Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2872 2873 [2874] 2875 2876 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9434405 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #43095 on: February 08, 2012, 03:03:54 pm »

When did HOA turn into the mafia.

Seriously, I have never seen one that was not a pack of assholes.
Well they started harping me when I let the grass died for a month in the front yard. Told them their names aren't on my title and made no agreement with them. Told me they can fine me, told them they try and I will burn the grass on "accident"
That seem to work

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #43096 on: February 08, 2012, 03:53:31 pm »

Truean: I swear, your clients (not all of them, I realize) seem to think law firms are glorified convenience stores. I'd almost expect them to ask "Can I upsize that to a large tort with a side of injunction?"

You sir are extremely close to being sigged. :D

well if the neighborhood he bought a house in was part of a HOA, isn't there nothing you could have done to get him out of the HOA?
I always thought if a neighrborhood has a HOA, and you want to live in that neighborhood, you have to pay the HOA. are you saying there is a way around that ?

The issue isn't getting around the HOA. The issue is, he had no, no, idea there even IS a homeowner's association. He didn't know it existed at all, wasn't expecting to pay dues to anyone, or be told he couldn't do what he wanted with his house.

Think of it like a housing/building inspection you get before buying the house. Only instead of inspecting physical stuff--the roof, plumbing, sewer, electrical, or foundation--I'm inspecting the legal stuff and picking up the things, like an HOA, that the title company doesn't find/doesn't consider a problem. The sewer inspection won't tell you about problems with the roof and the title company won't tell you about the HOA. I will.

So what good does knowing there's an HOA on the home you're buying do for you? Same thing as having an inspector tell you the foundation needs work, you either need to negotiate the buying price down to cover the defect or not buy the house. If you don't know that there is a physical or legal issue with the house, then you'll figure it out when the bill to deal with it comes later. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....

In short, not paying a lawyer to look at the title and purchase paperwork is like buying a house without getting a building inspection done: risky. What you don't know can hurt you and can really hurt your pocketbook/rights when it comes time to deal with it later.

***I have a retired client who cuts across his neighbor's yard while giving him the bird every single day on his way to the park because he has an easement letting him. The easement cannot be blocked or anything even.... He has the legal right to walk across the land to get to the park....  ***

Like a lot of things, they started out sane. It's a pain in the ass if my neighbor paints his house the ugliest color of vomit neon green with a blood red boarder trim and the guy next to him has a smurf blue house with the garage door painted yellow. Then they get like three of these prebuilt storage sheds from home depot and put them next to each other but they can't put them RIGHT NEXT TO each other, because they have little roof overhangs.... This means there is about 6 inches between them with grass that never gets cut sticking out. Plus, they just throw all their shit in that little space/black hole and raccoons/rats/vermin just love it in there.  Never mind the guy with the effectively abandoned house next door who claims it is a "rental" but nobody's lived there for months and I haven't even seen a car in the driveway or a light on in 3 years, so the whole building/zoning/safety code violation ridden place is going to rot.

Technically the zoning, building, and/or health boards should do something about it, but meh.... We're in a budget crunch and nobody cares/has the money to pay enforcement personelle and/or gives enough of a shit to do anything. Now, I know the ins and outs of the system to get on these people/how to make them give a shit SOMETIMES, but there's often jack shit you can do.

Has it gone too far? Yes. Is it all bad? Not necessarily.

Well they started harping me when I let the grass died for a month in the front yard. Told them their names aren't on my title and made no agreement with them. Told me they can fine me, told them they try and I will burn the grass on "accident"
That seem to work

Careful dude. While admittedly funny as hell, that can come back to bite you. Namely, if the HOA is smart/ruthless and has a lawyer who is partially sober and pissed off, then they might take affidavits from the people who heard you say you'd burn down the grass on accident. Then, they show said affidavit to your insurance company/use it in the suit to fine you.

I ended up doing that with some jerk who threatened to flood his condo over something similar after he too cussed me out on his doorstep. Incidentally, he had water damage to his unit a few months later and a very inquisitive insurance inspector with affidavits from three people saying they heard him threaten to flood the place. He ended up getting paid eventually, but not before they took their time investigating the crap out of everything. He won't look at me to this day.

Now, I don't mean to say you'd actually burn things or whatever and I imagine your HOA might not even have a lawyer or know its head from its ass. Just trying to look out....

