Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3066 3067 [3068] 3069 3070 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448845 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46005 on: April 24, 2012, 02:48:13 pm »

I'm paying the bills etc for an old person who can't via probate etc.... I have repeatedly told one of their god damn relatives to order more checks from the bank. I have recorded this numerous times to this person. The checkbook has run out of checks and I cannot pay the bills, no matter how much money is in the account, without checks. I cannot use autopay, because the court demands a record. 6 times I have told this person to order more damn checks because I cannot. They have not.

They have called up today bitching about how the utilities are going to be turned off and I set the phone down on my desk to do something else for a few minutes while they yelled at the wood, then came back to them and interrupted their stupidity.

"And how am I supposed to pay the bills without the checks I have repeatedly told you to order more of? I I told you to order more on the following dates in person 3/27, and 4/1. I told you to order more via leaving a voice-mail on the following dates: 2/14, 2/19, and 3/14. I told you via phone to do it on the following dates: 3/21, and 4/5. Now here it is 4/24 and you're yelling at me for something I told you I can't do and you must. Get ... me... more... checks.... Get ... it ... together...."

I am so damn sick of this. When I say to do something like that it isn't a suggestion. It isn't that these people are incapable of understanding this--worse--they just don't freaking want to understand it and actively refuse to. I can't pay these bills without checks for the checkbook given that this is how the court mandated it be paid. Don't tell me "you can do it online," because the judge said no.... I don't want to remove this relative from the situation because that would mean more responsibility for me in this mess.

The hell is wrong with people...? It was "do this" not "suggest demand in a snotty voice what you think should be done."

I wonder more and more as I continue to read Truean's posts if this kind of shit happens to all lawyers, or if she's some kind of stupidity-magnet.  I'd also ask if you get some clients that are absolutely wonderful to work with and bend over backwards to help your case, but I imagine that that wouldn't make for as interesting writing =P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46006 on: April 24, 2012, 02:50:06 pm »

Oh I'm sure other lawyers get the same type of clients, but unlike them she's brutally honest.

People don't like uncomfortable truths.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #46007 on: April 24, 2012, 03:05:18 pm »

So, you can fill out checks for her, but can't order more blank checks?

I don't suppose you can print generic blank checks, I understand they should work, and I can understand a retail place refusing non-preprinted checks to prevent fraud, but when paying for services provide to a known address...

I once read a collection of stories from a landlord with bad tenants; and they including writing the final months rent check on a wooden door (the actual door, not paper attached to the door) as well as old peices of clothing, and the bank accpted them, as they met the legal criteria for being checks.

But hey, you're the lawyer, you would know better about you state banking laws.

What REALLY pissed me off was Key Bank charging a fee to cash a check drawn on that same branch of Key Bank.

Check says it's worth $200, yuno give me $200 for it?, Do you intentionally make you customers criminals for not writing checks that can be redeemed for face value, which is, you know, the entire point of a check?

Pay $200 to the order of me, dammit, like it says, and charge your customer the fees.

Oh, I don't have to pay a fee if I have an account with you?... ahh, but the monthy fee for having said account is even higher than the fee for cashing the check?

FUCK YOU KEY BANK. give me back the check, and I'll take it back to the person who wrote it, and demand a check from a real bank.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46008 on: April 24, 2012, 03:29:47 pm »

That's one horrid bank.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46009 on: April 24, 2012, 03:52:39 pm »

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:02:51 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46010 on: April 24, 2012, 04:00:57 pm »

This.  A thousand times, this.  I want to carve this on everyone's forehead. 

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46011 on: April 24, 2012, 04:05:00 pm »

To make them literally uncomfortable?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46012 on: April 24, 2012, 04:48:36 pm »

I'm paying the bills etc for an old person who can't via probate etc.... I have repeatedly told one of their god damn relatives to order more checks from the bank. I have recorded this numerous times to this person. The checkbook has run out of checks and I cannot pay the bills, no matter how much money is in the account, without checks. I cannot use autopay, because the court demands a record. 6 times I have told this person to order more damn checks because I cannot. They have not.

They have called up today bitching about how the utilities are going to be turned off and I set the phone down on my desk to do something else for a few minutes while they yelled at the wood, then came back to them and interrupted their stupidity.

"And how am I supposed to pay the bills without the checks I have repeatedly told you to order more of? I I told you to order more on the following dates in person 3/27, and 4/1. I told you to order more via leaving a voice-mail on the following dates: 2/14, 2/19, and 3/14. I told you via phone to do it on the following dates: 3/21, and 4/5. Now here it is 4/24 and you're yelling at me for something I told you I can't do and you must. Get ... me... more... checks.... Get ... it ... together...."

I am so damn sick of this. When I say to do something like that it isn't a suggestion. It isn't that these people are incapable of understanding this--worse--they just don't freaking want to understand it and actively refuse to. I can't pay these bills without checks for the checkbook given that this is how the court mandated it be paid. Don't tell me "you can do it online," because the judge said no.... I don't want to remove this relative from the situation because that would mean more responsibility for me in this mess.

