Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3044 3045 [3046] 3047 3048 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447406 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45675 on: April 11, 2012, 06:00:35 am »

Can't remember the password to one of my email addresses (hell, I'm not even sure if I have the address right) and it's the one with my student loan details on it which I need to reapply for the coming year. The site I use to get at that email has a completely useless password reset function. I have no idea what to do.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45676 on: April 11, 2012, 06:03:21 am »

Ouch. I sympathize; I lost my old gmail account (google closed it since it got hijacked and was sending out spam), and I couldn't recover it since I don't have a mobile phone and didn't want to bother anyone I knew.

Cue problems getting all my various accounts up to date with a new one, including WoW and a couple forums. Not as bad as losing stuff for student loans, though D:
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #45677 on: April 11, 2012, 06:15:00 am »

Ahah, student loan correspondence for the win. Got the crap I need.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #45678 on: April 11, 2012, 10:47:21 am »

Oh that reminds me, the IRS still owes me $1800 from last year.
Heh.  I always parse "IRS" as "IRA" for whatever reason.  It makes tax discussions a lot more interesting.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #45679 on: April 12, 2012, 03:22:45 am »

All-encompassing, soul-crushing apathy. Like all those WHO GIVES A SHIT captions, except applied negatively.

And somehow the thing that's getting to me the most is that my UTAUloid recording is mediocre. Not bad, not good, just. Eh.

Priorities: I have none.
くコ:彡

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45680 on: April 12, 2012, 04:18:51 am »

-grumpy snip about stupid lack of money from not starting work yet-

Do you have a desktop monitor? You can just use that in the meantime.

Aye, I realised that because we weren't using our old desktop I could just use the (ELEVEN YEAR OLD CRT) monitor from that.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45681 on: April 12, 2012, 05:14:51 am »

All-encompassing, soul-crushing apathy. Like all those WHO GIVES A SHIT captions, except applied negatively.

And somehow the thing that's getting to me the most is that my UTAUloid recording is mediocre. Not bad, not good, just. Eh.

Priorities: I have none.
I gave you a quickie response on the pony boards, but have some of my bullshit philosophy.

Two ways to break out of apathy.
1) Get forced out of your comfort zone. Your contentment with your current situation is stifling you, so being removed from it gives you the desire to get it back. This is the easy, painful, and unproductive method, since your motivator is just trying to get back to where you were before: comfortable. But it'll keep you busy.
2) Get obsessed over something. Make yourself care. I'm certain you actually do want things, but the required effort is daunting and "not worth it." If you care a great degree about something, it'll be worth it to you. This is the hard method since you have to maintain your will and interest. Not an easy task. But on the plus side, you're not tricking yourself by throwing things away just to reattain them, like a sad game of fetch.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #45682 on: April 12, 2012, 08:47:38 am »

In deposition, client admitted she has no age discrimination case. A deposition is where you all sit down with lawyers and a court reporter who makes a record of questions and answers with a little typewriter.... I don't do employment law so much and am filling in.

I tried to tell this old fool what was going on, but old people are sometimes stupid and think they know more than me because I'm, by definition, younger than them.... Nevermind that I'm a lawyer, you've been alive but dumb longer... ok.

So the other lawyer lulls her into a false sense of security, which I try to warn her about during the break. He's getting her to let her guard down and she won't LISTEN to me about it. She thinks things are going swimmingly.... Co worker has waived all objections until trial before I ever got there.... This proceeds casually with client's guard stupidly down until eventually:

Q: "So, did you feel discriminated against at work?"
A: "Well no."
Q: "You didn't? You weren't discriminated against?"
A: "No."

My face is stone, unbreakable in any situation, straight face. She's politely smiling like the idiot she is. I explain to her afterwords and cut the bitch off as she tries to lecture me, the impudent moron. I finally just have enough of her bullshit:

Me: "NO, this is not the part where you talk. That's gotten us in enough trouble. What are you suing about? AGE DISCRIMINATION. What did you just say on the record? THAT YOU DIDN'T FEEL DISCRIMINATED AGAINST AND WEREN'T DISCRIMINATED AGAINST. If you weren't discriminated against, then why are you suing...?" ???