Truean: I swear, your clients (not all of them, I realize) seem to think law firms are glorified convenience stores. I'd almost expect them to ask "Can I upsize that to a large tort with a side of injunction?"
To tell the truth, I get that sense with a lot of people regarding a lot of businesses. Instant gratification, smiling service, low prices, and God help you if you don't meet all three of those expectations, and throw in a free coupon while you're at it. I'll admit to falling into this trap a few times, myself, but usually I have the decency to just decide I don't need the service after all and deal with the consequences rather than insist I was entitled to it despite refusing it.

Sadly yes. They want it yesterday, beyond perfect, to have their hand held through everything, to do any stupid thing that they feel like doing, to make the other side suffer, and not to pay for anything.

Given the choice between consumers and zombies, I'd gladly take the zombies. While both of them want to devour you whole, You're allowed and expected to shoot one of them in the head.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:11:08 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43097 on: February 08, 2012, 03:55:50 pm »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43098 on: February 08, 2012, 03:59:12 pm »

Besides, you can generally out-run a zombie better than an obstinate customer.

There is some overlap of fast zombies, and lazy customers, so check with your local universes Rules of Undeath before applying this advice.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43099 on: February 08, 2012, 05:46:46 pm »

So the mayor of the city I attend college in is a complete, total and utter tooooooool. Basically the city was in lockdown for about three days because of a foot of snow (coastal city). It's melted mostly but the sidewalks still have a bunch of ice patches on them. About 600 people ended up hospitalized because of fall injuries. There was a conference and he basically claimed it was not his fault it snowed so suddenly (it was forecasted a week earlier) and that it wasn't his fault the goverment made snow shovels and winter boots so expensive.

Then, I'm not sure if this was the same conference a claim was made about someone not attending school or finishing it or something in that context, and he replied with something that went kind of like this :"They didn't finish school? So what, I didn't finish any either, and look at me, I am a mayor."

I just.....
*sigh*

Oh and to boot there was a notice on the college site today about those practical jobs and stuff studends get, you know the kind, other country, some company, you work as a help for the summer, get a place to stay, maybe even get paid, meet people, get some actually useful skills.
Anyways, a list of countries was out today, China, India, UK, Belgium, Austria, Poland, Brasil and Argentina.
Now, I almost jumped with excitement (never mind that I don't get to apply for this until next year, or that the positions are very limited, or that it is very unlikely that I would get in) as I would finally get something powerful enough to motivate me to actually give a damn about college and studying.
Then I read which college gets what, and my college (more accurately my proffesion, Electrical engineering) gets Germany (not that it's bad, I just don't consider it that great or interestng) while Computer engineering (the one that I initially chose and applied to but due to pressure from my dad switched out of to something that was more demanded in these parts) gets Belgium, Argentina, Spain, Austria, Poland and Germany.

I just feel like I've been trolled by life so hard I'm still in denial about it :I
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43100 on: February 08, 2012, 05:50:29 pm »

Thanks Truean, no i doubt they got their lawyers and they can't stick anything to me as our state laws can allow me to do what i want to my property, and who says i'll even file a claim? I'll burn it, cover it with rocks and buy some iguanas, theres your landscape out here you freaks.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43101 on: February 08, 2012, 06:29:52 pm »

Oh hey

So I'm in pain =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43102 on: February 08, 2012, 06:30:34 pm »

No pain for you! Only massages!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43103 on: February 08, 2012, 06:36:01 pm »

You and me, Zero. We're gonna massage that damn pain away!

* Descan high fives MaximumZero.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43104 on: February 08, 2012, 06:37:35 pm »

Wait, are we both going to get beaten for trying to touch Vector, or is this turning into a conga line?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43105 on: February 08, 2012, 06:38:45 pm »

Truean, sad thread or not, your rants about stupid people with the law could be the makings of a great blog. I get a kick out of every story you have.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43106 on: February 08, 2012, 06:41:07 pm »

Wait, are we both going to get beaten for trying to touch Vector, or is this turning into a conga line?
Vector do you need my bug-be-gone stick?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43107 on: February 08, 2012, 06:44:17 pm »

Hey, I'm just trying to get a kendo duel out of this, at best. :P

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #43108 on: February 08, 2012, 07:11:11 pm »

Next on my list of things that are making me sad for no rational reason: I had the random thought that I should stop and get a pizza on the way home from work. Then I realize that I rode my bike to work today.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43109 on: February 08, 2012, 07:12:33 pm »

... why would that stop you from getting pizza on the way back?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 2872 2873 [2874] 2875 2876 ... 8167