Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3167 3168 [3169] 3170 3171 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9416410 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #47520 on: June 03, 2012, 07:33:14 pm »

Minor sad, minor sad. Primary cook person in house said cook "lots" of rice, when queried as to how much would be good idea for company.

Turned out I was the only person interested in eating rice. Which I'll probably be eating for the next two-three days. Not really a bad thing, per se, but I wasn't expecting to cook breakfast for people and end up cooking my full diet for the next few sunrises :-\
Most of what I eat when I'm on a tight budget is rice. If you want to mix it up, make some rice pudding for breakfast (raisins, eggs, milk, sugar, and cinnamon will do it). For dinner, make fried rice (butter, eggs, veggies/meat, soy sauce). I've also made a cheese/spinach quiche-like dish, a tuna-melt cassarole, and tomato-cream soup, all with rice as the featured grain. It's surprisingly flexible.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47521 on: June 03, 2012, 08:01:44 pm »

Oh... yeah, I've (regularly) mixed rice with pretty much everything else I eat. This particular batch was jasmine rice mixed with eggs, and about 3/4ths flavored with cheese and some leftover ramen flavoring -- rest was put aside in case someone wanted some plainer stuff. Breakfast rice is rice with eggs, bacon, and cheese added, but no one was interested in eating the rice so the bacon didn't get mixed in. Along with whatever else I feel like, heh.

I generally eat on about two USD per day (little more if I'm adding stuff beyond whatever the base is), less if I'm particularly desperate or particularly inactive that day. Maybe offset a little by the vitamins (I really need to get some more of :-\) I try to keep up with to offset the malnutrition risk eating mostly grain entails.

It's a side thng, but eating out often drives me a little crazy. I see a five dollar meal and think "I can eat for three days for that price." S'nice not to have to deal with preparation and taste something different, but it's still something my brain can't stand to do more than once or twice a month, max. More than that and it starts bothering me.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:07:52 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #47522 on: June 03, 2012, 08:58:32 pm »

Short or long grain rice? :3

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47523 on: June 03, 2012, 09:06:24 pm »

Ill stick to my eggs benedict for my breakfast as i never been of fan of rice in the morning unless its soup when im sick.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47524 on: June 03, 2012, 09:13:16 pm »

Rice is great. I cooked some rice yesterday, but it was terrible because I put too much water in.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #47525 on: June 03, 2012, 09:45:36 pm »

Am I the only person that aboslutely loathes rice in almost any form?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47526 on: June 03, 2012, 09:48:07 pm »

Probably not the only one. There's gotta' be, like, two of you. Somewhere.

But yeah. Cheap, filling enough, goes well with a lot of stuff. Like potatoes. Rice is my other potato.
Ask not!
Ask!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47527 on: June 03, 2012, 09:53:25 pm »

Rice is absolutely delish, at least for me.

Nasi goreng nanas, anyone?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47528 on: June 03, 2012, 09:58:26 pm »

Probably not the only one. There's gotta' be, like, two of you. Somewhere.

But yeah. Cheap, filling enough, goes well with a lot of stuff. Like potatoes. Rice is my other potato.
Yet you wonder why the government doesn't support the usage of rice in school cafeterias.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47529 on: June 03, 2012, 10:01:36 pm »

I have in fact never wondered that. I have seen cafeteria "food" bend forks. I have't thought of public school cafeteria food as edible in... over a decade? More accurately, I didn't even know that. Which government, and why?

Anyway, they totally had rice in th'collage cafeteria occasionally. Was pretty low qual stuff (as in, I've bought better for less than a nickel to the measurement unit), but it was there.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:03:32 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47530 on: June 03, 2012, 10:06:43 pm »

I have in fact never wondered that. I have seen cafeteria "food" bend forks. I have't thought of public school cafeteria food as edible in... over a decade? More accurately, I didn't even know that. Which government, and why?

Anyway, they totally had rice in th'collage cafeteria occasionally. Was pretty low qual stuff (as in, I've bought better for less than a nickel to the measurement unit), but it was there.
Just US government and school districts and what not. The stuff is cheap so its not like they are blowing a ton of cash on it plus it is healthier than potatoes. Schools can definitely get some better quality man.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #47531 on: June 03, 2012, 10:08:43 pm »

High school cafeteria uses absolutely garbage long-grain rice that's too fluffy and has a bad aftertaste :x
No wonder why it's always with strong sauces (General Tso's, buffalo sauce) or mixed with other tastes (fried rice, rice bowl).

I repeat: do ya'll eat long or short grain rice? :3
Short is stickier and more taste imo :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #47532 on: June 03, 2012, 10:11:06 pm »

I tend to eat long-grain rice at home, because that's what we buy (except for when it's arborio and I make risotto), but I do enjoy the shorter-grained stuff I get in Chinese restaurants more.

E: It really does depend on what kind of food it's going with. Shorter grain is more east-asian, longer is more subcontinental.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47533 on: June 03, 2012, 10:11:38 pm »

High school cafeteria uses absolutely garbage long-grain rice that's too fluffy and has a bad aftertaste :x
No wonder why it's always with strong sauces (General Tso's, buffalo sauce) or mixed with other tastes (fried rice, rice bowl).

I repeat: do ya'll eat long or short grain rice? :3
Short is stickier and more taste imo :P
Jasmine, sweet, long, short, brown i eat it all :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47534 on: June 03, 2012, 10:12:48 pm »

Why limit self to just one?

Mostly long grain, though, and mostly transitioning toward primarily brown. It's generally less expensive around here than short grain, hence the bias.

Still. Eat both happily. Short makes for interesting variance, and I do very much like it, but long's used more culturally here, usually, so it's easier to get.

Probably should nab some short next time I go shopping, though. Variety!
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 3167 3168 [3169] 3170 3171 ... 8167