Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3126 3127 [3128] 3129 3130 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9424175 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46905 on: May 19, 2012, 04:26:37 pm »

My mom's being a jerk.  I spent the semester with my roommate constantly asking when I was going to be gone, and complaining to her about it (also working ridiculously long study hours, and saying I couldn't wait until I'd be in a situation without constant due dates); the minute I got home, I got a nasty chest cold and have been sick all week.

Now my mom's been riding me every day about when I'm going to get back to work.  My first day home, she wanted me to spend the day cleaning my room so that her friend could stay in it (she said I'd be a "better" person if I spent my first day of vacation cleaning house for her friend).  This wasn't a minor little task you could just get out of the way.  The entire contents of my college dorm room were strewn across the floor, and there was about 20% more stuff in the room than there was storage space (hence I'd need to sort out a large number of things for getting rid of).  She's also upset that I didn't get to work so that we could have a yardsale this Saturday--she's been putting off a yardsale for years, and promised that she and my father would take care of it before I got home specifically so this wouldn't happen.  When I try to explain the situation to her, she gets upset because she "can't stand people being critical of her anymore."

I'm really tired of this, and I'm tired of her saying things like "We had an agreement that you'd rest three days and then you'd get to work, so you have to do it!  I can't trust you to work on your own!  What do you think other middle-class kids would do in your situation?!  You aren't THAT sick, so go get to work!  I don't think you want to spend your time like this!"

Well, mom, I'm just a little bit tired of people exerting control over me because they think I'm incapable and infantile.  I'm also tired of their breaking agreements because they have a reasonable situation, and my broken statements being seen as some sort of breach of contract.

*sigh*

I'm really miserable right now and I wish I could talk to m'boy, but I'm kind of not sure that I should.  It's only been a week, after all.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46906 on: May 19, 2012, 05:41:22 pm »

Parents and family often don't get it. Worse they somehow think that making your life harder will "toughen you up." Because we all know the way to strengthen a wall is to bang against it constantly with a sledge hammer....

My immensely corrupt brother whom I have purposefully not spoken to or seen in ... I dunno ... 6 years has married, and had two kids, both with of whom are special needs..... He told no one and I found out about it through someone else.... He's obsessed with Ayn Rand and The Fountainhead. How anyone didn't get the takeaway from that story was to help Howard Roark create rather than spit on him, I'll never understand.

My brother somehow subscribes to the "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" nonsense. Tell that to a quadriplegic.

You strengthen people by giving them a legitimate leg up and teaching/enabling them to fish....

So now I look like the heartless bastard who ignores his special needs nephew and niece. I literally didn't know they existed.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #46907 on: May 19, 2012, 07:08:04 pm »

Yeah, I'll say that one of the most irritating situations is parents who find themselves stuck in the mindset of being parents. To be more specific, being caught in the mindset of being the authority responsible for everything that has to happen - it seems like it's hard for a lot of people to get used to the idea that their kids are at a point where they want and need to be making decisions about when to clean, what to work on, and so on themselves, and that they can be trusted to actually do them without needing to be held to a schedule by anybody else. I've been really lucky to dodge that particular bullet, and I've got some good friends who haven't (and it's an enormous source of stress whenever they're home with family).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46908 on: May 19, 2012, 07:10:49 pm »

Me and my grandma are walking through a parking lot and she sees a girl in short shorts, immediately saying, "Girls these days don't keep anything covered up and then when something happens they wonder why."

Oh, grandma.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46909 on: May 20, 2012, 01:16:05 am »

I lit a barbecue. Gurrrggghh smoke
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46910 on: May 20, 2012, 01:45:53 am »

I was never officially roped into it, but due to circumstance I'm presently sitting for a friend, while he proceeds and continues to trip... and hard. Most of it involves making sure he isn't strangling himself with one of my Playstation controllers or knocking a table or chair on himself while he rolls around on the floor... that and making sure that he doesn't leave the premises. He's not presented much danger to himself yet, but I'm still worried about him.

