Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2915 2916 [2917] 2918 2919 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9457164 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #43740 on: February 23, 2012, 12:34:45 am »

Truean, I don't know if this is even legally possible for a lawyer, but have you ever considered...I don't know...screening your clients? You seem to get a larger-than-usual proportion of deadbeats that refuse to pay, unless these are just a tiny percentage and the only clients you bother to talk about.

Hell, you're probably the only lawyer I've ever felt sorry for (no offense).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43741 on: February 23, 2012, 12:40:06 am »

Well, I have moneys set aside specifically for my legal needs from my tax return. Otherwise, I'd be just as broke as the rest of the bums out there.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #43742 on: February 23, 2012, 12:56:45 am »

[Nods] Thank you Max, Salmon, Descan, Sirus.

Unfortunately "screening" means basically saying no which has two problems. Obviously, people don't get/buy the services they need. Second, especially in this economy, there are relatively few people who can pay.... Clients are harder to find. Third, the legal profession in the US is hurting in ways it never has (partners being laid off) and perhaps even dying, which is why none of you are to go to law school without talking to me directly first. Originally, the legal profession was divided in two: those who worked for the corporations and those who did not. The former were well taken care of. Then corporate cost cutting happened.... Yeah.... Did I mention law firms were needlessly and heavily invested in real estate/the stock market, which both crashed spectacularly. I pointed  out that law firms had no business in real estate and was softly chuckled at as a naive upstart who didn't know what he was talking about. Now, I make it a point to rub it in, relentlessly and long after the point of being asked to stop. "How are those real estate investments doing...?" <-- I ask this too much, because fuck the people who made this decision the entire profession is paying for.

Now slashed corporate budgets mean they're letting everyone go, including legal. Lowered incomes mean people can't afford lawyers. Corporations have decided not to.... No one is hiring, rather they are firing, this has never happened in the law before....

My old boss has given up and is basically waiting to die. Half his clients don't pay him and he won't let me go after them, because it'll raise his malpractice insurance. I do it anyhow when I can and dare him to fire me. He never seems to have a problem taking the money I get.... Not sure how much longer he'll hold out (in terms of him bothering to come to work). I'm looking into accepting credit cards to make this someone else's problem though.

Then of course if you work for the ultra rich you don't even know there's a recession going on, but how many of them do you think there are? Everyone has a penny, no one has a dollar....

People do not understand that being a lawyer is rarely glorious. You don't get to give speeches like on Law and Order, or Perry Mason, or whatever. You end up basically going through tons of books and papers and people don't understand what you do or why you do it. They think that because they told you something, you shouldn't have to spend time researching the facts. They forget the judge won't believe them, because the judge doesn't believe anyone/everybody lies to the judge.  I just have to laugh a little when they say things like "I'm innocent." Gee really, why didn't you say so? We'd have let you out 20 minutes ago.... Everybody in prison says "innocent....." Same thing with civil suits.... They don't get it/don't wanna get it. I'm the bastard telling them things they don't wanna hear, because doing otherwise would be a disservice.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:08:37 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43743 on: February 23, 2012, 01:15:36 am »

Turns out I did indeed have botulism. I feel horribly depleted, but after my immune system's amazing powers kicked in instead of feeling weak and ill I now just feel depleted.

I actually vomited so hard blood vessels in my eyes burst. I woke up this morning with a lovely red splotch all over the left half of my left eye.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43744 on: February 23, 2012, 01:19:08 am »

Turns out I did indeed have botulism. I feel horribly depleted, but after my immune system's amazing powers kicked in instead of feeling weak and ill I now just feel depleted.

I actually vomited so hard blood vessels in my eyes burst. I woke up this morning with a lovely red splotch all over the left half of my left eye.
Hurgh! Wow. Botulism is horrible. (As if you didn't know that.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43745 on: February 23, 2012, 01:45:17 am »

Anyone want to see a photo of my eye? :P

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43747 on: February 23, 2012, 01:50:40 am »

no
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 07:54:52 am by Reudh »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43748 on: February 23, 2012, 01:52:45 am »

Whoa... Hoping you get better, botulism is meant to be pretty serious, is it not?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43749 on: February 23, 2012, 02:06:52 am »

It can explode cans, but can it explode Reudh?
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43750 on: February 23, 2012, 02:11:08 am »

Wait, it is caused by a methanogenic bacteria? That would be... Interesting.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43751 on: February 23, 2012, 02:20:11 am »

I'm pretty much better, as I said, but for the horribly depleted feeling and the bloodshot eye.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43752 on: February 23, 2012, 03:07:36 am »

I've wasted all of my years.
Love, scriver~

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43753 on: February 23, 2012, 03:09:04 am »

You are 22... Go out and start enjoying yourself.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #43754 on: February 23, 2012, 03:29:04 am »

Whoa... Hoping you get better, botulism is meant to be pretty serious, is it not?
Considering it has a 60% mortality rate when left untreated, yeah, it's serious.
Pages: 1 ... 2915 2916 [2917] 2918 2919 ... 8167