Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2978 2979 [2980] 2981 2982 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447420 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #44685 on: March 16, 2012, 10:05:57 am »

Receive message from client: "Tell him not to worry about it, I talked to the prosecutor. He said it was fine."
[Fucking shock and abject horror from me, followed by stotic calm and phone call]
Client: "Hello."
Me: "You talked to the prosecution, on your own, no one approached you, you went to them?"
Client: "Well hello to you too, and yup."
Me: "What happened, who said what, exactly?"
Client: "He said it was ok and we'd work something out. Not to worry about it."
Me: [awkward silence] "Work something out...? Did he give you any details on that and did you say anything to him?"
Client: "He said we could put it behind us. It's ok, really, I took care of it. Told you it wasn't hard."
Me: [Silence] "You didn't admit to anything did you? Anything?"
Client: "I'm not stupid."
Me: "Get anything in writing saying he'd do anything or not charge you?"
Client: "What, no, look just relax."
Me: "Yeah, he's not gonna honor shit, you know that right? You have nothing with him, nothing.... Plus he probably managed to get you to say something he'll use against you, because by doing this yourself without me...."

Client proceeds to tell me I'm blowing things out of proportion. Two days later, I receive a new evidence of ... guess what from the prosecution.... Admissions of a negative nature volunteered by client.....

[Head...desk] He just ruined my entire theory of the case and defense by admitting to certain things that you wouldn't think would matter.
Spoiler: Appropriate image. (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #44686 on: March 16, 2012, 10:07:49 am »

Now imagine the whole transcript as Truean and Dr Z. So appropriate.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44687 on: March 16, 2012, 10:08:51 am »

Although I don't really think people being overly trusting of others should ever be considered a bad thing.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44688 on: March 16, 2012, 10:09:38 am »

Truean, have you tried the stupidity defense?

"Your honor, my client cannot be held responsible for his actions on account of him being a moron."

Now where's that SMBC theatre video...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44689 on: March 16, 2012, 10:10:27 am »

Now imagine the whole transcript as Truean and Dr Z. So appropriate.
Does that make Truean Leela?  :P

Although I don't really think people being overly trusting of others should ever be considered a bad thing.
Do tell....I have some lovely oceanfront property in New Mexico you might be interested in then...

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44690 on: March 16, 2012, 10:16:58 am »

Do tell....I have some lovely oceanfront property in New Mexico you might be interested in then...

Taking advantage of other people's naiveté is what is bad, not naive people falling for other people's ruses and lies.
Love, scriver~

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44691 on: March 16, 2012, 10:23:58 am »

2:18 am... CAN'T FUCKING SLEEP.
Don't even feel tired at all, not one bit, yet can't function. I tried to get some programming done and every few minutes I feel like beating myself over the head with a ladle for the dumbest errors you can imagine. If I start forgetting semi-colons, I swear...

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #44692 on: March 16, 2012, 10:29:18 am »

Taking advantage of other people's naiveté is what is bad, not naive people falling for other people's ruses and lies.
I agree with this, up until the point where you willingly give information to your own prosecution (or the police for that matter). There's naiveté and there's being blithely ignorant of one's own interests. Law is a shade-filled land where mistrust is a virtue.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44693 on: March 16, 2012, 10:41:15 am »

That's a bit like saying "It's the lion's fault for eating him, not the fact that he wandered into a nature preserve while wearing a coat made out of raw meat." I get what you're saying, but c'mon...the world is like that.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #44694 on: March 16, 2012, 10:45:37 am »

Imma blame English for using the same word to describe "incorrect" and "evil".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44695 on: March 16, 2012, 10:47:01 am »

That's a bit like saying "It's the lion's fault for eating him, not the fact that he wandered into a nature preserve while wearing a coat made out of raw meat." I get what you're saying, but c'mon...the world is like that.
*fist shake*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44696 on: March 16, 2012, 10:56:27 am »

*fist shake*
I fail to see how either of those apply. I wasn't making a moral judgement, nor attempting to justify it from any perceived (a)morality in the natural world.

I wasn't saying "Lions eat anything too dumb to run away from them, therefore con-men ought to swindle anyone dumb enough to fall for them."

It was more of a "Lions are an environmental danger (in some locations), and cognizance of that danger is the responsibility of the individual. Likewise, being tricked by those with nefarious intent is essentially an environmental danger (in pretty much any location with more than a couple of people in it), and cognizance of that danger is likewise the responsibility of the individual."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44697 on: March 16, 2012, 11:01:05 am »

Aqizzar, they are paying you a pittance and expecting 60 hours. They have every intent of burning you out for what little your worth and then tossing you out on your ass. Don't kill themselves for you.

Basic entry-level programming is 40k and up. If they're paying you less, its because they don't expect you to be able to do any real programming. So, just chill, and most importantly don't let them destroy you. You may be salaried, but this doesn't mean your a slave, and it SOUNDS like the sort of job where they are going to fire you as soon as the product gets finished or your up for a pay raise anyways, so use it for the experience but don't kill yourself for them.

And try to avoid picking up bad habits, I guess...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44698 on: March 16, 2012, 11:52:08 am »

Aqizzar, they are paying you a pittance and expecting 60 hours. They have every intent of burning you out for what little your worth and then tossing you out on your ass. Don't kill themselves for you.

Basic entry-level programming is 40k and up. If they're paying you less, its because they don't expect you to be able to do any real programming. So, just chill, and most importantly don't let them destroy you. You may be salaried, but this doesn't mean your a slave, and it SOUNDS like the sort of job where they are going to fire you as soon as the product gets finished or your up for a pay raise anyways, so use it for the experience but don't kill yourself for them.

And try to avoid picking up bad habits, I guess...
^^^^^^^^
This.

Sounds like they want a codemonkey on the dirt cheap. Look at it as a way to get hands-on training and make a few bucks to boot. You'll probably be asked to do a lot of the drudge work, which isn't all bad, because it will drill certain skills and knowledge into you by sheer force of repetition.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #44699 on: March 16, 2012, 12:03:25 pm »

Some acquitances of mine already got a call while I did not so far... bad sign. (Relatively. It's not like I applied for anything I couldnt get anyway, through other means. It'd be a nice opportunity if it came through, but all it means if it doesn't is that I'll look for other venues. I'll also be offended, but that's about it.d)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:48:18 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 2978 2979 [2980] 2981 2982 ... 8167