Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2899 2900 [2901] 2902 2903 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9470685 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #43500 on: February 18, 2012, 07:51:02 pm »

Man I wouldn't know what to do without all my dairy. Good thing I consume it happily on a fairly regular basis?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43501 on: February 18, 2012, 07:52:17 pm »

I've got a lot of Southern European going on.  It's not all of Europe that plays well with milk, y'know...

And yeah, milk just doesn't work that well anymore.  I drank plenty of it for a very long time, but over the past while it's just become undrinkable (kind of like with eggs, I'll often just look at it and my body will say: 'no.'  This happens even with ice cream...).  I'll have a bit for a treat or in tea sometimes, but as an everyday thing I just can't.
So what do you make the rice pudding with that you're always saying you're going to eat?

You're Northern European, though... I've largely lost my ability to process milk happily =/
ah yes, the Northern europeans adapted to have lactase produced throughout their life in order to drink cow's milk (thank you, biology for teaching me that fact I thought I'd never use)
I still have no clue how this works, somehow natural selection somehow demanded we be able to drink milk to survive?

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #43502 on: February 18, 2012, 07:58:34 pm »

You're Northern European, though... I've largely lost my ability to process milk happily =/
ah yes, the Northern europeans adapted to have lactase produced throughout their life in order to drink cow's milk (thank you, biology for teaching me that fact I thought I'd never use)
I still have no clue how this works, somehow natural selection somehow demanded we be able to drink milk to survive?

Milk and milk products were a necessary part of the diet of northern European people due to the climate. Over time, the people who suffered from consuming milk products either had less food available or suffered from the reactions often enough to affect their breeding compared to those who could consume milk products without issue.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43503 on: February 18, 2012, 08:00:01 pm »

It was a lucky mutation, but yeah, people who could drink a lot of milk became stronger and survived better. Harsh times, you know, so those with the mutation bred more and became plentiful in the north.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43504 on: February 18, 2012, 08:00:49 pm »

Milk.  Then I spend a day belching uncomfortably.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43505 on: February 18, 2012, 08:20:13 pm »

So then how does the alcohol tolerance thing work? The gene for better alcohol tolerance presents itself more in countries which traditionally had stronger drinks, but why did their survival hinge so heavily on their ability to stomach those strong drinks?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43506 on: February 18, 2012, 08:21:21 pm »

Uh, because alcohol was actually a survival thing back then? Stronger drinks were more certain to kill whatever was in the water, so...

I guess, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43507 on: February 18, 2012, 08:21:31 pm »

No clean water.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43508 on: February 18, 2012, 08:24:37 pm »

Because loosing a Viking drinking contest would often end in a beheading the drinking water thing.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #43509 on: February 18, 2012, 08:26:47 pm »

I'm Southern European and I process milk just fine. I don't think intolerance is that frequent.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43510 on: February 18, 2012, 08:28:00 pm »

So then how does the alcohol tolerance thing work? The gene for better alcohol tolerance presents itself more in countries which traditionally had stronger drinks, but why did their survival hinge so heavily on their ability to stomach those strong drinks?

Besides the drinking water, it's likely that the people who didn't have high alcohol tolerances probably died for the same reason.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43511 on: February 18, 2012, 08:29:36 pm »

My genetic background is central European and Eurasian. I drink milk then go for a run in the hot sun and don't give a damn.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43512 on: February 18, 2012, 08:42:44 pm »

I've got all kinds of Laplander herding culture in my heritage... dairy, mushrooms, smoked meat and fish, berries, etc.

For living in a glorified swamp, the Finns/Sami ate well.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43513 on: February 18, 2012, 08:52:49 pm »

someone of facebook posed a status asking what
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1*0 was,
then there was a long fight in the comments about how some people said it was 0 and anyone who thought otherwise was stupid,  a small handful of people said 13, someone said 5, and all sorts of other answers.
(the correct answer is 13)
it makes me sad how stupid people are.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43514 on: February 18, 2012, 08:55:37 pm »

Tell them to look up order of operation and then do it right.
I'm sorry Valid, but I think your friends are retarded.
Pages: 1 ... 2899 2900 [2901] 2902 2903 ... 8167