Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3018 3019 [3020] 3021 3022 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429668 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45285 on: March 29, 2012, 03:20:41 pm »

1) log in as admin
2) delete their user account; saving documents to admin desktop
3) create new user account for them
4) copy their old documents to their new folder

Anyway, I hadn't been to the doctor for a few years.

Gained more weight than I thought.

hint: my weight in pounds is a number frequently appearing after the word "XBox".

p.s. I reconfirmed today Diet Soda tastes absolutely horrible.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #45286 on: March 29, 2012, 03:28:05 pm »

1) log in as admin
2) delete their user account; saving documents to admin desktop
3) create new user account for them
4) copy their old documents to their new folder

Anyway, I hadn't been to the doctor for a few years.

Gained more weight than I thought.

hint: my weight in pounds is a number frequently appearing after the word "XBox".

p.s. I reconfirmed today Diet Soda tastes absolutely horrible.

I lost over 20 lbs just by switching to diet soda.

Try diet code red, I found it to be the least offensive to start with, and it still tastes better than other diet sodas. And now I prefer it to sugary sodas, regular code red now makes me feel ill with how syrupy it is.

I also lost over 20 lbs by cooking my own lunch instead of eating at fast food places... I have since regained half of that as I have started eating out more often again.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45287 on: March 29, 2012, 03:36:18 pm »

Its funny, the more often I cook and make food for myself, the more weight I put on because I completely lose track of the nutritional info. :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45288 on: March 29, 2012, 03:40:13 pm »

I just stopped soda altogether. I've actually gained a few pounds lately from having a case of soda around the house leftover from my son's birthday party.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45289 on: March 29, 2012, 04:05:10 pm »

My large cat, Yurri, peed in my bag so I ran out of the bathroom and smacked him on the flank. He ran down the hall. Later when I saw him he had tears in his eyes. It made me sad and I thought about how we all have our own cat's but Yurri doesn't exactly have someone to cuddle up to. I gave him some lovin's.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #45290 on: March 29, 2012, 07:01:52 pm »

I had stopped drinking soda entirely for several years; however, until I get back on proper ADHD medications, I need the caffine; and just the smell of coffee makes me sick.

Maybe I should try some teas.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #45291 on: March 29, 2012, 07:08:27 pm »

Apparently a law firm's success is judged upon what the owner drives.... A local lawyer and many medium/large firms seem to have developed a departmentalized assembly line. The lawyers know nothing outside their areas. The collections guys don't know anything but suing over unpaid bills. The litigation guys don't know anything outside courtroom stuff. etc. The client can't talk to "their lawyer" or even one lawyer, one person. This is becoming the norm and it's sucking. Nobody there has authority to do jack shit, except the owner, who is never there. It's not robo signing, but it feels like it.

I routinely beat this firm, but they don't care and don't have to, because quantity is a quality all its own.... If I beat them in 8 cases/year, they literally have 1000 others and they don't care. I was raised on the notion that hard work and diligence got you ahead. They just have so many cases run through a mill and make it up on volume. I can't compete with that (without pulling the same bullshit).
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #45292 on: March 29, 2012, 11:25:58 pm »

Now, if you could just find 124 lawyers to back you up that were just as good and just as independent, you would blow them out of the water forever.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45293 on: March 29, 2012, 11:56:43 pm »

I have an idea. Let's attend law school graduations and kidnap 20% of the class at random. They will then be subjected to a multi-day maze, with no supplies, filled with assholes both figurative and literal, each doing its damnedest to destroy utterly the hopes and dreams of the participants, with the promise of being made partner in some prestigious firm awaiting them at the end. Those who reach the exit without committing suicide or (provably) having committed murder will be promptly hired as assistant clerks; those who give you a blank look of the, "Are you fucking kidding me?" variety and walk out will later be sought out for legitimate employment. Those who attempt to bring litigation against you, not for the kidnapping or the emotional torture, but for breach of verbal contract, and win the case, will be considered for partner when they have demonstrated general competence as well.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #45294 on: March 30, 2012, 07:47:23 am »

Exact quote from a friend to me; "You're racist because you're openly criticizing religion."

So sad.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #45295 on: March 30, 2012, 07:51:07 am »

Exact quote from a friend to me; "You're racist because you're openly criticizing religion."

So sad.

Whats the right word for that?

P.S. It's really deppressing where any time I say that I don't like someone or criticise someone that has a different skin colour to me I'm branded rascist. Sad.  :(

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45296 on: March 30, 2012, 07:57:24 am »

They don't even have to have a different skin colour or nationality or whatever to play the racism card.

Stupid, I know.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45297 on: March 30, 2012, 11:25:43 am »

Now, if you could just find 124 lawyers to back you up that were just as good and just as independent, you would blow them out of the water forever.

