Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3061 3062 [3063] 3064 3065 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449712 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45930 on: April 21, 2012, 08:12:21 pm »

but even when I've had those happen, there wasn't any smoke... hmm.

Yeah, most computer hardware I've seen goes into the night without a fight, quietly melting...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45931 on: April 21, 2012, 08:15:46 pm »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #45932 on: April 21, 2012, 08:21:51 pm »

Truen, I think that this has been mentioned already, but I think that you fit right into the newest (as of this posting) Direct TV advertisement.

When your cable freezes up, you get irritated.
When you get irritated, you lose sleep.
When you lose sleep, the wrong man goes to jail.
When the wrong man goes to jail, he has time to think.
When he has time to think, he thinks about you.
When he thinks about you, your house gets blown up.
Don't get your house blown up.

(or something to that effect.)
It fits you, though I don't think that you're a criminal lawyer :3

I am. Unfortunately. Among numerous other things and whatever my boss throws to at me.

Kaij, spilling something on it or otherwise sticking something in it is the only way I can think of for that to happen. o_o

And yeah, spent a year fixing computers, never quite had anyone manage to make it smoke.

.... Went into my booze before + Murphy's law + spill could cause....

And if she spilled booze on it? ??? Hey, if she didn't then she'll have surpassed all my expectations of her, which are rather low.... Actually it wouldn't necessarily have to have been booze either I bet. If she did both get into my booze again and spill it on my computer to ruin it, then I'm putting nails behind her tires. "Damn kids...."
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:27:54 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45933 on: April 21, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »

Maybe the CPU got overclocked to an extreme somehow? I've been told that's a popular hacker's trick.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45934 on: April 21, 2012, 09:49:11 pm »

An overclocked CPU would just melt and die. No smoke.

Smoke almost invariably comes from power supplies from what I hear (mine was from the motherboard but seriously that spark jumped like an inch. Fried almost every component too, including my hard drive. Wackiness with power almost certainly to blame). Survey the damage before tossing blame (well other than blame for being on the computer in the first place).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #45935 on: April 21, 2012, 10:29:29 pm »

Maybe she flipped the voltage switch?
Shoes...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45936 on: April 21, 2012, 11:34:20 pm »

Why would anyone have reason to /touch/ that!?

Also, I thought of something that might smoke! It's possible one of the fan engines could have died a particularly agonizing death. Either way, fan or power supply, the likely causes of smoke mean its unlikely major damage was done to the computer.

Unless the smoke was from the power supply zapping everything itself before offing itself in a complicated electronic murder-suicide.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45937 on: April 22, 2012, 01:58:40 am »

Why was she near my computer anyhow? Go blow up your own computer.

Truean says the best things :b

However, that's pretty unfortunate :c apparently the B12 hivemind doesn't have enough psychic ability to stop bad things happening to you D:

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #45938 on: April 22, 2012, 06:39:57 am »

There's this documentary called Home on tv right now, it's quite nicely made with good narration, music and imagery, but damn is it depressing, a huge big black pit of depression :c
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #45939 on: April 22, 2012, 07:33:29 am »

However, that's pretty unfortunate :c apparently the B12 hivemind doesn't have enough psychic ability to stop bad things happening to you D:

Yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #45940 on: April 22, 2012, 07:38:14 am »

Yet.

We wait for transcendence.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45941 on: April 22, 2012, 08:11:24 am »

I've seen that documentary, i'm frequently depressed at the state of the enviroment :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45942 on: April 22, 2012, 08:24:52 am »

Climate change and environmental damage are lies spread through the ranks (and I use the term in several ways) of the proletariat by antiwar left wing evolutionist so-called 'scientists' to keep them scared and try to make them pay for stupid and unprofitable projects like 'renewable' energy (as if energy can make more energy) when we should be working on getting as much of the left over coal and gas as possible.  We should probably raise the prices by about 500% too, so that those fairly affluent (ie non-lazy workers) are assured a reasonable supply that isn't being eaten up by slackers and scroungers.  THINK FOR YOURSELVES PEOPLE, don't just eat the shit these fools keep shoving on your plates.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:16:08 am by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45943 on: April 22, 2012, 02:46:43 pm »

Had a very horrible time on Minecraft today, with other users, bay12ers, even, calling me a hacker the entire time.

Very disappointed right now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #45944 on: April 22, 2012, 04:41:43 pm »

I just managed to spill my last can of cola on myself... Three times.
Pages: 1 ... 3061 3062 [3063] 3064 3065 ... 8167