Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3056 3057 [3058] 3059 3060 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452470 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45855 on: April 19, 2012, 07:17:44 pm »

Can I have permission to use your life as a villain backstory, Truean? :P

The cockroaches thing would make an excellent rant right before hitting the doomsday button.

Na.
Drat!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #45856 on: April 19, 2012, 08:03:11 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45857 on: April 19, 2012, 08:10:31 pm »

Okay.

Bumped into my ex girlfriend on the train. (We go to the same university, about 70km from where either of us live) and we got talking. After all, I'm not one to ignore a person.

So we had a nice-ish chat, and a dear friend of mine said hello too, which was nice.

But, now...
My ex sent me a facebook message saying she wants to be BFFs with me. Her boyfriend is away in Sydney at the moment. I went ahead and said yes, but I warned her that "No guy wouldn't feel threatened by a girl being best friends with her ex."

But now, I'm worrying because... How does one extricate from this?
I can hardly up and say "Yeah i don't want to be BFF because your boyfriend will get jealous" as any guy would, which would cause damage to their relationship and make me look like the bad guy.
If I elect to go with it, then her boyfriend will eventually get jealous/suspicious anyway. The ex wants to meet up for a coffee.

FUCK FUCK FUCK. I don't know how i'm going to get myself out of this one. It's like something out of bloody Neighbours.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45858 on: April 19, 2012, 08:12:50 pm »

... I probably should have attended that dance social downstairs. Only my own fear is getting me down and some excuse on getting more lessons beforehand. Half the people down there don't know what the hell they are doing and are having a good time. I'm just causing myself misery over fear.

But now I have the extra excuse of being too late so dangit.

At least there's one every week for some odd reason.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45859 on: April 19, 2012, 08:13:50 pm »

Okay.

Bumped into my ex girlfriend on the train. (We go to the same university, about 70km from where either of us live) and we got talking. After all, I'm not one to ignore a person.

So we had a nice-ish chat, and a dear friend of mine said hello too, which was nice.

But, now...
My ex sent me a facebook message saying she wants to be BFFs with me. Her boyfriend is away in Sydney at the moment. I went ahead and said yes, but I warned her that "No guy wouldn't feel threatened by a girl being best friends with her ex."

But now, I'm worrying because... How does one extricate from this?
I can hardly up and say "Yeah i don't want to be BFF because your boyfriend will get jealous" as any guy would, which would cause damage to their relationship and make me look like the bad guy.
If I elect to go with it, then her boyfriend will eventually get jealous/suspicious anyway. The ex wants to meet up for a coffee.

FUCK FUCK FUCK. I don't know how i'm going to get myself out of this one. It's like something out of bloody Neighbours.
As long as you do nothing wrong, he will be the one in the wrong for being jealous. It's his problem, not yours.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45860 on: April 19, 2012, 08:14:28 pm »

Sigh.
I'm not sure that's totally fair.

A website spewing random info is pretty low on the priority list for security. CISPA sucks and all that, but I really wouldn't expect the congressmen to care about their websites all that much.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #45861 on: April 19, 2012, 08:19:52 pm »

Sigh.
I'm not sure that's totally fair.

A website spewing random info is pretty low on the priority list for security. CISPA sucks and all that, but I really wouldn't expect the congressmen to care about their websites all that much.
I cannot overstate how true that comic is.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45862 on: April 19, 2012, 08:20:28 pm »

My ex sent me a facebook message saying she wants to be BFFs with me.
I didn't know that people who weren't 13-year-old girls used that term.  :/  And it seems a little excessive.

Maybe "Sure we can hang out; with your boyfriend too once he gets back.  I'd like to spend time around you two."

Her boyfriend shouldn't see anything wrong with her having coffee with her ex.  On the other hand, it would be courteous for her to tell him "Oh I ran into my ex on the train, I'm thinking of grabbing coffee with him.  Ha ha, don't worry, I'm not replacing you or anything.  It doesn't bother you, right?  Of course it doesn't."  Communication is the enemy of jealousy.

Of course you want to be super srs about shooting things down if she tries anything.  It's bad for her, it's bad for her boyfriend, it's a bad situation for you, and you wouldn't want a girl who does that anyway.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45863 on: April 19, 2012, 08:23:43 pm »

Wilfor, Sowelu, you're both right.

It's rather abrupt too, given the previous two times we spoke was nothing more than civil average person to person, and before that we hadn't spoken for almost half a year. It comes out of the blue.

And her boyfriend... I put myself in his shoes. How would I feel if I came back after a month and a half absence working my heart out in another state to find my girlfriend had been having coffees with her ex without me knowing?

