Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3177 3178 [3179] 3180 3181 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9415265 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #47670 on: June 07, 2012, 04:59:10 pm »

I used to be heavily involved with the forum on Home of the Underdogs years ago (and I mean YEARS ago...well over a decade now), and I stumbled today across the sad remnants of the various site reboots. Sporadic messages from around 2009 with familiar handles, then it just kind of stops. It's a weird feeling....like finding notes in a Zombie Apocalypse-type game indicating where the survivors were trying to go, and then nothing.  :(

Also found a long and interesting interview with Sarinee Achavanuntakul, the woman who founded and ran the site. Glad to see she's doing well for herself but it was still kind of bittersweet, as a reminder of things that have passed and shall be no more.
It was a sad, sad day when that site died. Of course, by then, most of the game reviews were copy-pasted from other databases, and the site was never all that well-built. but it was a cornerstone of my early internet days.

Although, thinking back, that site gives me an idea.

Somewhat rambling theoretical nonsese. Feel free to ignore.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47671 on: June 07, 2012, 07:53:30 pm »

Oh hey, I found those Warcraft 3 CDs I never used. Let's try them out.
LATER.....
Wow shit I got owned really hard really fast
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47672 on: June 07, 2012, 08:09:51 pm »

Effortlessly twining two aspects of the recent conversation together:  I was sad to reinstall Warcraft 3 and head to Battle.net.  All the lovely old maps were nowhere to be seen.  No Parasite.  No Uther Party.  No Zerg Infestation.  It was hostbot after hostbot of DotA and Escape maps.  Most of them were up for hours with no players.

It was like going to the house you grew up in and finding it boarded up.

Also, I found possibly the most reprehensible show on TV since that Lie Detector show.  Haunted Collector.  Typical Ghost Hunting show, with a twist.  The guy finds items that "store ghost energy" and takes them to his museum in New England, to make the ghosts go away.  Since there isn't some kind of shrieking hell-vortex in New England, I'm assuming these objects aren't actually haunted.

You know what that means?  That means some mother fucker is going to vulnerable people and stealing their antiques, under the pretense of "ghost hunting." 
Shoes...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47673 on: June 07, 2012, 08:23:35 pm »

Eduard Khil is off trolololin' with the Lovecraftian beings now ;_;

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47674 on: June 07, 2012, 08:36:42 pm »

I looked up 'internet meme' on wikipedia, and one of the 'see also' links was 4chan.

normally, that wouldn't bother me, but it was at the top of the list
Aren't they the originators of lots of internet memes? Makes sense to me.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47675 on: June 07, 2012, 09:02:53 pm »

"see also: 4chan"

Nothanks.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47676 on: June 07, 2012, 09:06:20 pm »

Effortlessly twining two aspects of the recent conversation together:  I was sad to reinstall Warcraft 3 and head to Battle.net.  All the lovely old maps were nowhere to be seen.  No Parasite.  No Uther Party.  No Zerg Infestation.  It was hostbot after hostbot of DotA and Escape maps.  Most of them were up for hours with no players.
<3 Parasite. That's the first custom game in WCIII I played. I lost horribly.

I won the third round I played, months later!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #47677 on: June 08, 2012, 03:56:12 am »

I'm going to a big reunion for the Christian club I used to hang out with at my last college.  I'm not sure how many of them know I don't believe in God and know that I'm gay.  At some point, I may have to explain myself.  I'm ok with this though.  I spent four years with these people, even if they believe I'm an abomination/sinner/sodomite, I'm willing to extend the hand of friendship and hope they don't bite it off.  If they treat me like a person still, maybe there's hope that Christians can accept gays.  If they treat me bad, I'm more than willing to join the "Christians suck" "God sucks" brigade.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #47678 on: June 08, 2012, 05:27:11 am »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #47679 on: June 08, 2012, 07:02:57 am »

I'm going to a big reunion for the Christian club I used to hang out with at my last college.  I'm not sure how many of them know I don't believe in God and know that I'm gay.  At some point, I may have to explain myself.  I'm ok with this though.  I spent four years with these people, even if they believe I'm an abomination/sinner/sodomite, I'm willing to extend the hand of friendship and hope they don't bite it off.  If they treat me like a person still, maybe there's hope that Christians can accept gays.  If they treat me bad, I'm more than willing to join the "Christians suck" "God sucks" brigade.
"Christians suck" "God sucks"
Should it not be the other way around? It are (if thing do not go as you hope they will) your friends who choose to assume the intolerance they grew up in has a (true) religious foundation. Not the God who never said a clear word about it.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #47680 on: June 08, 2012, 07:30:04 am »

The responsible answer is 'A certain subset of the Christian population sucks'.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47681 on: June 08, 2012, 07:33:22 am »

Even better, "this particular group of people suck." Confirmation bias is no good.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #47682 on: June 08, 2012, 07:34:20 am »

I sometimes forget that technically something being true isn't good enough. Good call.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47683 on: June 08, 2012, 07:41:26 am »

I used to be heavily involved with the forum on Home of the Underdogs years ago (and I mean YEARS ago...well over a decade now), and I stumbled today across the sad remnants of the various site reboots. Sporadic messages from around 2009 with familiar handles, then it just kind of stops. It's a weird feeling....like finding notes in a Zombie Apocalypse-type game indicating where the survivors were trying to go, and then nothing.  :(

Yeah, on a lark I've before gone back to visit some forums I used to frequent.  One in particular struck me as poignant when I noticed the trolliest old guy had apparently recanted and then finally got himself banned anyway.  But it was a forum for a small webcomic, and when the comic ended, apparently the forum lingered on for a half a year until it was about four people having these constant circlejerk arguments, and they just stopped coming.  It was always a depressing place, but it felt like stumbling onto the last encampment of a dead expedition or something.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47684 on: June 08, 2012, 08:00:46 am »

I haven't gone back to my old forum-home. My last memories were good - hanging out with the artist from Dresden Codak before he was cool, and a bunch of other neat people. Really brought my philosophy on life and the world to where it is today.

I don't particularly want to know what happened to it - it can't be better than the memories, and as an EZboard, it has to be utterly dead by now.
Pages: 1 ... 3177 3178 [3179] 3180 3181 ... 8166