She still didn't quite get it for a bit, but it sunk in after a bit. [sigh] I've presented her with a low settlement offer from the other side. If she has any brains at all, she'll take it gladly.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:52:32 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45683 on: April 12, 2012, 08:48:23 am »

I am on school break so I am out to see my Dad, Sister, and Stepmom like I do, but it hasn't been very awesome this time. I've been sick the entire time, and everyone has had to work :( I've gotten to babysit my baby sister at least, which is nice.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45684 on: April 12, 2012, 09:18:31 am »

@Truean: Wait...they're offering a settlement of any kind? I know, I know, it's the whole "it's cheaper to give them $100 and drop the legal shit", but srsly? Maybe I should just sue the shit out of anyone and everything and settle for $50 each.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45685 on: April 12, 2012, 09:28:22 am »

@Truean: Wait...they're offering a settlement of any kind? I know, I know, it's the whole "it's cheaper to give them $100 and drop the legal shit", but srsly? Maybe I should just sue the shit out of anyone and everything and settle for $50 each.

I wouldn't recommend that/this isn't the whole story really, just an amazing example of clients behaving badly/stupidly.

A.) This is, as of right now, a nuisance settlement, and I am an enormous nuisance....

B.) There's still a chance I might be able to spin the statement or that the jury will like her more. It really is a gamble.

C.) Despite her originally wanting to blame me for this; just like all clients do (because they're never responsible... nope, nope, nope), I am god damn awesome.

D.) You have to remember that even without me in the room, cases cost money to bring. That court reporter isn't working for nothing. You've also got to make copies and do service by certified mail. So I think I'll be able to get her just enough to cover the costs of prosecuting her case. She'll break even and perhaps a tad more.

Important P.S. This was not a frivolous case and it's entirely possible and even likely that she really was discriminated against on the basis of age. The problem is, she got overconfident, like most clients, and inadvertently torpedoed her own case on the record. It's called arrogance and not listening to your lawyer, ruins many a decent case. Again, decent case, overconfident client talking without thinking. Doesn't necessarily reflect the truth; does reflect that she doesn't think before speaking/thinks she knows it all.

I really don't want people thinking this was a frivolous lawsuit; it wasn't.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:30:52 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45686 on: April 12, 2012, 09:39:53 am »

Ahh...so more like a "was discriminated against, but too polite to say so when asked about it"?

I'm trying to picture how my mother would react in a situation like that, because gods know, if there's a person who's made of epic FAIL, it's my mother.  ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45687 on: April 12, 2012, 09:47:21 am »

Ahh...so more like a "was discriminated against, but too polite to say so when asked about it"?

I'm trying to picture how my mother would react in a situation like that, because gods know, if there's a person who's made of epic FAIL, it's my mother.  ::)

Not a bad way to look at it really. It's a cross between the "Don't want to cause a scene," and "everything will work itself out" mentality. We're causing a scene.... We're suing them and I plan to drive straight into their checkbook and take some of the balance out with me.... It's a tad late for that. :P

Please don't quote me.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #45688 on: April 12, 2012, 10:23:05 am »

Truean, if I ever go to court, I want you to be my lawyer for two reasons:
A) you seem to know what you're doing
B) I don't know any others :P

at one point I wanted to be a lawyer. then after half a year I didn't.

Something tells me you've not been paying attention to the 'DO NOT TAKE THIS AS LEGAL ADVICE GETTING LAWYERS ON THE INTERNET IS BAD' disclaimers she's been appending to every other post.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #45689 on: April 12, 2012, 10:24:29 am »

*snip*

Didn't that same thing happen in one Ally McBeal episode?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 3044 3045 [3046] 3047 3048 ... 8167