Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2939 2940 [2941] 2942 2943 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446145 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #44100 on: March 01, 2012, 03:38:29 pm »

Friend invited me to their birthday party.
They are also friends with the one person in this school who hates me with the burning passion of a thousand bonfires.

This may get awkward.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44101 on: March 01, 2012, 03:40:44 pm »

They are also friends with the one person in this school who hates me with the burning passion of a thousand bonfires.

This may get awkward.

I see opportunity.

Be overfriendly.

You either piss them off.

Or you become friends.

Win win.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #44102 on: March 01, 2012, 03:50:23 pm »

I guess no livestreaming, anyone got any good suggestions for stuff to do before I start head butting the wall?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44103 on: March 01, 2012, 03:58:33 pm »

This may get awkward.
It's still winter....I say see if you can use their rage as a space heater. If anyone protests, insist that you are trying to save the planet by using "green" rage-heat as an alternative energy source.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44104 on: March 01, 2012, 04:03:02 pm »

I really hate putting people in nursing homes/extended care. At some point you just have to more or less ignore them. Yeah, I know .... They don't wanna be there.... That's not really their choice. There really isn't a whole lot to be done once you're at the point of being committed. Same thing with them not being able to drive. Hell no, I'm not going to spend all damn day with them or even a significant part of the day (or rather they wouldn't pay me for that). Calling me 5 times a day isn't going to fix crap; neither would calling me 5000 times a day. Yes, you've lost your freedom to do whatever the hell you feel like; no, sorry, there's jack shit to be done about it.

With medicaid getting involved it's even worse, because the old people are of the false opinion that the government is stealing "their money" when a "spend down" happens. Fact is, nursing home care costs like $6K-$8K per month. They just don't have that, period. The government will pay your nursing home bills which can easily total several hundred thousand dollars and perhaps a million in the long run. They do require you to exhaust your assets in many cases first. Tell people this and they act like you're trying to skin them alive.... I didn't write the rules. I just have to play by them.

I'm actually exceedingly nice about all this, but wow is it exhausting. There's no solution in this problem that is acceptable to them, and that isn't my fault at all. Frankly, your medical cost has absolutely improvised you long past the practical point of bankruptcy and the nursing home won't operate for free. All those nurses, doctors, orderlies, the medical supplies, it all adds up and frankly ya can't afford it, but if you don't have it, then you'll die.... Rather than let that happen, the government will pay for it once you're out of any (exempt) assets.

[sigh]

It's kinda nuts. What do you do with these people? Shoving them somewhere and keeping them alive doesn't solve the problem of them having nothing but time on their hands and that they are probably bored out of their minds.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:06:37 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #44105 on: March 01, 2012, 04:09:42 pm »

nothing :O nothing ever makes me sad.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44106 on: March 01, 2012, 04:10:34 pm »

Yeah, I saw that situation with my wife's grandmother. My wife still says (without a trace of irony or guilt) that she stayed alive out of spite, just long enough to finish burning through all her money to make sure there was nothing left as an inheritance. It sounds incredibly bitter, but then you'd have to have known this woman...it's an entirely plausible theory.

We have an awkward societal situation where we have the technology to prolong someone's life by decades, but lack the maturity to recognize that in many cases we probably shouldn't:-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44107 on: March 01, 2012, 04:10:44 pm »

nothing :O nothing ever makes me sad.
You can do it like me and post stuff that made you mildly miffed instead.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44108 on: March 01, 2012, 04:14:21 pm »

Yeah, I saw that situation with my wife's grandmother. My wife still says (without a trace of irony or guilt) that she stayed alive out of spite, just long enough to finish burning through all her money to make sure there was nothing left as an inheritance. It sounds incredibly bitter, but then you'd have to have known this woman...it's an entirely plausible theory.

We have an awkward societal situation where we have the technology to prolong someone's life by decades, but lack the maturity to recognize that in many cases we probably shouldn't:-\

At some point when I'm about 78, or perhaps when old and I feel myself going mentally, I fully intend to give a bullet a tour of my brain. :) This is my personal plan only.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:17:13 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44109 on: March 01, 2012, 04:17:23 pm »

This may get awkward.

I'd say you're exaggerating. Kids even in highschool and college don't know what real anger, or what real hatred feels like. It is the cesspool of superficial emotion.

You're fine, go to the party.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44110 on: March 01, 2012, 04:18:39 pm »

Kids even in highschool and college don't know what real anger, or what real hatred feels like.
Orly.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44111 on: March 01, 2012, 04:20:06 pm »

Kids even in highschool and college don't know what real anger, or what real hatred feels like.
Orly.

I'm just waiting for someone to point at a corner case, where I can then promptly backpedal to say NORMAL people.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44112 on: March 01, 2012, 04:22:25 pm »

Nevermind then.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44113 on: March 01, 2012, 04:24:45 pm »

I'm just waiting for someone to point at a corner case, where I can then promptly backpedal to say NORMAL people.

Well if people made out of pure hate are not normal people, how the hell do you get normal people who hate? D:

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44114 on: March 01, 2012, 04:37:02 pm »

Sorry, I was just kind've flashing back to my days back in school, and how insignificant everything was, and how any friendship or enemy dissipated so easily.

Just ignore me.
Pages: 1 ... 2939 2940 [2941] 2942 2943 ... 8167