Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2881 2882 [2883] 2884 2885 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9424242 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #43230 on: February 11, 2012, 02:07:15 pm »

Blackmage...

chill.  I'm pretty sure he was joking.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #43231 on: February 11, 2012, 02:32:50 pm »

Wife has been near paralyzed since Tuesday due to mysterious back problems that have sprung up suddenly on four separate occasions in the last five years.  Doctor said this time that he suspects something like a slipped disc.  Missed four unpaid days of work being the only functional adult.  She can finally get around a little bit and my family is more able to help out with the kids on the weekend, so I'm back at work today.  Sadly, I think work is still worse.  Now to deal with HR in getting FMLA approval...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43232 on: February 11, 2012, 02:48:38 pm »

Reading The Bell Jar has re-triggered the mindset of some of my worse depression, and I now can't think straight and am stressed out of my gourd.  I can't call my mom up because she'll just tell me to run around the block instead of actually listening to me.

I feel crazy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43233 on: February 11, 2012, 02:50:50 pm »

He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43234 on: February 11, 2012, 02:53:19 pm »

I'm reading a book (To eventually do a report on) for a class on the challenges of technology, called Sleeping with Extraterrestrials.  It's about how people are valuing faith and unverifiable testimony (Especially pop mystics, past life regression, the whole "hypnotize the kid and suddenly he remembers being molested by a dozen different people" thing that was big for a while, etc.) over fact.

Quote from: The first sentence of the book
Before I begin my critique of irrationalism, I have a confession to make:  I go to a homeopath

oh jeez

Shoes...

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43235 on: February 11, 2012, 02:55:35 pm »

Blackmage...

chill.  I'm pretty sure he was joking.
Some people are serious about that stuff though. And he might've meant it as a joke, but that doesn't mean Heliman has to take it as a joke.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43236 on: February 11, 2012, 02:56:46 pm »

Reading The Bell Jar has re-triggered the mindset of some of my worse depression, and I now can't think straight and am stressed out of my gourd.  I can't call my mom up because she'll just tell me to run around the block instead of actually listening to me.

I feel crazy.

well it is a depressing book,
I never enjoyed it, I personally feel it's not very well written.
Sylvia Plath is a much better poet than she is a writer
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43237 on: February 11, 2012, 03:03:36 pm »

It's accurate enough to what I experienced to send me back under, is the problem.

EDIT: Well, I'm completely fucked.  My to-do list is 20 items long and most of it is stuff I'm behind on or things due at the beginning of next week.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:49:21 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43238 on: February 11, 2012, 06:00:48 pm »

Sounds like its Triage time. Ditch the stressing, and just keep doing what you can to tackle the most important things. You can fuss over the other bits as you can. Good luck!

I spent some time doing my civic duty to get educated regarding the upcoming American election. Without TV, I've been a bit out of the loop, regarding following debates, etc... which I feel I've somewhat resolved. Also, though I'm once again unsure how I feel about Ron Paul, I'm finding the whole Media Blackout on him more than a bit troubling... in fact, it bothers me a lot.

Jon Stewart, for all his foibles, did a damned good spot on this. Ignore the sensationalist title of the Youtube video, and give it a watch if you care to... it's pretty ridiculous, and heaps ever more doubt onto the paper-thin integrity of our available national news services. I'm pretty cynical, and even I find it hard to believe.

EDIT: Stance notwithstanding, I'm glad to see the audience was able to override CNN's repeat skipping of his chance to answer questions.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:09:22 pm by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43239 on: February 11, 2012, 06:19:26 pm »

Well, I took a walk and then called my mum up to cry at her about The Bell Jar for about half an hour.  She offered to drive over and sit with me while I finish reading the last ~80 pages of the book, and told me to go get myself some kind of treat ;_;  Good mom, best friend.  I'm calling her again in 3 hours or so.  She and my dad were going to come visit me tomorrow anyway, so I'll finish reading it then.  Today I'm just going to keep working, because that will help me out.

Oh, and I also dumped Squidhead, which is making me feel a lot better already.  Things had really gotten to the point where spending more time with him was just going to be a miserable exercise in pretense.

Now I'm going to ask for help online with some of the compsci problems I can't solve, do reading/watching of webcasts, take notes on my complex analysis textbook, and so on and so forth, moving back on forth between these various activities so I don't feel too bogged down.

I'm going to be okay, I think.  Just have to keep on plugging.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #43240 on: February 11, 2012, 07:38:51 pm »

Plugging is good.

The only advice I can give you is "one less." That's what I tell myself when I invariably ask "how many more pages do I have?"

[hug]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43241 on: February 11, 2012, 07:42:23 pm »

Dog isn't feeling so good today, has thrown up a few times and was walking funny. He went to the vet, and mom confided in me that there's a chance he will have to be put down.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #43242 on: February 11, 2012, 08:16:19 pm »

I just can't seem to get down and work today.  I have a ton of homework to do, but I just can't seem to get going...

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43243 on: February 11, 2012, 08:25:09 pm »

Whitney Houston died D:
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43244 on: February 11, 2012, 08:32:25 pm »

That name... almost sounds familiar. Who is that, again?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 2881 2882 [2883] 2884 2885 ... 8167