Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3158 3159 [3160] 3161 3162 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423950 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #47385 on: May 30, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »

This is cross-thread, and a bit delayed, but it best fits here:

I've never really liked meat, and eat it less commonly than I eat things like beans or nuts for protein. I was a Vegetarian for about 1/3 of my life, and try to have a personal connection with any meat I eat; I fry and eat fish I catch, get beef from a small farm owned by a close family friend, etc. I can't always do that, especially being that I can't fish year-round, and don't care to hunt for wild animals when there are plenty of farm-raised animals for me to eat... but even when I can't, I take some time to personally recognize the animals I eat, what they went through to bring me that meal, and internally thank them for contributing to my life and survival.

It's my one concession to rituals and spirituality.
I am sure the dead animal appreciates the gesture.

I'm sure they don't know or care. I just think it's important for me to realize and be aware of that, so I don't lose sight of the interconnectedness of their lives and mine. Got to make my life worthwhile to thank them for giving theirs to sustain it.

I think it's pretty sinister, TBH. I don't mean this in an offensive way, for the record. It's just that, were I prey, I'd be more creeped out if my would-be-predators engaged in these kind of apologetics than if they just meant to kill and eat me without thinking it twice.
I largely agree with this sentiment.

If it actually made a sacrifice for you, reverence would be appropriate, but I feel that thanking something that suffered and died unwillingly and without knowing the reason is rather crass, and I see no reason to recognize any connection if you mean to munch on it anyway.

I think you mean well, but I disagree with your ritual.

I don't consider this apologetic, nor do I consider it sinister in the slightest. In fact, I'd think it much more sinister to consciously turn a blind eye, recognizing and pointedly not giving a damn, about the animals we kill and eat. I'm not thanking them for suffering and dying here (despite trying to minimize suffering by primarily supporting farms I know personally, or at least which hold themselves to more humane practices). It's like saying grace before a meal, but instead of thanking an imaginary omnipotent beard for my food, I'm thanking the food itself... not because I think it offsets my debt to the plants and animals that made it up, but because I need to recognize that I've taken lives in order to sustain my own.

I'm taking a loan from nature and the food web, which I'll eventually pay back when I bite it. Until then, I remind myself of my debt to nature to make sure I'm doing something worthwhile with the biological loan that is my life and existence. Recognizing this helps to keep me grounded and aware of the responsibilities I should be holding myself to in order to honor the sacrifices of these beings (as I honor the gifts and sacrifices of family, friends, and others) who have worked to get me where I am today.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:02:41 pm by Solifuge »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47386 on: May 30, 2012, 01:03:45 pm »

I'm very much aware young professionals get screwed in general, but with all due respect, that's actually not bad from what I've heard, and especially given all the benefits of living in Europe v. the US. However, I will say, call me when you feel you have to buy a bulletproof vest.... I own 3.

Is it wrong that I imagined them being in different fashionable colors?
....okay, so I'm not the only one.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47387 on: May 30, 2012, 01:07:21 pm »

Also, Jopax, can you tell me what the series was? Sounds good.

Show's called Pozitivna Geografija or Positive Geography
Not sure how many episodes there are on YT or even how many are subbed to english. Also one of the best intro themes ever despite it's shortness :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #47388 on: May 30, 2012, 06:33:57 pm »

Just got desktop back from computer repair guy. Paid him in full; was polite exchange.

He reloaded windows 7 on it and now things are rather different than I remember them.

Most annoyingly, the system won't recognize my wireless USB netgear adapter.... [sigh].
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47389 on: May 30, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »

Just got desktop back from computer repair guy. Paid him in full; was polite exchange.

He reloaded windows 7 on it and now things are rather different than I remember them.

Most annoyingly, the system won't recognize my wireless USB netgear adapter.... [sigh].
Well you gotta do driver install for that. Find the driver cd or download the driver from somewhere else and put that into a flash drive. While we techs fix everything, we don't do everything unless told to.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47390 on: May 30, 2012, 06:53:56 pm »

My brother is going to get a high paying job from my mum's boss, but he's still unsure about it because his girlfriend thinks it's a fraud, scam, sketchy, too good to be true, etc, even when it's already proven otherwise (20k + other tips worth almost 10k each, not something you see everyday).

This is why I hate my brother's girlfriend, because she doesn't trust him, respect him and almost always coerces him to do what she says, even if it's wrong, because she thinks she's right.

And if all else fails, she uses the 'debt' wildcard to force him, which always works.

Goddamn my mum didn't sell my brother to slavery. She thinks otherwise.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47391 on: May 30, 2012, 06:57:54 pm »

Well you gotta do driver install for that. Find the driver cd or download the driver from somewhere else and put that into a flash drive. While we techs fix everything, we don't do everything unless told to.

True, I'm not sad at him, I'm sad cause I feel stupid.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47392 on: May 30, 2012, 07:03:35 pm »

It's no big deal, just get the driver from their website. We all overlook things, especially simple things. Keep yer head up, Bringer of Law.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47393 on: May 30, 2012, 07:04:24 pm »

OWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW.

It appears I have a sunburn. THE PAIN.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47394 on: May 30, 2012, 08:13:27 pm »

It's no big deal, just get the driver from their website. We all overlook things, especially simple things. Keep yer head up, Bringer of Law.
Thankies.

Update, now on desktop, thing is running smoothly, though still with different feel to the operating system, which I had basically down to muscle memory. :)

Please don't quote me.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47395 on: May 30, 2012, 11:05:56 pm »

I think I lost the Cave Story+ touch. Maybe also the Terraria touch too.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47396 on: May 30, 2012, 11:40:17 pm »

According to my new Cultural Anthropology textbook*, I'm autistic. I brought this up jokingly, and apparently my mom thinks I have Asperger's. Hm.

*This same textbook has discussed cultural adaptation on the same level as biological adaptation. I'm not looking forward to these next five weeks.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #47397 on: May 30, 2012, 11:51:10 pm »

I feel like such an ignorant ass tonight. I have no idea why either; it's just that feeling.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47398 on: May 31, 2012, 12:08:21 am »

According to my new Cultural Anthropology textbook*, I'm autistic. I brought this up jokingly, and apparently my mom thinks I have Asperger's. Hm.

*This same textbook has discussed cultural adaptation on the same level as biological adaptation. I'm not looking forward to these next five weeks.

If there's one thing you shouldn't do, it's self-diagnose, even with the aid of a textbook. See someone who is an expert in autism about it.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #47399 on: May 31, 2012, 12:35:49 am »

Yesterday, when getting to bed I had a mildly sore throat, but upon waking up this morning I have the worst throat pain I've experienced in my life. Luckily it has eased up a bit since morning, but swallowing is still quite painful.
Pages: 1 ... 3158 3159 [3160] 3161 3162 ... 8167