Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3102 3103 [3104] 3105 3106 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443864 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46545 on: May 08, 2012, 04:52:04 pm »

Didn't get this job. Sigh.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46546 on: May 08, 2012, 04:53:47 pm »

Didn't get this job. Sigh.

[hugs] For what it's worth: their loss....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46547 on: May 08, 2012, 05:04:14 pm »

It's a summer job, so I thought I was pretty much guaranteed to get it back because I had been there before and therefore had experience, but apparently someone complained that preferring people who had been there before was favoritism.

Oh well, maybe I'll actually get to work in Louisville and have fun this summer.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46548 on: May 08, 2012, 05:05:19 pm »

It's a summer job, so I thought I was pretty much guaranteed to get it back because I had been there before and therefore had experience, but apparently someone complained that preferring people who had been there before was favoritism.

Oh well, maybe I'll actually get to work in Louisville and have fun this summer.

We call that "hiring people who worked the job before" experience and preferring the people who "know what the hell they're doing." :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #46549 on: May 08, 2012, 05:20:43 pm »

Wait what. That's a thing? I mean, my middle and ring follow each other to a tee, that's hard to break, but the pinky? Really?
Man, I have spent the last six months trying to improve my ring finger independence. You get it free of the middle and it's still stuck to the pinky. But yeah, just let one follow the other and the pinky should end up on the D string with a little practice.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #46550 on: May 08, 2012, 05:48:56 pm »

Only one person is posting in my game so far and my internet is set up to deactivate from 6 PM to 12 so it'll deactivate in 10 minute. And now I'm sad because I'm making myself look whiny :(
It's FEF, not FEOF

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #46551 on: May 08, 2012, 06:00:51 pm »

Wait what. That's a thing? I mean, my middle and ring follow each other to a tee, that's hard to break, but the pinky? Really?
Man, I have spent the last six months trying to improve my ring finger independence. You get it free of the middle and it's still stuck to the pinky. But yeah, just let one follow the other and the pinky should end up on the D string with a little practice.

Since when is ring/middle finger a thing? Mine have always been independent. Ring and pinky, on the other hand, are the two 'strength' fingers, so it makes sense they're not as agile.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46552 on: May 08, 2012, 06:04:53 pm »

It must be an individual thing. My fingers are almost entirely independent unless I try to touch my wrist or something extreme like that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46553 on: May 08, 2012, 06:40:51 pm »

My pointer is independent, my pinky is independent, and my middle and index are tied like a knot.

It's like... holding a ball. The degree of dependence is how close they are to each other, and only the thumb is further away than the pinky (for me)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #46554 on: May 08, 2012, 07:24:33 pm »

It varies from person to person but the ring finger generally shares a tendon on with both the middle and pinky finger. A good way to test your finger independence is to rest your hand on your fingertips like you're playing piano and then raise one finger at a time. Most people end up having a lot of trouble with the ring.

It also depends on what you're doing. Most fingers are independent enough for even most guitar playing, but sometimes you have to do something like extend your ring finger while simultaneously flexing your middle and that's when you really notice.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46555 on: May 08, 2012, 07:34:25 pm »

My pointer is independent, my pinky is independent, and my middle and index are tied like a knot.

It's like... holding a ball. The degree of dependence is how close they are to each other, and only the thumb is further away than the pinky (for me)
I am the same
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46556 on: May 08, 2012, 07:48:09 pm »

In science, my friend asked what the colors on the periodic table meant (Red for gases, blue for liquids, etc. Those ones.). Then he asked where water was.

:'(

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #46557 on: May 08, 2012, 08:02:47 pm »

In science, my friend asked what the colors on the periodic table meant (Red for gases, blue for liquids, etc. Those ones.). Then he asked where water was.

:'(
Is your friend Aristotle?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46558 on: May 08, 2012, 08:34:58 pm »

Well, it looks like I lose. My state's voters overwhelmingly voted FOR state constitutional amendment that defines marriage as between one man and one woman. Screw you guys.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #46559 on: May 08, 2012, 08:42:51 pm »

Join me in my state, where we repeal such awful laws and then... uh... fire the judges responsible for doing their jobs. Shit.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 3102 3103 [3104] 3105 3106 ... 8167