Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3016 3017 [3018] 3019 3020 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9431094 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45255 on: March 28, 2012, 08:29:50 am »

I'm just tired today. I wish I weren't so bad at falling to sleep. When these tired moods come over me, I'm trapped reminiscing over the past, and how I measure up to my past self, and realizing that I'm still pretty worthless.

Sometimes I just remember stupid stuff I've said 5-6-7 years ago, and I still get angry at myself. So angry I just want to scream and yell at myself for making saying such stupid stuff.

Heh...try 15-20-25 years ago. The girl I should have gone after, the college I should have chosen, the career path I should have taken, the relationships I shouldn't have fucked up, etc.

I was offered a full ride to University of Alabama-Hunstville. Coulda been a rocket scientist.
When I was in 7th grade, I read an article about MIT and another about making prosthetic limbs, and I was set: I was going to go to MIT and major in biomedical engineering. It was still a bleeding-edge field in the early 1990's, and I could have been a pioneer.
Then one day in high school, we were sitting around in class discussing what we wanted to do in college, and after I said my spiel, some douchebag is like "You wanna spend your day making fake arms? Uhh, okay, that sounds cool. NOT."
And that was actually enough to derail me.

Then I was gonna go to film school. Got accepted to USC, NYU and UCLA. None of them offered me money, though. Which meant they might as well have been on the Moon.

So I wound up at the local university because they offered me a full ride and it was close and easy (and safe because it meant not abandoning that support network). Then I blew the full ride by spending most of my freshman year drunk, depressed and/or shacked up with a psychotic nymphomaniac.

But here's the thing...if any of those decisions had been made differently, I wouldn't have met my wife, and I wouldn't have the children that I do today. So (and this is where being a Taoist is a big help), I assume that everything that happened did so as it was meant to. Sure, it's probably rationalizing any possible outcome as the "best" outcome, but if that's what it takes to get through the day without a fifth of whiskey or a bullet in the brainpan, then so be it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45256 on: March 28, 2012, 10:08:21 am »

Hey, it doesn't even need to be meant to happen, exactly. You still wouldn't be you, and you wouldn't have many of the things in life that you now hold dearest to your heart. The only thing that'd keep you from missing them is that you'd never even have known what you would miss.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #45257 on: March 28, 2012, 10:35:10 am »

Chances are you'd have had bad periods going away as well. I think the problem is that we're collectively landed on university while we still have our baby fat, hence so many people often end up burning out.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45258 on: March 28, 2012, 10:45:09 am »

Confidence for the day is shot. That girl who was acting like she thought I was cute? Yeah, she's married. I'm an idiot.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #45259 on: March 28, 2012, 10:53:20 am »

Ugh. Today is not a good day if i'm sick enough to completly miss class.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45260 on: March 28, 2012, 11:59:06 am »

Confidence for the day is shot. That girl who was acting like she thought I was cute? Yeah, she's married. I'm an idiot.

And that's stopping you ... why?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45261 on: March 28, 2012, 12:01:08 pm »

I'm gonna guess that the statistically reasonable assumption that it's a monogamous marriage is being made, or even moreso that there are specific cues or an explicit statement that it is the case.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45262 on: March 28, 2012, 12:01:32 pm »

Pretend the husband is a shark.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45263 on: March 28, 2012, 12:08:41 pm »

Worsened a clients problem with assumptions.  Orders were to back up data and then reinstall the operating system.  Saw the drive hooked up to our backup system with nothing running on the system.   I assumed that someone else had already finished the backup but didn't remove the drive yet(which happens pretty often) and didn't double check.

Sure enough I found out the hard drive was not backed up half way through the format.  The drive is now getting read by our damaged drive software to try to recover the data that was supposed to be backed up.  It looks like it found it, but the eta estimate is 24 hours for the software to recover the data.  They were supposed to be ready by this afternoon.   I really need to pay attention more.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45264 on: March 28, 2012, 12:49:56 pm »

You might also want to encourage people to leave sticky notes about unfinished business when they leave.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45265 on: March 28, 2012, 01:10:20 pm »

We do have a microsoft CRM database for that with a custom form to keep track of what is happening on the bench, but I seem to be the only one who actually uses it outside of putting in the client name and phone number.  Half the time I find I'm working on a system that wasn't even entered into it yet.

Maybe I should bring in a pack of sticky notes, maybe folks will get the hint.  Especially when they see this hard drive doing the format recovery tomarrow.  Still partially my fault though, I shoulda checked the backup directory.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45266 on: March 28, 2012, 01:11:24 pm »

Saw a screamer. Thoroughly rustled my jimmies.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45267 on: March 28, 2012, 01:16:36 pm »

?

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45268 on: March 28, 2012, 01:20:04 pm »

?

Went lurking on creepypastas, because that's what I do when I'm down. It's a good way to take your mind off of things. Screamer. Jimmies.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #45269 on: March 28, 2012, 01:43:35 pm »

Clerk is not only unable to balance a checkbook, but is unwilling/unable to learn. Suggested that I should take care of it, because "it's not something two people should do," and also comically "I don't even like paying my own bills...."

I'm sure she doesn't pay her bills, that's what she has a rich dad for...[sigh].

This is not fucking hard and certainly should not be for a 2nd year law student.... There's a simple excel spreadsheet, it's basically set up like a checkbook. Each bill type has a number to track it. All the electric bills, for example are #00001, so you just type or even copy and paste most of the information and then put in the amount. There's a printed off version of the spreadsheet in front of each stack of each kind of bills (electric, water, gas, etc)

So if you wanna know how much the electric bill has been, you just go to the spreadsheet/ledger that says:
"#00001 Electric" and there in sequential order are the monthly electric bills. Behind that printed off spreadsheet/ledger page are the nicely stacked bills and copies of the checks used to pay them.

And, you just literally type/write down what comes in the mail each month, make a copy of the check to prove you paid it and that's it.... She can't tell if a bill has been paid? Is there a check number written down on the ledger and a photocopy of the check used to pay the damn bill? Then it's paid....

This is what she doesn't get: Open the mail, write down what the bill was for, make a copy of the check to prove it was paid, mail bill out... THAT'S IT. That's all this particular task requires of her.... It's hardly more involved than paying your own bills, which she doesn't do because rich dad does it for her....

And then, she has the fucking nerve to suggest I do it...? I'm already doing part of her job because if it doesn't get done then I can't do my fucking job.... The reason she isn't fired is the same reason she got the job: boss is hoping her dad will buy the business so he can retire....

No really, picture a stack of electric bills and on top of that stack of electric bills, is a piece of paper showing how much each bill is and what check number was used to pay it. Same thing for the stack of water bills, and for the stack of gas bills, etc. All of these are placed in a folder and on the inside cover of the folder is a list of all the stacks of bills "#00001 electric, #00002 water, #00003 gas, #00004 cable," it's a table of contents essentially.

.... ??? So much headache.... So little ability legally to kill the source....

P.S. Please kids, figure out how to balance a checkbook. Millions of people are morons, don't let yourself be one. Together we can end being a moron in our lifetime. For just no pennies a day, you can make sure there is one less person who can't balance a checkbook.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:47:46 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 3016 3017 [3018] 3019 3020 ... 8167