Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2998 2999 [3000] 3001 3002 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9445178 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #44985 on: March 21, 2012, 08:12:05 pm »

It's not to be discussed, really. If you're terribly interested, just go look.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44986 on: March 21, 2012, 08:25:40 pm »

Imo Bay12 is for Bay12, and the bronie forum is for bronies.

Neither should coincide.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44987 on: March 21, 2012, 08:29:45 pm »

But interweaving is fine~

Yeah it's a bay12 forum, not a pony forum, not a homestuck forum, not a politics forum, etc. Priorities.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44988 on: March 21, 2012, 08:41:20 pm »

True.

I just got sick of the bleed that was happening with the bronies into the actual DF.

I liked my DF to be MLP free...

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44989 on: March 21, 2012, 08:41:51 pm »

Then don't install any of the mods or participate in any of the community forts~
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #44990 on: March 21, 2012, 08:43:59 pm »

So I'm getting a house with four friends in Louisville next year, and all four of them are spending the whole summer in it while I have to stay in Cincinnati working. No parties, nothing interesting all going on for three months while my friends will likely be having a blast every weekend.

I'm thinking of working for two months and going down to Louisville to pick up something like a job at a newspaper for some publications. Those look good if you're going into anything journalism-related.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44991 on: March 21, 2012, 09:36:20 pm »

Thank you Solifuge, you were always a helpful person. I feel like my ordinary day is getting up, then lying face first on the floor for 16 hours, then getting up to go to sleep. That I'm a dead person, just moving around and consuming resources. If not dead, then dying, just dying one day at a time.

ProTip: Stop thinking of yourself as an abnormally weak, listless, or hopeless person. It's not who you are, but who you're being. There's a difference, and that difference is that you can control and change it. If you focus purely on whats wrong with where you are, rather than what and where you want to be, you'll keep dwelling in it.

You clearly don't want to be living this lifestyle, and I can tell you from personal experience that the ability to make it stop right now is, and has always been, in your hands. Jumping the gap between 0 and 1 is far harder than jumping the gap between 1 and 2... but as past experience no doubt tells you, once you start taking care of business, you always feel better, and it gets easier.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #44992 on: March 21, 2012, 09:39:09 pm »

I think one big thing that helped me out was finding out, that to myself, life really doesn't have a point or a purpose. So if there's no expectations of you beyond just enjoying yourself and keeping friends and family happy then where's the stress?

But that's just me. I feel not feeling I gotta make something of myself and just doing what comes naturally has made me happier.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44993 on: March 21, 2012, 09:50:18 pm »

It's all about making of your life what you want to make of it. If you stop measuring yourself against arbitrary "markers of success", and instead cultivate whatever brings you lasting happiness and satisfaction, you'll be a more content and fulfilled person, which is all that's important to me.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #44994 on: March 21, 2012, 09:54:37 pm »

I need to word it like that next time I try to explain that to someone. Since my argument hinging on calling life meaningless I suppose can come off as depressing!
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #44995 on: March 21, 2012, 10:05:02 pm »

I'm doing really terrible (in my own opinion) at my job, but I skate by by asking the right insightful style questions at the right time (in front of the bosses)

Like asking how well someone documented a process they are presenting for our group to use; the process looks great, but without the right docs...

That and the fact we only have 2 people in the team when we should have 4; but my boss is picky, he wants 'mature' people like me... but I play video games half the day, and read video game forums at work dammit! I'm not Old, ok, I do have some grey hair, but that's partly triggered by medications... and my boss is slightly worried they are trying to push him out for someone younger... while he's avoiding hiring younger people himself...

Still kept this job for 5 months without ADHD medication; which I'm not taking since I'm afraid that the salmonella poisoning I had a few months ago did heart valve damage, and if I take stimulants I might die.

mild chest pain, left arm pain in the mornings... ...

really should make a doctors appointment, since I have insurance, but my ADHD keeps me from following through on making the appointment...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44996 on: March 21, 2012, 10:13:29 pm »

Thank you Solifuge, you were always a helpful person. I feel like my ordinary day is getting up, then lying face first on the floor for 16 hours, then getting up to go to sleep. That I'm a dead person, just moving around and consuming resources. If not dead, then dying, just dying one day at a time.

ProTip: Stop thinking of yourself as an abnormally weak, listless, or hopeless person. It's not who you are, but who you're being. There's a difference, and that difference is that you can control and change it. If you focus purely on whats wrong with where you are, rather than what and where you want to be, you'll keep dwelling in it.

You clearly don't want to be living this lifestyle, and I can tell you from personal experience that the ability to make it stop right now is, and has always been, in your hands. Jumping the gap between 0 and 1 is far harder than jumping the gap between 1 and 2... but as past experience no doubt tells you, once you start taking care of business, you always feel better, and it gets easier.

I'll keep your words in mind Solifuge. I'll be heading to bed now.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44997 on: March 21, 2012, 10:17:42 pm »

I need to word it like that next time I try to explain that to someone. Since my argument hinging on calling life meaningless I suppose can come off as depressing!

Well, “Life is meaningless,” is not precise to say. As meaning or purpose is the experience or intent of a mind, you must mention to whom it has no meaning or purpose. Even if it did have a meaning or a purpose—that is to say, someone had a meaning or a purpose for it—I would then proceed to ask if I really cared what this person or being or god wanted.

Now, I am not entirely confident that I understand what anyone means when they say this, so I could be mistaken about the whole thing.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44998 on: March 21, 2012, 10:21:44 pm »

IMO the whole concept of "experience" is what makes life worth living. You really don't get anything else out of life, and the universe itself is useless without providing experiences. The universe may be vast and pretty when looking up at it, but if no one was there to look at it, would its "vast" or "pretty" qualities mean anything at all?

You don't need to justify yourself to the universe, it needs to justify itself to you. Earn the experiences you want to have, and your life will be a "success."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #44999 on: March 21, 2012, 10:28:20 pm »

Unfortunately for me, the experiences I want to have involve charging into battle atop a cybernetic tyrannosaurus, destroying my foes with my mighty eye beams. Presumably simulated foes, I guess. For the sake of morality. Anyway, it's gonna be a while.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 2998 2999 [3000] 3001 3002 ... 8167