Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3055 3056 [3057] 3058 3059 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452483 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45840 on: April 19, 2012, 10:38:48 am »

An elderly guardianship client called adult protective services and told them I was starving her. They came to her house, pantry FULL of food. She's complaining I won't buy her the food she wants.

You're diabetic and have medical dietary restrictions....

And where the hell was the home health care worker I paid. I get the distinct feeling she told her to go away. ???
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 10:45:41 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45841 on: April 19, 2012, 10:45:06 am »

So I've got a great idea for a story to start writing, but I'm really hung up on what to name these people... This is a typical problem for me.

*sigh*
Write the story with placeholders and fill in the names when they come to you.
Ever since I was beaten up by people I thought were my friends in elementary school for saying maybe, I feel like I can't trust anyone and that anyone that I try to befriend only stay with me for a couple months before never speaking with me ever again.
The trust thing strikes me as a little weird... Are you saying you're worried people are going to beat the crap out of you if you become their friends? Because that kind of thing is rather rare... and prosecutable outside of elementary school.
Feelings of fear are not always rational, especially those that you get after a traumatic experience.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45842 on: April 19, 2012, 10:54:42 am »

So I've got a great idea for a story to start writing, but I'm really hung up on what to name these people... This is a typical problem for me.

*sigh*
Might I suggest Acronyms and (if applicable) portmanteaus?  Especially acronyms, if it's fantasy.
When I do this the names stick D:

Depends on the setting of course, but symbolism is always nifty. Just don't be too blatant with it, or subvert the obvious interpretation for a more subtle one.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45843 on: April 19, 2012, 11:14:29 am »

*sigh*

Are you talking character names? There's an easy solution.

If you mean a group, classification, or culture of people, that can be harder. If you want a word sounding like natural language (say for an identity/name) string syllables from the language of your choice together until you find something neat. Then tweak it for English/whatever you're writing in. If you need a word that's a modern organization or classification, make sure it's descriptive of what the group is; go for obscure words or root meanings for inspiration (check the left sidebar for a relevant word category).

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #45844 on: April 19, 2012, 11:53:31 am »

I'm so busy with all this school shit bleh.  I'll just split into eleven different personalities and name them now...

A is Apples and he's a twelve year old that's secretly a vegan
B is Ben and he's a fifty year old man voiced by Paul Eiding
C is Crazy and wants me to stop doing this
D is Dipshit and he's friends with Dumbass
D is Dumbass and he's friends with Dipshit
E is Edward and he has phantom limb syndrome
F is Flunky and he's level two
G is Ghost and they're not speaking
H is is is

Howard you doing??!

No I just have a couple weeks until the semester ends and then I'll be a Sophomore and stuffff.

Extreme (ESCAPE) displeasure.  Seek a way out!

I'm aiming for my car license during the four month break I have in the summer and also to work and get a job from my Step-Dad so I can be a commoner like him.  And then I can stab myself repeatedly because my hair doesn't want to agree with me and lay down in the shower when nobody is home and let the water fall on me as I close my eyes.

Next semester will be my last one at this campus I'm planning on just sweeping up a bunch of undergraduate requirements and Calculus 3 (it's listed as multiple variable Calculus) because I don't know.  Take another semester of Spanish even when I don't need it just to finish the book off and well it's interesting.  And then I'll have to transfer to the main Storrs campus or else I can't take the classes for my major.  Sounds relaxing.

Meanwhile I interest myself with books and readings and games that nobody would want to play and sometimes watch anime!  I'm angry at myself so I don't want to eat today.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45845 on: April 19, 2012, 12:19:46 pm »

Doesn't sound like you've got any reason to be angry at yourself. Also, among the top ten awful reasons for not eating, being angry with yourself ranks... well, somewhere in that top 10. Somewhere between "Starving a cold" and "But the expiration date is next week."

But, more importantly, you've got this school shit on total lockdown. It seems to be stressing you out incredibly! But, all this stuff you've got to deal with, it's stuff you are showing yourself capable of dealing with. You are better than it is. So, yeah, at least there is that.

Also, in unrelated and less significant news, the rain today has forced me to reschedule a car repair appointment because the adhesive they use needs to stay dry for a couple days. Looks like I'll be continuing to rely on duct tape to hold the plastic strip kerjiggers over the doors down for another week.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45846 on: April 19, 2012, 03:16:12 pm »

An elderly guardianship client called adult protective services and told them I was starving her. They came to her house, pantry FULL of food. She's complaining I won't buy her the food she wants.

You're diabetic and have medical dietary restrictions....

And where the hell was the home health care worker I paid. I get the distinct feeling she told her to go away. ???

One of my friends' mother is like this.  It's really sad.  She also has major brain damage thanks to an asshole drunk driver...  Wish I could say that means it's not her fault, but in the end it really is.  She feels entitled to act like an asshole.

Vertigon, I used to spend ages trying to track down people I knew online when I was young and stupid (like, from 15 years ago or something), hell, even to apologize.  I've never found a single one of them and I guess that's probably for the best.

...Also, phantom limb syndrome is awesome.  :V
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45847 on: April 19, 2012, 04:13:41 pm »

Truean, I'm not sure whether your life is shit, or if you have a lot of bad things happen to you that you post about.

There's a difference? I thought one made the other.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #45848 on: April 19, 2012, 04:13:58 pm »

...Also, phantom limb syndrome is awesome.  :V

Particularly for limbs you never should have had in the first place.

My third leg feel throbbing and swollen.

;D
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45849 on: April 19, 2012, 05:17:39 pm »

Truean, I'm not sure whether your life is shit, or if you have a lot of bad things happen to you that you post about.

There's a difference? I thought one made the other.
depends how much good stuff is in your life.

I tried to explain it better, but every time I read through it, it came out like an insult ::)

social idiocy really makes me sad.

So, basically you're trying to say the former is all bad, wheras the latter there is some amount of good to balance the bad, yes? 

Well, I've seen Truean post in the happy thread before, so her life can't be 100% shit :D 

(Truean, I don't think I've seen it stated explicitly, but do you prefer female pronouns or don't care either way as of now?)

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45850 on: April 19, 2012, 05:28:02 pm »

Vertigon, I used to spend ages trying to track down people I knew online when I was young and stupid (like, from 15 years ago or something), hell, even to apologize.  I've never found a single one of them and I guess that's probably for the best.

Oh, I doubt I'm going to try to track them down or anything. But I left a way to find me with my farewell message, so maybe they'll track me down :b

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45851 on: April 19, 2012, 07:00:53 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 06:26:46 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45852 on: April 19, 2012, 07:03:37 pm »

Can I have permission to use your life as a villain backstory, Truean? :P

The cockroaches thing would make an excellent rant right before hitting the doomsday button.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45853 on: April 19, 2012, 07:13:44 pm »

Can I have permission to use your life as a villain backstory, Truean? :P

The cockroaches thing would make an excellent rant right before hitting the doomsday button.

Na.

As for the nukes, my only regret is someone might survive.

Please don't quote me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #45854 on: April 19, 2012, 07:14:40 pm »

The stronger the pesticide, the more resistant the bugs become.

:|

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 3055 3056 [3057] 3058 3059 ... 8167