Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3176 3177 [3178] 3179 3180 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9415262 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #47655 on: June 07, 2012, 12:55:01 am »

Boats are awesome. So are the sea. Together they are pretty much the best thing. And if you keep them in the right place you don't have to pay anything. Thus "bad boys" are awesome if you keep them locked up in the basement.

Your metaphore is creepy, Truean.
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47656 on: June 07, 2012, 01:27:27 am »

Oh man here I am jumping into the boat conversation without knowing that it was tied to a metaphor. Go me.

I suppose it didn't make me sad, but this thought made me feel solemn, or atleast more at ease. I was thinking about the girl that rejected me, and in typical fashion I was busy thinking about all the things I did and what I could have done to make it better, and that I wanted to say I was sorry for whatever it was I did, but I can't. However, also on my mind was the fulfillment of having a busy day, going around town, enduring the heat, and manually job hunting. During my outing, I had turned into a lane too soon and almost got into an accident with two other drivers. While the entire incident only lasted a couple seconds with noone worse for wear, it produces similar thoughts of "What did I do wrong, and how could I do I have done that better?" and "I wish I could apologize" which are much more easily defined, but my brain took those two things I was thinking about, and banged up some nice little wisdom for me to chew on:

Sometimes people make mistakes. Small mistakes can leave people jostled, and big mistakes can leave people seriously hurt. Sometimes you can't even say you're sorry when you do make them, even if you want to, and if you're able, sometimes it doesn't even matter. You can spend your days thinking about these things, but remember that you have larger destinations in mind that can't be sidetracked by the petty things that happen in life. Just do your best to avoid the serious mistakes, and focus on the grander destinations in life, it's all you can do really.

/mybrainpretendingtobeConfucius

Oh well, time for bed.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47657 on: June 07, 2012, 01:36:17 am »

I kinda like that, Josh.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #47658 on: June 07, 2012, 03:04:39 am »

I suppose there's the 50-60% of people who divorce in the U.S....

I hate to misrepresented statistic.

it's 50% of marrages end in divorce, not 50% of married people get divorces.

Take my friend and his (current) wife, he's been married 4 times before, she's been married 5 times before... to balance that out thier 9 failed marraiges there are 9 couples who are married 'until death do us part'. The smaller fraction of people with many divorces skew the statistics making marriage look more risky.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #47659 on: June 07, 2012, 05:48:15 am »

Went to a chinese buffet today.  Someone called the cops while we were there, and there was a big confrontation.  Overheard a lot, and I think someone showed up and tried to eat a ton of crab legs.  Being considerably more expensive than the rest of their options, the restaurant doesn't apply the all-you-can-eat thing to their crab legs.  I've known that about the place for years.  They cut the guy off, so he threw a fit and called the police.  He's now pressing charges against the restaurant, solely on the basis that he thought there should be no limitations whatsoever on an all-you-can-eat buffet.  I never thought I'd see someone so serious about fucking crab legs.  From the look on his face, you'd think he was the victim of some grave injustice.  He also looked twenty-something, so I guess this is that "sense of entitlement" thing people are always accusing my generation of having.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47660 on: June 07, 2012, 05:59:15 am »

Net has stopped working 8 times in under 2 minutes.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47661 on: June 07, 2012, 06:01:49 am »

Net has stopped working 8 times in under 2 minutes.
Got the same problem here whenever it rains. The cable company has replaced our cable box and all the cables underground in our yard and it's still a problem. We've known it's been under the street for a long time now, but the cable company doesn't want to admit it.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47662 on: June 07, 2012, 06:04:51 am »

Went to a chinese buffet today.  Someone called the cops while we were there, and there was a big confrontation.  Overheard a lot, and I think someone showed up and tried to eat a ton of crab legs.  Being considerably more expensive than the rest of their options, the restaurant doesn't apply the all-you-can-eat thing to their crab legs.  I've known that about the place for years.  They cut the guy off, so he threw a fit and called the police.  He's now pressing charges against the restaurant, solely on the basis that he thought there should be no limitations whatsoever on an all-you-can-eat buffet.  I never thought I'd see someone so serious about fucking crab legs.  From the look on his face, you'd think he was the victim of some grave injustice.  He also looked twenty-something, so I guess this is that "sense of entitlement" thing people are always accusing my generation of having.

The Simpsons did an episode exactly like that.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47663 on: June 07, 2012, 06:56:12 am »

Google doesn't seem to load. Crud.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47664 on: June 07, 2012, 11:32:43 am »

I kinda like that, Josh.
It's very zen. Ohmmmmm....

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47665 on: June 07, 2012, 12:33:44 pm »

Depends if it was falsely advertised or not, really.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47666 on: June 07, 2012, 03:02:47 pm »

Accidentally bought two of the same item on Ebay, not sure if I can get the second one cancelled. (Thought the one auction had already passed my max, so I went to anouther and bought it now. Turns out, I'd set a higher max than I thought on the first.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47667 on: June 07, 2012, 03:38:10 pm »

I used to be heavily involved with the forum on Home of the Underdogs years ago (and I mean YEARS ago...well over a decade now), and I stumbled today across the sad remnants of the various site reboots. Sporadic messages from around 2009 with familiar handles, then it just kind of stops. It's a weird feeling....like finding notes in a Zombie Apocalypse-type game indicating where the survivors were trying to go, and then nothing.  :(

Also found a long and interesting interview with Sarinee Achavanuntakul, the woman who founded and ran the site. Glad to see she's doing well for herself but it was still kind of bittersweet, as a reminder of things that have passed and shall be no more.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:40:20 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47668 on: June 07, 2012, 04:00:28 pm »

Oh yeah, that sucks. I had a similar experience a few years back, when trying to look up Graal stuff. It was a poor indie MMO that played like a 2D zelda; it had died a slow death.

I wouldn't have my name if it weren't for that game. Sadness.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #47669 on: June 07, 2012, 04:18:17 pm »

What, no, boats are great. Well, other people's boats are great. I wouldn't want to own one but I'd want my friend to. I'm not sure where this takes the metaphor.
Boats are boring and the people who like boats are boring. I am sorry, they are fine as conveyances if you need to get across water, but we can not be friends now if you think they are "great".

They are great though! The gentle rocking when at a standstill, the bobbing when moving at speeds, the wind and mist hitting you, the knowledge that you're directly above an entire world of underwater life, and they can be much much bigger than any car, you can live in them! What's not to love?
Also covering from birds bombing you with their droppings. Fun times!
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 ... 3176 3177 [3178] 3179 3180 ... 8166