Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3179 3180 [3181] 3182 3183 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9413289 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #47700 on: June 08, 2012, 02:58:16 pm »

No windows you can open?

I've broken into my own house once or twice.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47701 on: June 08, 2012, 03:01:39 pm »

Climb the drainpipe. Surprisingly, they are quite strong.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47702 on: June 08, 2012, 03:02:45 pm »

As for APs, sure they aren't required, but they help in making the impression that 'this student has pushed herself hard and got results'.
As far as I know, colleges don't care much if you've taken AP classes, past the fact that you may already have some credit. Not all colleges accept all AP credit anyway.

EDIT: In sad, I guess this week I'll be finding out what the minimum I can do to get by in this class is. I've done none of the reading. Fridays we have a quiz over the online readings; it's due at 11PM. I'll have a few hours to do that, after I finish what I'm doing now. Perhaps the worst part is that I expect I'll still do well. So far, college has turned out to be no better than high school. And when school proper starts back up, I'll have to deal with both.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:08:37 pm by Lectorog »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #47703 on: June 08, 2012, 03:06:49 pm »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:31:46 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #47704 on: June 08, 2012, 03:52:24 pm »

I finally get off my butt and decide to learn how to use that non sharp jian that's been sitting in the basement. And then I realize that I have no idea where to start/learn it from
It's FEF, not FEOF

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #47705 on: June 08, 2012, 05:35:54 pm »

http://thedailywh.at/2012/06/08/end-of-an-era-of-the-day-34/
Comedian mechanics Tom and Ray Magliozzi — perhaps better know as Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers — are throwing in the oil rag after 35 years hosting Car Talk, 25 of them on NPR. Producers will take over the reins this fall.

“My brother has always been ‘work-averse,’” says Ray, 63. “Now, apparently, even the one hour a week is killing him!”

“It’s brutal!” adds Tom, 74.
Nooooooooooooo D:

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47706 on: June 08, 2012, 05:49:16 pm »

Well shit.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47707 on: June 08, 2012, 06:07:21 pm »

How much do you want to bet that they give the spot to the splendid table or Diane Reems? If they do, I'm going to quit listen to NPR entirely. Diane Reems already gets nine to ten or something, and then the splendid table gets the midafternoon spot. All Things Considered or something NEEDS that over those two shows. Seriously. (This is a rant about STL NPR, but thats still depressing because I actually sort of learned something and laughed at car talk, while the other two shows suck to high heaven).

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #47708 on: June 08, 2012, 06:11:49 pm »

How much do you want to bet that they give the spot to the splendid table or Diane Reems? If they do, I'm going to quit listen to NPR entirely. Diane Reems already gets nine to ten or something, and then the splendid table gets the midafternoon spot. All Things Considered or something NEEDS that over those two shows. Seriously. (This is a rant about STL NPR, but thats still depressing because I actually sort of learned something and laughed at car talk, while the other two shows suck to high heaven).
Ah, but you can also find NPR stations online and listen all the time.
As for Car Talk, seems it will still be around:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/06/08/154576808/car-talk-guys-are-retiring-but-their-best-stuff-will-be-rebroadcast
NPR will continue to distribute the weekly show ... to stations across the country. Beginning in October, the Car Talk production team will actively produce new shows built from the best of its 25 years of material – more than 1,200 shows – with some updates from the brothers. The guys will also still write their twice weekly Dear Tom and Ray column, and put their feet in their mouths in surprising new ways on the web and Facebook. ...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47709 on: June 08, 2012, 09:24:39 pm »

My Cultural Anthropology class makes me sad.
I was thinking I would learn how culture works - all of the elements that define it, how people work together, the similarities and differences of culture over distance and time, etc. But it seems as though it's about learning to look at the world in a particular way. And I really don't like that.
Also, I was able to complete a week's worth of material in about three hours. And as this is a 5-week class, that week should be equivalent to about four weeks. The midterm is coming up, and I think an hour or two of reading and reviewing should get me an A on that, or at the least a B. I'm starting to reconsider going to college.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #47710 on: June 08, 2012, 09:30:31 pm »

My Cultural Anthropology class makes me sad.
I was thinking I would learn how culture works - all of the elements that define it, how people work together, the similarities and differences of culture over distance and time, etc. But it seems as though it's about learning to look at the world in a particular way. And I really don't like that.
Also, I was able to complete a week's worth of material in about three hours. And as this is a 5-week class, that week should be equivalent to about four weeks. The midterm is coming up, and I think an hour or two of reading and reviewing should get me an A on that, or at the least a B. I'm starting to reconsider going to college.
Moral of this story: you wouldn't do well in a liberal arts major. :P

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47711 on: June 08, 2012, 09:32:52 pm »

No, not at all. I'm going to go into Computer Science, but I'm questioning the usefulness of it. Apart from the degree, I don't see anything to be gained. I still have about a year to decide, so at least there's that.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #47712 on: June 08, 2012, 09:34:33 pm »

Is it an intro class? 101s don't really have much content. It sucks, but you really need to get to 300 level social science classes before you start learning the really cool stuff.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47713 on: June 08, 2012, 09:37:04 pm »

You ARE misunderstanding the fundamental purpose of college, though, pretty severely.

Stop doing that.

Also seconding the above - aim for 400 or 500 level if you can, those are the best, but you need to get to 300 level before much of anything actually happens.

So while that's going on, stick to what makes college important - get to know the staff in your department, get to know the people in your major that are going to go on to be successful, work with them, and spend a good chunk of your free time on professional development - As a comp sci major, that's incredibly straightforward.

College is an opportunity for you to spend a whole lot of time programming, around other people who are also fledgling (and super-experienced) programmers.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47714 on: June 08, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »

It's an intro class. It's the only "social science" class I'll be taking directly through a college (I'm taking Psychology and Sociology next year as dual-credit high school courses, and that'll have the required credits secured). It's also my first college class of any kind; I don't know if it's a good introduction.

You ARE misunderstanding the fundamental purpose of college, though, pretty severely.

Stick to what makes college important - get to know the staff in your department, get to know the people in your major that are going to go on to be successful, work with them, and spend a good chunk of your free time on professional development - As a comp sci major, that's incredibly straightforward.

College is an opportunity for you to spend a whole lot of time programming, around other people who are also fledgling (and super-experienced) programmers.
I always thought the point of college was to learn things. I've never been able to wrap my head around the concept of "integration into the community to secure your future". Maybe that's because I'm so terrible at social involvement I can't picture it.
Pages: 1 ... 3179 3180 [3181] 3182 3183 ... 8166