The hell is wrong with people...? It was "do this" not "suggest demand in a snotty voice what you think should be done."

I wonder more and more as I continue to read Truean's posts if this kind of shit happens to all lawyers, or if she's some kind of stupidity-magnet.  I'd also ask if you get some clients that are absolutely wonderful to work with and bend over backwards to help your case, but I imagine that that wouldn't make for as interesting writing =P

They are few and far between. Once people actually have to pay ANYTHING for something, they think they own you and you exist to serve their whims. Especially if you're getting [gasp] a couple hundred or dare I say a couple thousand for it. Never mind that this is on average far, far less than most other lawyers charge for it, they are paying me and thus have the right to be assholes. [sigh]. What's great is when people do it to their own detriment and then blame me for doing what I told them not to do.... Lately, it just seems no one is EVER happy with ANYTHING, especially the criminal clients. God forbid the case doesn't get a "not guilty," or is plead out. Never mind that, it seems they aren't happy even with a "not guilty" until and unless the city issues them a written apology and bakes them a cake. This will never happen, ever.... It's basically the bullshit, "Well I was CLEARLY [snotty tone] innocent so why did it take you so long and why should it cost so much?!" So even on a win, they still don't wanna pay and aren't happy....

I once read a collection of stories from a landlord with bad tenants; and they including writing the final months rent check on a wooden door (the actual door, not paper attached to the door) as well as old peices of clothing, and the bank accpted them, as they met the legal criteria for being checks.

But hey, you're the lawyer, you would know better about you state banking laws.

This is technically possible but practically exhausting. Yes, you could probably write such a check if you knew all the various things that a check had to have and you put them all in (including the account and rounding number with the modern banking system, etc).

a.) I shouldn't have to, and I'm certainly not going to get paid for doing so.
b.) That would take longer and time is money (see "a" above).
c.) It would literally take the guy a few minutes to order new checks....
d.) I'd have to have the hypothetical home made check draw from the old person's account to pay their bills. I am not authorized to do that. I am a "signatory" meaning I can sign and write checks on the account, but I cannot change any details of the account or order checking related services, such as replacement checks. The relative on the other hand, is the guardian of the person and the estate.... They can do so subject to the probate court's granted authority and its continuing review jurisdiction....
e.) I shouldn't have to beg for basic shit like this that is required to do my job and take care of said old person. This isn't hard and takes a few minutes max.

To make them literally uncomfortable?

Sometimes I'd like to.... Everyone I see has this carefree, don't give a shit, attitude. "Well, just [insert mind bogglingly oversimplified statement here]. There is no "just," as a limiting factor. It is what it is and if I could do it easier, then I totally would. I don't like doing things the hard way anymore than anyone else....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46013 on: April 24, 2012, 05:15:58 pm »

She's not actually content to stay indoors together most weekends, and the reason she's been watching so much DS9 lately is because it's the best way to be around me while I blow all my time on the computer.

I'm a crummy boyfriend.

Thankfully we're catching the problem early, but...  do I have the right personality to fix it?
I've got no business inserting myself into conversations in this situation, but hell, may as well

Dude, you are putting her happiness above your own. The thought that she could be happier but isn't is bothering you. Welcome to being a decent human being. Also welcome to making tough life choices of various shades of grey.

Only advice I could give would be for comforting you, because you got this man. I guess you could take an hour or two for a walk each day? Some physical work helps out the brain and will refresh your mind for your work while she gets her time outdoors.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46014 on: April 24, 2012, 05:25:30 pm »

Page 10 for those 25 post/page people.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46015 on: April 24, 2012, 05:44:43 pm »

People use less than 50 posts/page?

...Why?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46016 on: April 24, 2012, 05:46:01 pm »

Truean, once you retire, if you go and find a psychiatrist, you'll probably be found to have gone insane from stress.

try to avoid the psychiatrist until you start getting urges to murder everyone. in. sight.

When I get a shrink, they will need a shrink, who will in turn need a shrink, etc, etc. "Until" was too long ago to apply here. [shrugs] You live with them.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46017 on: April 24, 2012, 05:47:03 pm »

People use less than 50 posts/page?

...Why?

If there's a several page long thread that I want to read in more than one sitting, 25 posts/page gives me twice as many places to conveniently take a break.

EDIT: Huh, that's the second image hosting site my avatar's disappeared from. I suppose that's more of a minor grievance than a sad, but still  :(.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 05:53:35 pm by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46018 on: April 24, 2012, 06:02:05 pm »

Hrm, I can't seem to connect to the MLP boards and the website status checker places are saying it's up.

You guys didn't ban me for what I said about Pinkie Pie did you D:
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46019 on: April 24, 2012, 06:05:45 pm »

You guys didn't ban me for what I said about Pinkie Pie did you D:
You now must tell us what you said to sate our curiosity, and you know it.
Pages: 1 ... 3066 3067 [3068] 3069 3070 ... 8167