Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3021 3022 [3023] 3024 3025 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9432776 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45330 on: April 01, 2012, 05:45:37 pm »

Black Hat guy is predjudiced against Omnianism?
It's FEF, not FEOF

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #45331 on: April 01, 2012, 06:00:02 pm »

I'm feeling sick today. Chest is heavy and congested and I feel too weak to even stand up.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #45332 on: April 01, 2012, 06:28:00 pm »

Man... It always makes me feel sad waking up from an interesting dream, always so much more exciting than my boring little life. :( Add to that how I still have the movie I watched the other day stuck in my head so that I'm always thinking about it, and I've been feeling pretty down today. Even out wandering around the big nearby shopping centre/mall I feel kinda sad. (Although now you mention it, being in crowded public places isn't exactly something that usually cheers me up... Especially when they're all happy.)
At least I have my new phone, which has pretty much replaced my broken Ipod just before I would have gone insane from lack of music.
Bought a rather bittersweet CD the other day, too... While I love the music(The Shins), it and other sad music probably isn't the best thing to listen to in my current mood. :P Even videogames don't seem fun right now. Dunno what to do with myself... Maybe I need to get out more. :-\

Get some ska in you, man.

Cheers me right up, sure as sure.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 06:34:50 pm by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45333 on: April 01, 2012, 06:37:47 pm »

Here in florida firefox gave me a joke about earthquakes and hurricanes.

We got the same comic, but with snow. Really clever comic idea! The punchline adapts to your local area (wonder what it does for other countries?)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45334 on: April 01, 2012, 09:36:22 pm »

I have never been filled with more anger and rage towards the game designers of this goddamn game. I'm playing FE 6, and there's a coliseum system.

Now, in FE4, losing an arena match just respawns the character that lost with one HP. This one? It fucking kills them. The staple in Fire Emblem is that a character that dies is permanently dead.

Now, what hasn't been taken into consideration is that the LOSS condition of alot of gamers, including myself, is if anyone dies period, and I force myself to restart the chapter since that's all you can do! The game is designed to prevent the player from rage quitting to save his character, and just kills them anyway.

I've already lost a couple characters actually, but they were unimportant characters, and one in particular literally died before I could even move. Like, I end my turn, he spawns, and then the enemy immediately takes their turn, and they swarmed and killed him before I could even move to do anything about it. He doesn't stand a fucking chance, but he's recruitable, and I'm forced to not give a shit because that's bullshit.

I have to restart the chapter, because the character that died is like the MOST IMPORTANT ONE and she died for a STUPID STUPID reason! Goddamnit, that's HOURS of gameplay lost, sunk into this chapter. My legs fucking HURT from the lack of exercise, because I was spending so much time paying attention to this game. Fuck I hate my life.

In Fire Emblem 4, the arena was so much more fun, not this high-strung randomized bullshit, and death wasn't final, there was an expensive and difficult way to revive them, which was a pain in the ass to do more than once, but it was possible and it made the game so much more fun! I didn't have to worry about this retardation! I could rest easy that mistakes could be amended!

I might just put this game down just for this shit. I should never get this fucking mad and upset at what's supposed to be a piece of fucking entertainment.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45335 on: April 01, 2012, 09:47:34 pm »

FE 4 also has a much better plot up to the halfway point. It's a good thing you seem to have a skipped FE 5 though. It's an excellent game, but if "randomized bullshit" in FE 6 is giving you trouble, FE 5 is an image of your worst possible randomized bullshit nightmares.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45336 on: April 01, 2012, 09:48:07 pm »

Now, what hasn't been taken into consideration is that the LOSS condition of alot of gamers, including myself, is if anyone dies period, and I force myself to restart the chapter since that's all you can do! The game is designed to prevent the player from rage quitting to save his character, and just kills them anyway.

It was taken into consideration. They just don't care.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45337 on: April 01, 2012, 10:00:26 pm »

In Fire Emblem 4, the arena was so much more fun, not this high-strung randomized bullshit, and death wasn't final, there was an expensive and difficult way to revive them, which was a pain in the ass to do more than once, but it was possible and it made the game so much more fun! I didn't have to worry about this retardation! I could rest easy that mistakes could be amended!
Also! If Twilkitri ever gets around to finishing his bug fixes for the next version of the translation patch*, I'm the reason Oifaye is being changed to Aoife. If you have any complaints about this, they're specifically to be directed at me, because I am the cause of what will likely be a storm of "What the hell, that's not the right way to translate that" that is sure to erupt from the fandom.

* Last release was 2006, and he's only really started working on it lately. Don't get your hopes up for a quick release on this.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45338 on: April 01, 2012, 10:05:24 pm »

FE 4 also has a much better plot up to the halfway point. It's a good thing you seem to have a skipped FE 5 though. It's an excellent game, but if "randomized bullshit" in FE 6 is giving you trouble, FE 5 is an image of your worst possible randomized bullshit nightmares.

Oh no, I didn't skip 5, 5 skipped me. While I haven't played all the games in the series, I think I can safely say that 5 is bar none the hardest. Just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that FE 5 is the only game in the series that has an honest to god cheat code that gives all your characters double EXP, and even using that with savestates it's hard.

