Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2940 2941 [2942] 2943 2944 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446291 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #44115 on: March 01, 2012, 04:41:45 pm »

I'm just waiting for someone to point at a corner case, where I can then promptly backpedal to say NORMAL people.

Well if people made out of pure hate are not normal people, how the hell do you get normal people who hate? D:
You can hate without being converted into a being of raw, living rage. Although it's certainly tempting to do the full matter->hate conversion.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44116 on: March 01, 2012, 04:43:34 pm »

I'm just waiting for someone to point at a corner case, where I can then promptly backpedal to say NORMAL people.

Well if people made out of pure hate are not normal people, how the hell do you get normal people who hate? D:
You can hate without being converted into a being of raw, living rage. Although it's certainly tempting to do the full matter->hate conversion.

Cross breeding. It creates the pure hatred/normal hybrid.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44117 on: March 01, 2012, 05:48:32 pm »

Casual hate for the universe?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44118 on: March 01, 2012, 05:49:57 pm »

Pretty much how I feel, yeah.

Of course, she's my mom so she's not happy about it.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44119 on: March 01, 2012, 06:38:31 pm »

Casual hate for the universe?
I often get the feeling the universe is laughing about all kinds of stuff maniacally, sure. 

Casual hate: all the one night stands turn into holy acrimony

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44120 on: March 01, 2012, 06:38:54 pm »

Yeah, I saw that situation with my wife's grandmother. My wife still says (without a trace of irony or guilt) that she stayed alive out of spite, just long enough to finish burning through all her money to make sure there was nothing left as an inheritance. It sounds incredibly bitter, but then you'd have to have known this woman...it's an entirely plausible theory.

We have an awkward societal situation where we have the technology to prolong someone's life by decades, but lack the maturity to recognize that in many cases we probably shouldn't:-\

At some point when I'm about 78, or perhaps when old and I feel myself going mentally, I fully intend to give a bullet a tour of my brain. :) This is my personal plan only.

I personally, as long as i'm compos mentis, want to live for a very long time. In my family, we often either suffer dementia at about 70-75 on one side, and others usually maintain completely sound minds until their death aged 90-95.
Out of my great-grandparents who lived/live and died during my lifetime:

One has severe senile dementia, age 89. First manifested in her 60s. Had a history of mental illness, and was in and out of institutions.
One remained entirely compos mentis until his death of a stroke age 92.
One is still alive, still has awareness and can enjoy life, age 92.
One was completely compos mentis until his death of mesothelioma age 80.
One was completely compos mentis until his death of lung cancer age 78.
One is still alive, completely compos mentis except is a little forgetful and sometimes lapses into her mater lingua.
The remaining two died in the 1960s, so I never met them.

I reckon I'm going to live a long time, but I agree with Truean- if I have no awareness, ie. Reudh is gone, then what is the point of living? You would be just a shell that lives in pain for the rest of its life.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #44121 on: March 01, 2012, 06:41:14 pm »

Casual hate: all the one night stands turn into holy acrimony
You are the best. That pun. Yes.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44122 on: March 01, 2012, 06:44:10 pm »

Somehow I made a Holocaust joke without thinking. That was terrible and now I feel like an evil terrible person. Seriously, just wrong.

"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44123 on: March 01, 2012, 06:44:28 pm »

Please don't quote me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44124 on: March 01, 2012, 06:58:27 pm »

Pretty much how I feel, yeah.

Of course, she's my mom so she's not happy about it.

I see she got a promotion?

Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #44125 on: March 01, 2012, 07:25:34 pm »

I personally, as long as i'm compos mentis, want to live for a very long time. In my family, we often either suffer dementia at about 70-75 on one side, and others usually maintain completely sound minds until their death aged 90-95.

On both sides of my family:  Men and women live strong and healthy well into their 90s, where at some point they suddenly slow down and fade out in a period of less than a month.  The only exceptions are those who lived very unhealthy lifestyles.  However... all the men, without exception, develop horrible alzheimers somewhere in their mid-70s.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #44126 on: March 01, 2012, 07:41:59 pm »

Eat turmeric every day. Can't hurt your chances, even if the evidence behind it is really really preliminary. Besides, curry is fucking amazing. Win/win.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44127 on: March 01, 2012, 07:47:03 pm »

The most ancient (genealogically) relative I had alive at the time of my birth was my great-great grandmother. She died age 92 in 1994. She was blind and spoke only dutch: so shortly after I was born my mother wrote a letter in english, gave it to my aunt who translated it into dutch. My mother also sent a lock of my first haircut, which apparently brought tears to Oma Peters' eyes (I suppose the tangibility of the new generation made her feel very happy).

My most ancient relative I had alive (chronologically) during my lifetime lived to be 92. Several lived into their late 90s, though, in the generation previous.

But our family are usually (with the exception of the prevalent mental illness) very hardy indeed. My great-grandfather who died of a stroke last year age 92 had had the following serious injuries:

Malaria when he fought in Borneo
Dysentery when he fought in Borneo
Was a POW of the Japanese
Back home in Australia, had broken an ankle while building a house, splinted it up and kept working, causing a life long crippling injury
Multiple severe heart attacks, pacemaker insertion
Multiple strokes ranging from mild to severe.

Similarly, my swedish great-great-grandfather was similarly hardy. In WWI he suffered multiple invaliding wounds:

Firstly, he was sent home with dysentery.
Once he'd recovered, he rejoined service with the Australian army and after a year in combat had the top of his skull blown off by a mortar. He was in a coma for a week in a field hospital while they inserted a metal plate- abruptly after the anaesthesia had worn off he sat bolt upright and asked for a cigar, which stunned the surgeons as they thought he was a goner.
Once he'd recovered from having his skull blown to pieces and replaced with a metal plate, he went back into service and got shot in the knee. This was a crippling injury that rendered his military career over.
He died aged 97. He had smoked proper tobacco his whole life, and never had a day of illness.

It makes me sad that in some families people don't even bother learning their family's history. Most people I know don't bother to trace back further than grandparents.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44128 on: March 01, 2012, 07:54:30 pm »

Man, the only thing interesting about my family tree is that it's full to the brim with murderers, drug addicts, train robbers, and mafiosos.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44129 on: March 01, 2012, 08:15:43 pm »

My family tree is rather hard to trace because there's too many dotted lines two or three generations back.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 2940 2941 [2942] 2943 2944 ... 8167