Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2969 2970 [2971] 2972 2973 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443816 times)

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #44550 on: March 13, 2012, 03:39:21 pm »

My computer keeps crashing.

D:

I need to do, like, so many things so it stops failing. Defragging, for instance...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44551 on: March 13, 2012, 03:44:57 pm »

This.

It makes me sad because that speech gives hopes that humans will be better one day, whilst actually we're sliding downwards with velocity accelerating every day :c

Hardly. The last thirty years have been among the least violent (over a similar period) in history. The powers of the rich, as excessive as they have become, are nowhere near as great as they once were. Bigotry is dying, though much more slowly than one would prefer. Each year more tyrants find that might is no longer enough to hold against the will of the masses, while the world at large aids the masses rather than sitting on the sideline or trying to maintain the status quo. It's true that the state of the world is in something of a slump, but it's a divot in a mountain compared to where we were a mere century ago.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #44552 on: March 13, 2012, 03:46:07 pm »

This.

It makes me sad because that speech gives hopes that humans will be better one day, whilst actually we're sliding downwards with velocity accelerating every day :c

I must say, that was quite a superbly written and delivered speech.

I'm going to reserve comment on the world >.>

It is good to think, though, like Chaplin said, technology can help for peace - his very own speech is kept alive by technology.

Hardly. The last thirty years have been among the least violent (over a similar period) in history.

[...]

It's true that the state of the world is in something of a slump, but it's a divot in a mountain compared to where we were a mere century ago.

Indeed. The world has been quite peaceful now-a-days. I think we're on the edge of something. Whether its war or peace is to be seen :3

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44553 on: March 13, 2012, 03:57:57 pm »

Yeah, I think the world is getting better over time, it's just usually at a painfully slow rate, especially when it's all 3 steps forward, 2 steps back.

Where the heck did that come from? I'm supposed to be a pessimist.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44554 on: March 13, 2012, 04:02:04 pm »

Was browsing the front page of CNN, saw one of the stories as headlined "Child's fingers found in trash".

NOT F**KING CLICKING THAT.  :'(

Relevant: Nation Refuses To Read Headline Beyond Words '4-Year Old Forced To'

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44555 on: March 13, 2012, 04:04:57 pm »

lost my level 20 archer in realm of the mad god

link:http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/

its free but the gold is not dont worry it is not necessary
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44556 on: March 13, 2012, 04:15:49 pm »

This.

Hardly. The last thirty years have been among the least violent (over a similar period) in history. The powers of the rich, as excessive as they have become, are nowhere near as great as they once were. Bigotry is dying, though much more slowly than one would prefer. Each year more tyrants find that might is no longer enough to hold against the will of the masses, while the world at large aids the masses rather than sitting on the sideline or trying to maintain the status quo. It's true that the state of the world is in something of a slump, but it's a divot in a mountain compared to where we were a mere century ago.

I love that speech. Right up there with the end of "Knowledge or Certainty" by Jacob Bronowski, among my favorite quotes on the truth of human nature.

People really do want to do good, help one another even when we don't stand to benefit, and improve the world. We're innately good beings, though beings that can be misguided, or worse come to justify wrongdoing as something good, just, or necessary. We always think we are doing the right thing, though if other people don't agree, it can be very hard to admit that your actions were wrong. Stubbornness, dogmatism, personal hardship and trauma... all of these can harden us against Right Action, and lead people to believe themselves correct despite the protests of others.

The more connected we are with others; the more we hear their voices, understand their troubles, and can overcome our personal ignorance and dogmatism with understanding, the closer we come to a united world. The internet is helping us head that way, spreading information and experiences en masse... now we all need to do our part to teach ourselves, and share that broader worldview with others.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44557 on: March 13, 2012, 09:58:01 pm »

My favorite feline pet overlord just shat on top of the microwave. You've got to be shitting me.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44558 on: March 13, 2012, 10:27:02 pm »

You've got to be shitting me.
... Didn't it just do that?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #44559 on: March 13, 2012, 10:34:48 pm »

My favorite feline pet overlord just shat on top of the microwave. You've got to be shitting me.
In the cats mind...
*It's my microwave now bitch! Now get over here and heat me up some leftovers!*

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44560 on: March 13, 2012, 11:27:06 pm »

In the cats mind...
*It's my microwave now bitch! Now get over here and heat me up some leftovers!*

You can always flip the microwave on it's back and fill it with kitty litter and BAM! Impromptu litter box.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44561 on: March 14, 2012, 12:10:18 am »

Was browsing the front page of CNN, saw one of the stories as headlined "Child's fingers found in trash".

NOT F**KING CLICKING THAT.  :'(

Relevant: Nation Refuses To Read Headline Beyond Words '4-Year Old Forced To'

I read the whole article before I realized it was in the onion.

in other news, what made ME sad today was,
Toady gave me a warning for jokingly being mean to a vegetarian on the forum :(
But on the bright side I got a pm from toady, so that part was pretty cool I guess.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44562 on: March 14, 2012, 01:28:38 am »

As a vegetarian, I'm curious about what you said.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44563 on: March 14, 2012, 02:01:04 am »

He said that vegetarians wasn't welcome here and should go away. It wasn't very funny.
Love, scriver~

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44564 on: March 14, 2012, 10:30:50 am »

As the anti-vegetarian, I am interested in splitting a meal with Japa.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 2969 2970 [2971] 2972 2973 ... 8167