Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2975 2976 [2977] 2978 2979 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448997 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #44640 on: March 15, 2012, 12:17:46 pm »

I cannot fathom that people don't understand that they're hiring you to help them do something that they can't. Mind boggling.

"Why can't you just reroute power from the video card to the processor?" *facepalm*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44641 on: March 15, 2012, 12:21:02 pm »

Most people get an entitlement complex when paying for services.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44642 on: March 15, 2012, 12:21:14 pm »

I cannot fathom that people don't understand that they're hiring you to help them do something that they can't. Mind boggling.

"Why can't you just reroute power from the video card to the processor?" *facepalm*

See, the answer to that at least should be obvious, "because this isn't star trek where all the systems are somehow compatible due to hollywood script magic." Also it doesn't work that way.

I could sorta see how "why can't I just put the copy of the document right into evidence," could be a little confusing, but after I explain it.... ???

Most people get an entitlement complex when paying for services.
Yes, specifically entitled to the impossible, or that they didn't pay for but think they should get because they paid you anything at all....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44643 on: March 15, 2012, 12:28:15 pm »

A lot of people believe that computers run on black magic, though. Or, they have a don't know, don't care, but still an expert attitude.

That belongs in the RAAAAAAGGEEE thread, though.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44644 on: March 15, 2012, 12:29:41 pm »

Half the shit I program runs on black magic rather than any logic or reason, so there might be some truth to that.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44645 on: March 15, 2012, 12:30:47 pm »

Only half? All I do runs on BM, and I bet MoM beats even that.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44646 on: March 15, 2012, 12:37:35 pm »

Looking at trading in my PS2 and assorted games and peripherals. Realized I've had this thing for 12 years now. Gonna miss that little black box.

You were my first DVD player, my outlet for making my favorite football team when they couldn't win for shit in RL, my dance machine, my outlet for being a guitar hero.

You let my wife and I bond over countless hours of Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, you let us roll up the world with our Katamaris, and you let us derive entirely too much enjoyment from carjacking someone so we could go commit a drive-by on the streets of Liberty City.

Sayonara, old friend.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44647 on: March 15, 2012, 12:53:47 pm »

Don't do that! Mod it and play imports/hacks.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44648 on: March 15, 2012, 01:15:19 pm »

The proper answer, of course, is "Well, in theory I could...if I inverted the phase polarity of the charge couplers, but then that could cause a cascade effect in the flux capacitors and we don't want THAT, if you know what I mean?"

9 times out of 10, the customer will just nod like they understood what the hell you just said and say, "Oh...right."
The 10th one will just go "What?"

I have, on occasion, answered a stupid technical question with complete technobabble just to get them to shut the hell up. There's nothing more annoying that trying to fix something while you have a person hovering around you going "What does that mean? Is that important? Oh! I saw that before. What are you doing now? What's that for?"

You know, there's a reason that auto repair shops and operating rooms make you wait outside in a nice lobby with some chairs and a TV...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44649 on: March 15, 2012, 02:32:21 pm »

Looking at trading in my PS2 and assorted games and peripherals. Realized I've had this thing for 12 years now. Gonna miss that little black box.

You were my first DVD player, my outlet for making my favorite football team when they couldn't win for shit in RL, my dance machine, my outlet for being a guitar hero.

You let my wife and I bond over countless hours of Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, you let us roll up the world with our Katamaris, and you let us derive entirely too much enjoyment from carjacking someone so we could go commit a drive-by on the streets of Liberty City.

Sayonara, old friend.

Can I be interested in what games you're throwing into the wind?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #44650 on: March 15, 2012, 02:43:55 pm »

A lot of people believe that computers run on black magic, though

:-\

I thought it was blue magic. Y'know, the blue smoke that is said to come out and make the computer pieces not work...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #44651 on: March 15, 2012, 02:46:51 pm »

Nah, blue magic would be learning new abilities from...devouring other...monsters.

Wow, that actually makes a lot of sense.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44652 on: March 15, 2012, 03:12:07 pm »

Truean's day so far:
Informed at work my aunt died today, Bank--despite my spending 5 hours at various banks personally showing the managers the POA (Power of Attorney) and successor trustee documents-- will not honor said POA with me as a signatory on the checks I've wrote, as a result the they are refusing to honor said checks (after three weeks of cashing them), this means the caregivers to my elderly and infirm client are not getting cash from their paychecks, this means they are coming to my office understandably upset and blaming me (exactly as the bank is telling them to), plus I've got a million other cases calling, also I'm still setting up a nice large accounting system to deal with the personal, trust, and business assets for this client. You'd think this would be lucrative for me, but remember the bank not cashing the checks...? Yeah.... Also I can't really bill for these hours.... That's in addition to my other cases in early morning criminal docket and a civil case....

I'm not impressed with Bank ignoring legal documents and court appointments that have taken me hours and days to do, file, get approved, etc. Shall I allow Bank's corporate trust committee to approve my appointment as successor trustee or should I just take all the money out of your bank via authority direct from client and move it to your competition no matter the result of this...? Shall I give manager and manager's supervisor a free lesson in banking law, how to do their jobs, why they just lost a large account, the legal liability they've just exposed themselves to, and all in elegantly poisoned words?

I had to apologetically cancel and reschedule 4 appointments today to deal with manager's "fresh out of college, look at me I know what I'm doing," ass today. I saw him chew out the teller for being nice to me, which is her job....

This is the only bank I've ever had problems with. I am under normal circumstances the most stupidly polite person you will ever see, but really Bank? Really? Even your equally sleazy competitors don't pull this shit....

[groan, accounting, accounting, account, cancel caregiver's void paycheck, reissue, accounting, grumble] :P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44653 on: March 15, 2012, 03:15:06 pm »

Can you at least share what bank it was so we know to stay away or do you have some sort of wonky obligation not to?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44654 on: March 15, 2012, 03:15:32 pm »

100 awful people that would murder their gay child, I know there's probably a good amount of people on there exaggerating but still...  :(

This makes me want to cry. It reminds me of a whole clique of people at my school that are super-christian and flaunt it, and then say horrible things. One friend of mine even said (while talking about these 'Gay =/= Stupid' posters), that it didn't matter what they thought because they were horrible abominations. (Or something very close to that.)

I wanted to cry right there. :/
Schools are an artificial age-delinated environment that encourages the growth of self-reinforcing feedback loops in the inhabitants because everybody's going through the same sort of biological and psychological developments at about the same time. Because high schools are inhabited by the strange semi-adults (also known as "teenageras") who comine the fading simple clarity of childhood with the onrushing responsibilitis and ambiguities of adulthood, they tend to ape the loudest of the cultural currents of the adult world without the capability to truly understand the complexities of those currents. Because the loudest cultural currents in the current age are the backlash of the minority Christian fundamentalists and far-right-wing conservative mouthpieces, those are the attitudes that are most likely to be aped in todays schools, just as the "Flower Children" were in their day. Because of the aforementioned feedback loop, these aped beliefs thend to be aped by other students providing the original imitator is sufficiently popular.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 2975 2976 [2977] 2978 2979 ... 8167