Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2955 2956 [2957] 2958 2959 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9441920 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #44340 on: March 08, 2012, 10:38:15 am »

So if I wanted to donate to an aid group, what is the best alternative to IC?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44341 on: March 08, 2012, 10:39:34 am »

Me?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44342 on: March 08, 2012, 10:39:56 am »

When I donate, it's to Doctors Without Borders.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44343 on: March 08, 2012, 11:49:43 am »

Yay, Valid understands.

90% of people i know have been going nutso about Kony, so two of my cousins and I did some research.

1. Kony was ousted from Uganda in 2006, following UN efforts. That does not mean that he is no longer active; his 'Lord's Resistance Army' - a hardline Christian army is still out there.
2. The group who made the video, 'Invisible Children', have been photographed posing with members of other Child Armies. Not doing anything about it, merely posing with them. When this was pointed out, they argued that Uganda's army was a greater threat.
3. Only 31% of the money donated to IC goes to help African Children.
4. What of the remaining 69% of your money? It goes to the pockets of the three heads of the organisation- already multimillionaires.
5. IC has been condemned multiple times for refusing external audits. What reason would a charity have to refuse external audits? Unless they had something to hide.
6. The UN has already been doing work there for a long time. If you wish to help African people, then donate to well-established charities that take a pittance out of their donations so they can run.
7. My personal opinion is that this is a scam that works by appealing to the general hive-mind of the public- that is, they want to be appearing to helping a cause, and if they donate to a cause then that feeling is assuaged. Kony2012 under IC exploits that.

Finally:My thoughts? Or a TL;DR.

IC is a scam. Kony is indeed a brutal dictator, but there are worse, and the UN have been working there for a long time now.
IC IS A SCAM.
If you want to help, donate to established charities like Oxfam, Medicines Sans Frontieres or similar.

I'm noticing a distinct lack of citations.

Also why is "Christian" bolded?  Does it matter what they believe?  So far the only person I've seen play up their religion is Rush Limbaugh saying "Obama invades Uganda, attacks Christians."

EDIT:  They haven't submitted to an external audit, that one's true.  I'm all for going against the sudden bandwagon of kids thinking they can save the world with posters and facebook statuses, but I'd like to see the sources for the rest of this stuff.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:57:06 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #44344 on: March 08, 2012, 12:36:00 pm »

Aside from the audit one, those are all very good reasons for taking issue with them (but not necessarily with the cause they purport to support), and given the citations request I'm quite happy to agree with you (although you could be a bit less aggressive, since you kind of seem to be acting as if anyone who doesn't share your knowledge is evil or stupid). I'm quite leery of any reasoning of the form, "Why would they refuse unless they have something to hide?" Now, arguing that they ought to do so as a way of proving to donators that their money is being wisely spent, that's reasonable, but that's not the approach you seem to be taking.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44345 on: March 08, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »

I saw a picture of that Kony thing on Somethingawful.  The white dude on the far left looked liked Tim Buckley which scared the crap out of me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44346 on: March 08, 2012, 01:27:42 pm »

Stuck on a 2-hour conference call, which as far as I can tell the only reason I was requested to be on it as for a 5-second "atta boy" at some point. Which I guess is nice, other than the fact we're all gonna get laid off in 6 months. If I wasn't in an open cube farm, I'd fire up some DF to while away the time.

EDIT: Wow, wasn't even 5 seconds. It's like sitting through an incredibly boring movie because you're an extra in one scene for all of two seconds. Woo.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:02:32 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44347 on: March 08, 2012, 02:10:06 pm »

Our install DVD for windows 7 home went bad.  No reason I can figure, still looks physically fine, but it's not a big deal anyway, we have disk images on our server just in case.  So I whip out a blank DVD and start burning a replacement at minimum speed to make sure it all goes right.  The costumer we need to do the reinstall for comes in, I explain that we had an unexpected delay and to come back at the end of the day and it will be done then.

I come back to the burn and see that it's throwing an error.  "Error reading image data".  It still finishes up the disk and I give it a shot but it's a no go.  Burn another one hoping it was a simple one time error.  And get the same error in the same place.  Our backup is bad. Well fuck.

So now I got a guy that I can't get ahold of on his contact number, coming in later today, an OS less computer needing Windows 7 Home specifically, no functioning windows 7 home DVD, no solution in my head, and a boss out of contact at a doctor's appointment.  I suppose self disappointment counts as sadness right?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44348 on: March 08, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »

« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:01:26 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44349 on: March 08, 2012, 05:27:56 pm »

I guess it's up to me to learn how to code if I want any sort of actual real programming success done with my game ideas.

I just started catching up on the Programmer Thread today. Everything is a tad confusing still, where a tad = very very very.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44350 on: March 08, 2012, 05:30:21 pm »

Everything is a tad confusing still, where a tad = very very very.
Dude! You can't just go around assigning values to global variables like that! Now I can't do maths D:
*Hugs*

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44351 on: March 08, 2012, 05:31:25 pm »

Oh man I should've put a bracket or something there I just know it.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44352 on: March 08, 2012, 07:19:02 pm »

Our install DVD for windows 7 home went bad.  No reason I can figure, still looks physically fine, but it's not a big deal anyway, we have disk images on our server just in case.  So I whip out a blank DVD and start burning a replacement at minimum speed to make sure it all goes right.  The costumer we need to do the reinstall for comes in, I explain that we had an unexpected delay and to come back at the end of the day and it will be done then.

I come back to the burn and see that it's throwing an error.  "Error reading image data".  It still finishes up the disk and I give it a shot but it's a no go.  Burn another one hoping it was a simple one time error.  And get the same error in the same place.  Our backup is bad. Well fuck.

So now I got a guy that I can't get ahold of on his contact number, coming in later today, an OS less computer needing Windows 7 Home specifically, no functioning windows 7 home DVD, no solution in my head, and a boss out of contact at a doctor's appointment.  I suppose self disappointment counts as sadness right?
try the windows 7 usb tool, you might have a bad burner.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44353 on: March 08, 2012, 07:49:24 pm »

Everything is a tad confusing still, where a tad = very very very.
Dude! You can't just go around assigning values to global variables like that! Now I can't do maths D:

thank you  :D

I don't laugh very much, but this made me burst out laughing.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44354 on: March 08, 2012, 08:23:30 pm »

Google is reporting jayisgames.com as a malicious site. This makes me sad, where will I get flash games now D:
Pages: 1 ... 2955 2956 [2957] 2958 2959 ... 8167