Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3060 3061 [3062] 3063 3064 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449681 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45915 on: April 21, 2012, 05:41:25 pm »

I bet it was aliens.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45917 on: April 21, 2012, 06:08:42 pm »

They decided they could use their clearly considerable talents on something more interesting?

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #45918 on: April 21, 2012, 06:10:53 pm »

My car broke down on me...

And because of it I missed the My Little Pony season finale.  :(
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45919 on: April 21, 2012, 07:13:42 pm »

This new song in the spirit of Friday which is sweeping the interwebz.
Wow... That's even worse than I was expecting.
It seems like they were actually trying to make the lyrics vapid & annoying, unlike most other awful songs on YouTube where it happens through the tried and tested combination of chance & incompetence.
That has to be parody, seriously.
I can just see the Rubber Bandits or Weird Al singing this in falsetto & skirts.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:20:33 pm by SomeStupidGuy »
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #45920 on: April 21, 2012, 07:14:42 pm »

God damn clerk blew up my computer at work. She blew it; it was allegedly smoking. I believe it 'cause secretary said so, but maybe she was being figurative.... How the hell did she manage that? I have everything backed up twice over so I won't lose anything but what the hell? Why was she near my computer anyhow? She has her own computer where she pretends to do things but doesn't really. Go blow up your own computer. I got told in an email today. WTF? God damn it, if I did anything like that back when I was clerking there, they'd have fired me. I don't think they'll fire her for anything. Really? You incompetent rube, really?

First she went into my liquor cabinet, and now this. I sent her ass out to buy me more booze while telling her I'd press charges for theft and ruin her chance to be approved to take the bar exam if she didn't. She got the booze.... I'm changing the lock on my office, and locking it. I'm gonna start video taping her every second she's at work. I'm the only one who knows how to work the camera in the ceiling. Gah. $20 says she's stealing office supplies. [throws hands up in the air and lets them fall to my side].
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45921 on: April 21, 2012, 07:44:47 pm »

Wow, that takes talent.  I'm not sure I could mess up a computer so bad that it catches fire, and It's my job to know how to do stuff with computers.

All I can think of is something in the tower itself.  I know dust can build up sufficiently to cause a fire, but that would take years and years of neglect in a dusty environment, with shedding pets for good measure. 
Maybe if a fan tool was used to shut off all the fans, and the overheat force shutdown was overridden, but if somebody knew how to do all that they probably should be working in another field...  Namely mine, because I don't think I could do that on the spot without a little research on the computer model.  Hell, I'm not sure it's possible to override the overheat protection on most boards, at least not without reprogramming the BIOS entirely.

Sorry Truean.  Maybe you'll get an upgrade out of it?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:47:01 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45922 on: April 21, 2012, 07:49:04 pm »

I bet it was aliens.
As good a guess as any right now, really. :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #45923 on: April 21, 2012, 07:49:50 pm »

....Wow, blowing up a computer. That's like a comic o_o

I mean... sure, melting everything and making it shut down is easy... catching it on fire? D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45924 on: April 21, 2012, 07:50:55 pm »

Unless she spilled something on it, or something like that, it's doubtful it was really her fault. If she hadn't gotten on it it would've blown up later.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45925 on: April 21, 2012, 07:55:56 pm »

Kaij, spilling something on it or otherwise sticking something in it is the only way I can think of for that to happen. o_o

And yeah, spent a year fixing computers, never quite had anyone manage to make it smoke.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45926 on: April 21, 2012, 07:58:11 pm »

I've blown up my computer twice; once the motherboard shorted out somehow with a nice big spark and smoke, and the other time one of the thingies on the graphics card literally exploded.

Neither was really my fault save for just using my computer normally. Maybe I could've had better cooling for the graphics card one.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #45927 on: April 21, 2012, 08:06:23 pm »

The closest I ever came to burning up my computer was when my graphic card melted. It was an old model that was originally meant to be for 'light' usage. I don't know why exactly it melted when I was playing a non-graphics-heavy game...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45928 on: April 21, 2012, 08:10:29 pm »

Ah, yeah, inferior hardware without modern protections can definitely result in that.

Whoo boy, people who buy "budget" power supplies, they can have a problem with stuff blowing up because it can be like "oh hai guys one sec let me ELECTRIC SURGE hahah!" Especially if you've got stuff without a heat sink for some reason.

Just don't see it often.

but even when I've had those happen, there wasn't any smoke... hmm.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #45929 on: April 21, 2012, 08:11:30 pm »

Truen, I think that this has been mentioned already, but I think that you fit right into the newest (as of this posting) Direct TV advertisement.

When your cable freezes up, you get irritated.
When you get irritated, you lose sleep.
When you lose sleep, the wrong man goes to jail.
When the wrong man goes to jail, he has time to think.
When he has time to think, he thinks about you.
When he thinks about you, your house gets blown up.
Don't get your house blown up.

(or something to that effect.)
It fits you, though I don't think that you're a criminal lawyer :3
Pages: 1 ... 3060 3061 [3062] 3063 3064 ... 8167