Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3178 3179 [3180] 3181 3182 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9412555 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #47685 on: June 08, 2012, 08:03:25 am »

Since there isn't some kind of shrieking hell-vortex in New England

Rural Maine.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47686 on: June 08, 2012, 08:05:29 am »

Actually, there is, it's under Providence. I think there might be another one, too, but I forget where - New England has the highest per capita concentration of hell-vortexes though.

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47687 on: June 08, 2012, 09:34:42 am »

I can<t find the squirelle i love so much in the park I think he<s dead... im really so fuckin sad about this...... ....
Hope your in squirrel heaven with nuts and all !!!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47688 on: June 08, 2012, 09:54:02 am »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #47689 on: June 08, 2012, 10:05:34 am »

Spoiler: self-deprecation (click to show/hide)

TLDR: Americans have it so easy!  :'( Everything boils down to money, & how much of it. Korean education is a pressure cooker which impossibly doesn't seem to burst. It is a vicious cycle, positive reinforcement, where the act of trying to keep up makes the process stronger.

(goes into corner)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #47690 on: June 08, 2012, 10:51:49 am »

Spoiler: self-deprecation (click to show/hide)

TLDR: Americans have it so easy!  :'( Everything boils down to money, & how much of it. Korean education is a pressure cooker which impossibly doesn't seem to burst. It is a vicious cycle, positive reinforcement, where the act of trying to keep up makes the process stronger.

(goes into corner)

That sucks, Skyrunner. American education, for all its flaws, is much less brutal than what I hear about a lot of Asian education systems. Pity you won't be able to come over here for college, I imagine you'd enjoy it a lot.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47691 on: June 08, 2012, 10:55:26 am »

I... am not sure I understood all that. Why can't you go to college in America? Why does it have to be America and not, say, Australia, or New Zealand (I know quite a few Korean students who went to Auckland University)? Or even Europe or something?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #47692 on: June 08, 2012, 11:17:30 am »

Come to the Netherlands :P. Everyone speaks English anyway and half the studies are giving in English as well.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #47693 on: June 08, 2012, 11:19:24 am »

o-O

Uh... because I probably can't qualify for a good college without APs or other baggage, and ... a bunch of other reasons. Mostly tied with the crappy high schools in Korea. I can't keep my GPA in Korea up while also preparing for American colleges, at least without a boatload of money.

As for Australian colleges, I never inquired of them at all :P I guess I didn't think of them, being mentally partially American and such. Could you maybe point me to a nice site with information of them?

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47694 on: June 08, 2012, 12:09:41 pm »

I wouldn't rule it out until you've applied. The vast majority of Universities in the US have very low entry requirements and will trample over themselves to get more foreign students (to increase "diversity" and because you usually pay twice the rate of locals ;) )

Also, I must be misunderstanding what you mean by APs, because American APs have no impact on college admissions except at the most prestigious schools, they just mean you get college credit on them when you first start, and even the schools that like them certainly don't see them as a defining factor.

And most of them will also be more than understanding of your grade not translating exactly to American grades... and is University really something you need to 'prepare' for? Most university students I know never did...

Are you sure you really understand how the American system works?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47695 on: June 08, 2012, 12:42:09 pm »

FWIW, most American schools aren't worth the money you'll pay (except for the prestige factor, which from what I know of Korean and Chinese educational systems, is superior to many domestic institutions).

In China at least, the prestige thing is changing. The top domestic schools like Beida (Peking University) and Qinghua (Tsinghua University) are so incredibly difficult to get into that the students there are of terrifyingly high caliber. The up-and-coming generation is beginning to take a dimmer view of American universities and of the students that choose to go there (with an implicit implication that Chinese that go to US schools "weren't good enough to get into Beida"). There's also a negative view of the considerable portion of US college life that is non-academic. I've had it asked of me why Chinese should go to American schools when all they care about is "sports, sex and drinking". There's a handful of US schools that still rank very highly over there in specific disciplines (like MIT, Cal Tech, Johns Hopkins, etc.) but overall the impetus is returning towards domestic institutions, in no small part because the domestic institutions have rapidly developed in the post-Mao era away from ideologically inclined institutions into pure research and devlopment hubs.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #47696 on: June 08, 2012, 12:50:47 pm »

Yes, prestige factor :P

As for APs, sure they aren't required, but they help in making the impression that 'this student has pushed herself hard and got results'.

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #47697 on: June 08, 2012, 02:46:57 pm »

goddamnit, me and my brother are locked out of the house, we now have to wait 4-5 hours before our mother shows up.
nothing

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47698 on: June 08, 2012, 02:47:33 pm »

goddamnit, me and my brother are locked out of the house, we now have to wait 4-5 hours before our mother shows up.
At least you have Internet?  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #47699 on: June 08, 2012, 02:51:00 pm »

I get 2 bars of wifi from the backyard of my house
nothing
Pages: 1 ... 3178 3179 [3180] 3181 3182 ... 8166