I wonder if 124 trustworthy lawyers exist. :P I do appreciate it though, honestly. [hug]

I have an idea. Let's attend law school graduations and kidnap 20% of the class at random. They will then be subjected to a multi-day maze, with no supplies, filled with assholes both figurative and literal, each doing its damnedest to destroy utterly the hopes and dreams of the participants, with the promise of being made partner in some prestigious firm awaiting them at the end. Those who reach the exit without committing suicide or (provably) having committed murder will be promptly hired as assistant clerks; those who give you a blank look of the, "Are you fucking kidding me?" variety and walk out will later be sought out for legitimate employment. Those who attempt to bring litigation against you, not for the kidnapping or the emotional torture, but for breach of verbal contract, and win the case, will be considered for partner when they have demonstrated general competence as well.

This would actually be better than what they do now.

[rant]
The problem is, they don't teach you skill sets in law school: practically nothing. I mean they don't teach you how to get bail or CSR (Court Supervised Release), they don't teach you how to start a corporation, or incorporate anyone in any form really. They don't teach you how to write a will or a trust or a pour-over will, or a power of attorney, or how to get on your elderly client's bank/utility accounts to pay their bills when they can't. They don't teach you how to probate a will, or deal with that court at all. They don't teach you how to do a dissolution, or a divorce or a custody arrangement (shared parenting), or a modification of spousal support, or a temporary support order while litigation is pending. They don't even mention the word "garnishment" or "bank sweep" or anything about collections. They don't teach workman's compensation, or really how to actually file a bankruptcy. (You glance over the forms maybe once if you take that class). They don't even teach you how to handle an IOLTA account which is vital to dealing with funds from or for clients. They don't show you how to manage a law office or keep records. They don't teach you how to draft a deed, or a lease or a real estate purchase agreement, or a mortgage, or a mortgage release form. They don't teach you how to do title work. <--- I learned all of this basically on my own or at work. Basically, law school is nothing but an expensive hoop to jump through. I learned law in spite of it and by skipping class to read in the law library. [/rant]

[super rant]
Then they basically pretend to help you find a job, but of course they don't care and just want to look like they do. Gotta sucker in the next freshman class somehow, right? 

I've got two new law graduates who begged me to let them come following me around like lapdogs at trial to at least witness some actual legal work. They have never seen a motion to ... basically do anything. They didn't even know you had to notify the prosecution if you were going to submit an alibi.... They don't know the procedure for offering, authenticating, and effectively using evidence exhibits. Whether you go to jail or not will one day be in their hands or the hands of those like him, who have paid to be educated, but were not educated.

My first instruction, "Repeat after me, 'I will forget everything they taught me in law school, fuck them....' What are you waiting for, say it.... Good, now let me teach you about pre sentencing and adult probationary systems, like post release control. Come on, walk and talk at the same time...."

I occasionally go back to that school and professors sometimes make the mistake of asking me how I am. My response, "Still wishing you'd croak, but I see my prayers have regretfully not been answered to date.... [snaps a picture of their face on cell phone] I don't care...." The professors will either learn to not breath in the same general direction as me or continue to be berated and I'm ok with either. [/super rant]

In other news, remember how I wanted to charge a low monthly fee for a true retainer (doing whatever legal work came around for the client basically) and how I had a test case with one client to see if it'd work? I'm winning. Opposing counsel in that case is threatening to report me to the bar for doing this: something about "unethical fees." This is insane. I charged my client $720 for a whole year's services (including this trial, a will update and a traffic matter) and he charged his over $12,000 for litigating this lawsuit alone. MY fees are unethical? ??? I charged her in a year what he charges in less than 2 hours. (though admittedly I shall have to raise the amount charged or something to make the math add up if I do end up doing this more).

He'll say it's the FORM rather than the AMOUNT of the fees that is at issue: that earned on receipt fees are disfavored, as are "true retainers" (due to them having a shady past with unethical attorneys). This is true, but disfavored does not mean disallowed. Quite frankly, I believe I'll win any challenge he throws at me, but doing so is exhausting and being reported to the bar for any reason sucks. In the meantime, the one year representation contract is soon to expire and I am cautious to renew it with this threat hanging over my head, though i will have to until this trial is over at least. She understands why. My client is very happy, has had good results, has paid but a fraction of what the other side has for more services than it received, and yet I shall be called upon the carpet? No good deed goes unpunished...?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:28:45 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45298 on: March 30, 2012, 11:58:05 am »

Well generally the math is supposed to be added up by the fact that not every client will be likely to require a court case every year, right?

Also, you go, keep showing that schmuck what-for. And maybe he means it's unethical towards HIM - its not /fair/ to undercut his prices like that! :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:00:50 pm by GlyphGryph »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45299 on: March 30, 2012, 12:57:38 pm »

Well generally the math is supposed to be added up by the fact that not every client will be likely to require a court case every year, right?

Also, you go, keep showing that schmuck what-for. And maybe he means it's unethical towards HIM - its not /fair/ to undercut his prices like that! :P

Eh, kinda, unfortunately the math is more complex than I'd like it to be, primarily because there's more cost involved than you'd think.

As for him, yeah I'm sure that's part of it, but he's saying the form of my fees itself is the problem. [shrugs]. I have researched this thoroughly, I don't think he's right.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 3018 3019 [3020] 3021 3022 ... 8167