Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3172 3173 [3174] 3175 3176 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9416020 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #47595 on: June 05, 2012, 02:40:55 pm »

For one thing, cartels hate independent operators.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #47596 on: June 05, 2012, 02:43:54 pm »

For one thing, cartels hate independent operators.  :P

True to a point, but really, you can mess up someone's life completely if you don't know what you're doing in this. Hell if a barber needs licensed so you don't get a bad haircut, I'd imagine it might be an idea to have someone know what they're doing before you risk going to prison, losing your house, or otherwise stepping in it. :P
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:11:42 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #47597 on: June 05, 2012, 02:46:55 pm »

Damn it.

My electric bill is almost $300 this month.

Who knew having a big house that everyone keeps at 70 degrees while they run 3 tv's all day and night with the lights on and leaving the freezer open in the garage (to spoil my burrito's and unchill my hardest of alcohols) would double my electric bill? The only good thing is that my breaker box is full so they can't run another 220 line to power the ceramic kiln.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47598 on: June 05, 2012, 02:52:36 pm »

True to a point, but really, you can mess up someone's life completely if you don't know what you're doing in this. Hell if a barber needs licensed so you don't get a bad haircut, I'd imagine it might be an idea to have someone know what they're doing before you risk going to prison, losing your house, or otherwise stepping in it. :P

Which is why you make licensing optional. The barbering example is perfect: The only purpose of licensing barbers is to make the market more difficult to enter and secure the government a nice little revenue stream in the process. Basically an agreement between the two : "You give us cash, we'll cut out a chunk of the competition"

Literally, that's the only justification for it. Blows. My. Mind.

I think optional licensing schemes, but they are no longer common.

Law is similar to engineering in a way - people can live or die based on the quality of your work, lives can be saved or ruined. And it can also be abused - like the guy who got charged with "practicing engineering without a license" for doing a bunch of paperwork and sending in a request to the city government to add traffic lights at two busy intersections after someone was killed.

And when licensing is turned into a for-profit industry, things go south pretty quickly...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:02:51 pm by GlyphGryph »

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #47599 on: June 05, 2012, 02:54:28 pm »

A little over a century ago your barber also used to do dental work and surgery.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #47600 on: June 05, 2012, 03:26:35 pm »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:37:09 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47601 on: June 05, 2012, 03:31:31 pm »

I Am Alive turn out to be really, really shitty.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47602 on: June 05, 2012, 03:32:02 pm »

If you get an 'A' (92% or higher) on the practical lab chem final, you don't have to take the written portion. However, my results (which are half the grade for it) were 30% of expected. Normally I wouldn't mind, but I have absolutely no clue where it went wrong. At all. :/
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #47603 on: June 05, 2012, 03:35:10 pm »

Sometimes you do worse, such is life. Dont beat yourself over it
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47604 on: June 05, 2012, 03:38:57 pm »

I hear you, but I have a completely different take on it. Fees too high, skill registry good.

So basically you make lower quality, perhaps dangerously lower quality, services available to what's really the poorer people.... Hey, may as well have "optionally licensed" doctors too right? This of course means unlicensed doctors.... The rich people will go to the licensed doctors and have excellent care; the poor people will go to the unlicensed ones and be butchered at times more or less. The poorer people get the short end of that no matter if it's a "minor issue" or not, cause things really should be done the right way....
First, I think you may have misunderstood my a little - I like optional licensing schemes for things like barbers, where lives aren't hanging in the balance - a recognition that this person knows what they are doing and that those who don't may not, use at your own risk. That's why I said it was better to compare law to engineering - the license is because the repercussions are so terrible that allowing untrained people to engage in the activity could ruin lives, and licensing is the only real way to insure they are trained (and when done well, this should be ALL it's doing, in my mind). Driving is another thing that falls under this category.

Generally, of course, I don't think those licenses should apply when the only life you risk ruining is your own (self-representing, driving on a closed course, surgerizing yourself), but that's something else.

And as to the other point, isn't that exactly the way it works now? The poor get the crappy lawyers and crappy doctors because the good ones get snatches up by people able to pay more? I don't see how licensing has... any impact at all on that, really.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #47605 on: June 05, 2012, 03:46:18 pm »

It sets standards. You need licensing to at the very least make sure that everyone who sets up shop as a lawyer or doctor is, in fact, a lawyer or a doctor.

(Here we don't have bar exams as such. You do need to be collegiated to work as a doctor, though. In general, it's considered that if you qualified for a title that the relevant national entities regard as valid, you can collegiate yourself as a... whatever)

(I do think the British system makes more sense overal, for the record)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:48:16 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47606 on: June 05, 2012, 04:04:15 pm »

I should add, once more - I don't have a problem with licensing for professions where quality is not just optional but necessary.

I do believe the government should have an obligation to make them available for free, though.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:17:50 pm by GlyphGryph »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47607 on: June 05, 2012, 04:20:36 pm »

There's a lot to be said for paid licensing. It helps to reduce the number of dilettantes and incompetents that get through the system, and makes you want that license, which helps, in theory, increase the number those who are in it less for the money than the principle.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47608 on: June 05, 2012, 04:24:38 pm »

That thing you just said doesn't make an ounce of sense.

"By blocking out people who can't pay and only allowing those who by definition must treat it as an investment rather than an act of principle, we'll get people are less likely to be in it for the money and more likely to be in it for the principle"

o_O

That logic seems completely backwards to me.

and
It helps to reduce the number of dilettantes and incompetents that get through the system
If they pass the licensing requirements, then they are neither. How does paying for it make them more or less capable?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47609 on: June 05, 2012, 04:39:36 pm »

I suppose that was poorly worded. There's a lot of people, myself being an excellent example, who are extremely good at tests of all sorts, but can't usually apply that information. These would be the category I referred to as incompetents. Having the licensing exam be free allows such people to amass a huge number of certifications and licensees that they really can't use, but they have equal weight in most ways to almost any other practitioner. Having a price on the test helps prevent that, as does requiring a degree.

The second category, dilettantes, aren't easily stopped by a degree requrement, as their interest will often sustain them long enough to pass, often with very high marks, and through the examination. Then, six months later, they lose interest in what they're doing and move on to something else, at a great deal of cost to everyone else involved. Having a price on the test can be enough to make this sort of person not go down that route in the first place, saving a great deal of trouble. This sort of person is particularly common in the high end fields such as law or medicine, as both attract a great deal of idealism.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 3172 3173 [3174] 3175 3176 ... 8166