Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3096 3097 [3098] 3099 3100 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448225 times)

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46455 on: May 07, 2012, 01:23:37 pm »

I don't think that's sad so much as... kind of gross I guess. Good thing it got replaced though.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46456 on: May 07, 2012, 01:28:40 pm »

I really hate today's resume' formatting system, which is never fully spelled out....

I'm applying for a contract attorney position (procurement). basically, I have to describe the contracts and legal agreements I've worked on. a.) attorney client privilege makes that hard, b.) I have no idea how many contracts and legal agreements I've done over the years.  I've literally lost count. I have no damn idea how to describe what I've done.

The sheer amount of purchase agreements, leases, land contracts, automobile sales agreements, commercial supply and other related contracts, in addition to the settlement agreements, foreclosure modifications, short sales, deeds in lieu of foreclosure, separation/shared parenting agreements, plea bargains, and god knows what else, I've done, is huge. These guys want me to describe it all? [head desk]. Really?

Is it blatantly obvious that H.R./personnel people have no clue what my job is/would be, and thus have no business being the ones making this hiring decision?

:(
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:30:34 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46457 on: May 07, 2012, 01:32:51 pm »

Is it blatantly obvious that H.R./personnel people have no clue what my job is/would be, and thus have no business being the ones making this hiring decision?
They usually won't be. There are simply the screen between you and the people who will actually make such decisions, so those important people aren't swamped with dumb applicants. If they (the HR team) knew enough to do their job well, they'd be busy doing something more important, after all!

the penguin fad is over
I just realised.
Until next time! :P
(roughly a year from now)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46458 on: May 07, 2012, 01:33:32 pm »

I just got notified of this via email.
In 2002, a special needs student named Andre McCollins was allegedly strapped down and electrocuted for hours, leaving him with permanent brain damage, all because he refused to take off his jacket. The people torturing Andre were officials at his school. You can watch what happened on video.

The video was shot at a Massachusetts school for special needs kids called the Judge Rotenberg Center (JRC). Gregory Miller used to be a teacher there, and he says electrocuting kids as punishment is extremely common -- even for minor offenses like raising your hand to go to the bathroom.

"A non-verbal, nearly blind girl with cerebral palsy was shocked for attempts to hold a staff member's hand -- her attempts to communicate and to be loved," Gregory says.

Gregory desperately wants to help the kids at the JRC --that's why he started a petition on Change.org demanding that the JRC stop using electroshock to punish kids. Click here to add your name.

Gregory says the JRC's founder created electroshock devices which are even stronger than police stun guns to punish students for bad behavior. An official at the United Nations said that using these devices on children is considered torture.

According to the Boston Globe, the JRC’s founder resigned after being charged with misleading a grand jury by destroying video footage of other students being shocked.

Gregory believes that if thousands of people sign his petition, his former bosses will capitulate in the intense pressure generated by a national spotlight.

Click here to sign Gregory's petition demanding that the JRC immediately cease its practice of punishing special needs kids with electroshock devices.

Thanks for being a change-maker,

- Jon and the Change.org team
Also, this.
Why the fuck is this guy not in jail?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46459 on: May 07, 2012, 01:44:24 pm »

On a scale of 1 to What The Fuck is This Shit?, 11.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46460 on: May 07, 2012, 01:47:06 pm »

You wanna know what's worse? They might legally get away with it as "medical treatment." I'm betting it was prescribed by a physician or psychologist/psychiatrist, done in a clinical setting under a treatment plan.... "Medical Science," has done some barbaric shit. We treat people who are "insane" or even "mentally unwell," like crap, especially in the criminal justice system. Due to propaganda/badly written movies, it's now incredibly difficult to get an insanity defense, because people think it's bullshit. He didn't even commit a crime. He just wouldn't take off his jacket.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:50:10 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46461 on: May 07, 2012, 01:54:31 pm »

You wanna know what's worse? They might legally get away with it as "medical treatment." I'm betting it was prescribed by a physician or psychologist/psychiatrist, done in a clinical setting under a treatment plan.... "Medical Science," has done some barbaric shit.
Not entirely, for electroshock therapy to be done in the US, you need either a written consent from the patient OR a court order from the judge. Psychiatrists gotta be getting flak from the board for even considering doing this to children.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46462 on: May 07, 2012, 01:57:16 pm »

You wanna know what's worse? They might legally get away with it as "medical treatment." I'm betting it was prescribed by a physician or psychologist/psychiatrist, done in a clinical setting under a treatment plan.... "Medical Science," has done some barbaric shit.
Not entirely, for electroshock therapy to be done in the US, you need either a written consent from the patient OR a court order from the judge. Psychiatrists gotta be getting flak from the board for even considering doing this to children.
Problem is, that may be in the thing they signed just to get into the school. Probably didn't even know it.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46463 on: May 07, 2012, 01:59:00 pm »

Problem is, that may be in the thing they signed just to get into the school. Probably didn't even know it.

^^^
This.

People don't read crap they sign and we all know it.

Please don't quote me.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46464 on: May 07, 2012, 02:00:22 pm »

if they get away with it, I think the internet and public won't like it that much...
Like they care. The internet and public don't like a lot of things, doesn't stop them from happening.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46465 on: May 07, 2012, 02:00:41 pm »

But I very much doubt these students signed it.

What made /me/ sad was the crap they made me sign to go skydiving. And now I'm technically in breech of contract, several times over. Though I'm pretty sure portions of it, at least, are unenforceable, and they don't seem to have any clue what it actually says since they actively encourage breech of said contract at every opportunity, but whatever.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46466 on: May 07, 2012, 02:02:22 pm »

But I very much doubt these students signed it.

What made /me/ sad was the crap they made me sign to go skydiving. And now I'm technically in breech of contract, several times over. Though I'm pretty sure portions of it, at least, are unenforceable, and they don't seem to have any clue what it actually says since they actively encourage breech of said contract at every opportunity, but whatever.
A lot of schools require that the student also sign the entrance forms.

Also, how are you in breach of contract?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #46467 on: May 07, 2012, 02:05:38 pm »

"special needs" student. And a minor. They probably did not need the student's consent, their parent's was enough.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46468 on: May 07, 2012, 02:05:47 pm »

I posted the video online, despite fully signing away my rights to reproduction of said video, including any and all copyrights.

Since they then immediately requested that we share the video and post it to places, I... don't actually know if I'm in breach of contract. I signed away all rights to reproduce the video, but does the verbal encouragement grant those back?

Truean?

It was a pretty standard "We have full rights over everything you are just getting a copy" - used by everyone from the family photographer down the straight to videographers.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46469 on: May 07, 2012, 02:06:54 pm »

I think you miswrote 1E11 there.

Really... that's scary.It's just...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 3096 3097 [3098] 3099 3100 ... 8167