It was taken into consideration. They just don't care.

Most of Japan is built from all the fucks they don't give, this is not new to me. The only way the game could be more ruthless is if Tomonobu Itagaki personally had a hand in it's creation.

Also! If Twilkitri ever gets around to finishing his bug fixes for the next version of the translation patch*, I'm the reason Oifaye is being changed to Aoife. If you have any complaints about this, they're specifically to be directed at me, because I am the cause of what will likely be a storm of "What the hell, that's not the right way to translate that" that is sure to erupt from the fandom.

* Last release was 2006, and he's only really started working on it lately. Don't get your hopes up for a quick release on this.

Translation differences aren't a big thing really, I've personally sifted through atleast 4 different translations of the main characters names in 4.

And nobody's gonna get mad about Oifaye, he's just not that important of a character, though he does have what is probably the manliest mustache.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:07:51 pm by JoshuaFH »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45339 on: April 01, 2012, 10:06:52 pm »

Fire Emblem Rage
My best advice young grasshopper: Save States. Seriously. Don't play FE on the actual gaming system it's designed for. Bugger that noise. Buy the game. Use an emulator. RNG can bite my save-anywhere, anytime arse.

Of course, that also translates to "Don't play the gamecube and Wii ones" but whatev'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45340 on: April 01, 2012, 10:09:23 pm »

Translation differences aren't a big things really, I've personally sifted through atleast 4 different translations of the main characters names in 4.

And nobody's gonna get mad about Oifaye, he's just not that important of a character, though he does have what is probably the manliest mustache.
I moderated a Fire Emblem forum for a while. Trust me, translation debates get heated.

Though, the number of people who care about it intensely has probably fallen... It's been about 4 years since I participated in that at all, come to think about it. @_@;

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45341 on: April 01, 2012, 10:13:31 pm »

Fire Emblem Rage
My best advice young grasshopper: Save States. Seriously. Don't play FE on the actual gaming system it's designed for. Bugger that noise. Buy the game. Use an emulator. RNG can bite my save-anywhere, anytime arse.

Of course, that also translates to "Don't play the gamecube and Wii ones" but whatev'.

Not news to me, but I'm a person that's personally beaten Nethack 3 times with no save backups. It's something of a point of pride to not use savestates, though I may have to concede this point given my frustration.

Translation differences aren't a big things really, I've personally sifted through atleast 4 different translations of the main characters names in 4.

I moderated a Fire Emblem forum for a while. Trust me, translation debates get heated.

Though, the number of people who care about it intensely has probably fallen... It's been about 4 years since I participated in that at all, come to think about it. @_@;

Serious business types exist in every facet of life really, but I'm saying that it's not important to me personally.

Feel free to point me in the direction of that particular board though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #45342 on: April 01, 2012, 10:45:05 pm »

Not news to me, but I'm a person that's personally beaten Nethack 3 times with no save backups. It's something of a point of pride to not use savestates, though I may have to concede this point given my frustration.
Yeah, I'm a roguelike player too and I've done my share of no-save-scum victories (Though I'm not particularly fond of Nethack so meh). I tend to be more direct when I feel like cheating :P But plenty enough legit victories nowadays so yeaah.

Biggest thing for me with FE, even without abusing save states for seriously hardcore RNG finagling, is time. You can drop a savestate at the start of a fight or whatever and if things go south and you'd, in the same situation, go back and restart and reload and alll that craaap you can just hit F1 or whatever and bam instant reload. You just saved like three minutes or more, per reload instance.

And like a full set of ten-twelve (or more) saves at varying points? Just golden. No more losing hours of effort because it's a freaking PitA to save after every battle because menus and saving time and limited save slots bullshit on parade. Shift-1 done -- moving on! So much more efficient. So much time and effort saved. You don't even have to use it to game the system, just use it to save oodles and heaps of time.

E:Also fastforward button. Blessing of the gods, that. Shaves off even more time investment without mucking about with anything else.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:59:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45343 on: April 01, 2012, 11:18:54 pm »

Serious business types exist in every facet of life really, but I'm saying that it's not important to me personally.

Feel free to point me in the direction of that particular board though.
They appear to have brought it back online for a little reunion, and not turned posting off. The older version of it, one that was hosted on Invision's free servers, got nuked a long while ago. It took with it the majority of my best material from 2004 onward. I mostly phoned it in on the second iteration of the boards -- the one linked here.

I wasn't sad when I began posting in this thread tonight, but now I on my way toward it. Curse internet history!

I think right now the best dedicated community for Fire Emblem is Serenes Forest but I'm no longer an active member of the fandom myself. I just keep in touch with some of them on occasion, and hang out in a couple of chatrooms that branched off from it.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:23:34 pm by Willfor »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45344 on: April 01, 2012, 11:58:42 pm »

Thanks. I'm finally calmed down about the whole thing, and now with a fist full of savestates, I'll tackle the chapter again and maybe, just MAYBE, I won't accidentally break my own neck at the finish line.
Pages: 1 ... 3021 3022 [3023] 3024 3025 ... 8167