Normally, this wouldn't be much of an issue, but I work an early shift at the lab tomorrow morning, and am up about 4 hours after I intended to be. Tired going on exhausted right now. Meanwhile, he's is showing no signs of coming down... and I can't rightly sleep until I know he's going to be alright.

This is why you don't do drugs, kids. :I

On the okay side, watching him has been kind of entertaining at times. Favorite line so far: "Leave me alone among the cats. They are my people!" That, and laying on his back saying "Give me art!", at which point he gathers a pile of books filled with illustrations and holds them to his chest. "Inhale, exhale, spiders," by contrast, is kinda creepy, and I don't really want to know what inspired that. Also, his atonal singing isn't really easy-listening, but he seems to be enjoying himself. As of right now, he is "Trying to capture God." Something about "If God is seen as our Father, and our Father failed... what does that say about us?" Also, he keeps quoting the Ancient Aliens guy: "I'm not saying it was aliens, but..."

Welp, such is life. I can handle a short weekend shift on little sleep, I think... and this is certainly an experience.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:51:58 am by Solifuge »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #46911 on: May 20, 2012, 01:49:21 am »

Give him an animated gif of hypnotoad to watch.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46912 on: May 20, 2012, 01:52:39 am »

Give him the internet.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46913 on: May 20, 2012, 02:15:19 am »

Already done. The internet is a fairly harmless thing, and entertaining, and I'm doing my best to make sure the room is filled with mostly harmless, entertaining things. I don't want to upset him, since I have no idea what he's experiencing, so hypnotoad is probably a no-go. Besides, I think he's gone introspective right now... more nonsense musing on things and laughing to himself than anything else.

Bleh, fading pretty fast. I need to do something to keep awake, but I really don't want to play games or anything. It would be pretty spiffing to have someone who wasn't in an altered state to talk with right now. I'mma probably trawl through Googlechat and see if anyone is up yet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46914 on: May 20, 2012, 02:17:37 am »

Wow... uh. This kid.
On the okay side, watching him has been kind of entertaining at times. Favorite line so far: "Leave me alone among the cats. They are my people!" That, and laying on his back saying "Give me art!", at which point he gathers a pile of books filled with illustrations and holds them to his chest. "Inhale, exhale, spiders," by contrast, is kinda creepy, and I don't really want to know what inspired that. Also, his atonal singing isn't really easy-listening, but he seems to be enjoying himself. As of right now, he is "Trying to capture God." Something about "If God is seen as our Father, and our Father failed... what does that say about us?" Also, he keeps quoting the Ancient Aliens guy: "I'm not saying it was aliens, but..."

Tripping: you think you're being enlightened in a lot of incredibly important things, but to an outside observer you're just rambling and making yourself look like a douchebag--

wait--

oh god

LSD makes you a philosophy major

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46915 on: May 20, 2012, 02:31:28 am »

Wow... uh. This kid.

Tripping: you think you're being enlightened in a lot of incredibly important things, but to an outside observer you're just rambling and making yourself look like a douchebag--

wait--

oh god

LSD makes you a philosophy major

That's not even nice. :I

There's a difference between discussing the merits of an idea, learning and employing rhetorical devices to prove and disprove things, and the art of thought itself... and rambling about how your hands control local space, but anything yellow is outside your control.

EDIT: Pardon that. My humor receptors are kinda dead tonight.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:33:02 am by Solifuge »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #46916 on: May 20, 2012, 07:27:50 am »

Finished reading The Hunger Games. I'm not sad because it was a particularly gripping read or whatever, I'm sad because I'm moving out before long and shouldn't be buying any more books, so I've nothing to read.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46917 on: May 20, 2012, 07:30:21 am »

Library? Fan fiction/free ebook stuff? Where will, way. Sometimes, anyway.

Alternately, check thrift shops or whatever. Sometimes can get book for quarter. Get all the books.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46918 on: May 20, 2012, 08:42:45 am »

I've gotten some great deals on books at Thrift shops. Got a full box of Chaosium Call of Cthulhu books once - not much for ready, but still super awesome.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46919 on: May 20, 2012, 08:52:56 am »

It also happens to not apply to inanimate/nonorganic objects.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 3126 3127 [3128] 3129 3130 ... 8167