I'd be pretty bloody pissed.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #45864 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:29 pm »

That comic is all of the true, But if you're the one pushing a cyber-anything bill, either know what you're talking about or give the idea to someone else. Theres enough sodding idiots related to internet already, and they already have HTTPS available on the domain anyway, so it can't be that hard to make yourself look (at least at a glance) like you might have a tiny bit of an idea what you're talking about.
Quote from: Article
He notes that there is really no excuse for these configuration errors, because the House appears to be setup with an HTTPS server, and other Reps. have it properly configured on their site. Not much really needs to be done. However, the fact that other Reps have set up HTTPS really raises concerns about these two Reps and their staff when it comes to cybersecurity:

The webserver that runs all of the house.gov websites is listening on port 443 and it looks like Akamai has issued a wildcart *.house.gov certificate that can be used to secure any Congressional website. As an example, Nancy Pelosi's website supports HTTPS without any certificate errors (although it looks like there is some non-HTTPS encrypted content delivered from that page too.) This means that the Congressional IT staff can enable HTTPS encryption for Rogers, Ruppersberger and every other member without having to buy any new HTTPS certificates or setting up new webservers. The software is already all there - and the fact that these sites do not work over HTTPS connections already suggests that no one in the members' offices have asked for it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45865 on: April 20, 2012, 08:32:34 am »

I have procrastinated far too much this semester. I now have about half a semester's work to do, and finals are the week after next.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45866 on: April 20, 2012, 09:57:37 am »

It's rather abrupt too, given the previous two times we spoke was nothing more than civil average person to person, and before that we hadn't spoken for almost half a year. It comes out of the blue.
People occasionally get the urge to reconnect. Sometimes strongly. Its not that strange.

And her boyfriend... I put myself in his shoes. How would I feel if I came back after a month and a half absence working my heart out in another state to find my girlfriend had been having coffees with her ex without me knowing?

I'd be pretty bloody pissed.
Welll... one, this actually reflects pretty poorly on you. Two, this other guy ISN'T you, and its not enough to put yourself in his shoes - you need to put yourself in his head too, and you don't know him well enough for that.

HE is not relevant, unless you act like a bloody moron, to you. That "meetingup without telling him thing" is her responsibility to handle, not yours, and its pretty rude of you ro presume otherwise.

The real question is - do you want to have a cup of coffee with her, or not?

That's the only question you should be bothering with at this point.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45867 on: April 20, 2012, 10:07:05 am »

Female pronouns please, but I've stopped caring in numerous cases because people don't care.

-snip-

Yes, ma'am. 

My significant other and I end up in long conversations about how we pretty much hate everyone in the world.  I keep telling her I should have gone into biology instead of computer science so that I could develop a virus that kills off all of humanity and leaves all other species alone.  I'm trying to decide how I feel about the fact that she's not certain whether I'm joking or not every time I mention it.  (She's an interesting creature unto herself; I think she'd jump at the chance go to from female to male if the opportunity was presented.) 

Oh.  I just remembered something sad.  Back when I just got out of college, I had to work in a fast-food place for a bit while job hunting.  There was a male to female trans person who I saw come in maybe two or three times.  She was a bit of a sorry sight, as her makeup and hair was terrible, and she was trying to talk in a more feminine voice, but it wasn't terribly convincing.  I was certainly respectful and casual as possible, but since that was the first time I had really been face-to-face with a trans person, I was kind of awkward and unsure internally as to how to refer to her, so I intentionally talked with her in a way so as to avoid gender-related words (title/pronouns/etc.).  I kind of wish I could go back and re-do those interactions over, because I think (at least, I assume/hope) she would have appreciated it if I had addressed her as a female.  :( 

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45868 on: April 20, 2012, 10:16:59 am »

Just wanted to comment on the pronoun thing...

As far as pronouns, everyone but Scriver, Forsaken, Vector and Truean are "its" to me.

Truean is not actually female, though, because she insists on both calling herself female, calling herself gay, and liking guys, which manages to completely and totally fuck me up in the head. As such, she's like an electron cloud of gender in my mind. As such, my pronouns will tend to switch depending on the situation.

Anywho - Things that made me sad
Wife had a bit of a stress breakdown and took off with the car to drive to Florida. I'll assume she'll be back in four or five days, just need to hope I don't have to drive anywhere before then.

Actually, this is sort of a pre-emptive posting, I probably won't start getting properly sad about it till I wake up alone tomorrow morning.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45869 on: April 20, 2012, 10:40:01 am »

which manages to completely and totally fuck me up in the head.
Well look who's talking :P
Pages: 1 ... 3056 3057 [3058] 3059 3060 ... 8167