Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2848 2849 [2850] 2851 2852 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429348 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #42735 on: January 31, 2012, 01:02:33 pm »

Well part of it's the breathing I hear, something about not fully exhaling to keep some air in your lungs to maintain buoyancy and shaping your hands to try to maximize water resistance on the downstroke while minimizing it on the upstroke.

At least that seems about right... once you know how to swim it kinda doesn't cross your mind how it happens, it just kinda happens. :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 01:04:24 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42736 on: January 31, 2012, 01:09:04 pm »

Kinda', uh, depends on how you swim. Maybe? I guess. I can't tread water at all, or doggy paddle, but I can move pretty well underwater and semi-decently with that overhand stroke... thing. You don't necessarily have to be able to float to be able to move around/breach water long enough for some air, basically. S'just less tiring if you can tread or float, instead of bobbing up and down :P

Anyone can deadman float and then spin over on their back, get some air that way. Unless they're completely out of air, I guess...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42737 on: January 31, 2012, 01:17:15 pm »

It's funny, I can't swim well at all, but I used to at least be able to float easily enough that it didn't matter.  But then again, I used to weigh 300lbs.  Cut to me losing 140lbs. and now I don't float all that well at all anymore.

It's pretty amazing.  I used to think people exaggerated how much effect being fat had on temperature resistance and the ability to float, but they weren't kidding.  I can't stand being cold anymore, whereas I used to think skinny people were just pansies.

As for something sad: got a fair bit of homework to do and I haven't made much progress on it.  Got a lot of research to do, and haven't made much progress on it.  Still have a video game I got for Christmas... haven't even started it.  Got a comic I've been drawing... haven't worked on it in a week.  Got a community fort I run... haven't updated in a week.

Pretty depressing when I start to wonder just what I'm doing all day instead of everything I should be doing.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #42738 on: January 31, 2012, 01:19:38 pm »

I'm immensily tired because of long schoolday. Why everything had to be placed on tuesdays I'll never know.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42739 on: January 31, 2012, 01:37:55 pm »

I'm still waiting for the person in charge to reply about allowing me to help out in New York. My sister knows this person incredibly well and stated that I would get in no problem, but this person is currently in Korea and is taking a while to reply to requests. For now I'm stuck in this limbo of waiting for the day when this begins. I can't start up anything long-term because I just don't know when I'll have to leave for unstable internet access.

Looking forward to it, but the situation is leaving me restless.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #42740 on: January 31, 2012, 01:47:46 pm »

Why does no one listen to me...?

This guy wants to start a branch of a church that is separate from the main. You have to be a "non profit" to not pay taxes on a state level and "tax exempt" at the federal for the IRS. You have to do both to not pay taxes like he wants and he won't listen to me. He needs an Employer Identification Number (EIN). Second, to be recognized as exempt under section 501(a), most organizations must file an application for recognition of exemption with the IRS. Most organizations applying for exemption under section 501(a) (other than section 501(c)(3)) use Form 1024.

I'm giving him detailed, step by step of the process, but he still doesn't wanna listen.

It's the IRS, man; you don't argue with them! They're nuts and they don't have to care. Gah....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42741 on: January 31, 2012, 01:57:55 pm »

Well part of it's the breathing I hear, something about not fully exhaling to keep some air in your lungs to maintain buoyancy and shaping your hands to try to maximize water resistance on the downstroke while minimizing it on the upstroke.

That's part of the problem. Because of my pectus excavatum, my lung capacity is like half of what it should be (and until the last couple of years, I had like zero body fat). I've tried completely filling my lungs, holding my breath and going limp to do the deadman float. I *still* sink like a rock. If sinking were an Olympic event, I would be a three-time gold medalist.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42742 on: January 31, 2012, 02:00:28 pm »

That's part of the problem. Because of my pectus excavatum, my lung capacity is like half of what it should be (and until the last couple of years, I had like zero body fat). I've tried completely filling my lungs, holding my breath and going limp to do the deadman float. I *still* sink like a rock. If sinking were an Olympic event, I would be a three-time gold medalist.

I'll buy you a pair of arm floaties RedKing.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42743 on: January 31, 2012, 02:04:16 pm »

You could try a diver's buoyancy vest. It'll look a little silly, but less silly than floaties.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42744 on: January 31, 2012, 02:07:00 pm »

Y'know....I don't know why I've never thought of this before, but I should stick a pair of arm floaties in the glove compartment or something, just in case I ever drive off a bridge.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42745 on: January 31, 2012, 02:12:00 pm »

* Pictures RedKing sitting in a sinking car, desperately trying to inflate his floaties.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42746 on: January 31, 2012, 02:32:53 pm »

Would I be a terrible person if I laughed at that mental image?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42747 on: January 31, 2012, 02:38:58 pm »

Ehn, just keep a vest or somethin' in the back seat or under the seat or whatever. Something that floats without needing to be inflated, heh. I'd probably do that m'self if the rivers around here weren't so damn low you can walk across some of them :-\

Would I be a terrible person if I laughed at that mental image?
Yup. S'gallows humor, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42748 on: January 31, 2012, 02:39:03 pm »

Stupid real.  Having all of these responsibilities is depressing.  How do people go through life like this, grounded in reality during the week and desperately avoiding life on the weekends.  At least that's what I feel like I'm doing.  I feel inadequate while being productive and feel worthless when not.  My entire real career is a hoax.  I'm doing this as a front, a facade because it is what I am suppose to do.  The one topic people near me are proud of is the very thing I don't ever want to be.  I am not a compassionate student.  I am not a smart person.  I am confused and lost and everything hurts.  My third week is on-going currently for my second semester of college and while it is a completely different setting I am also managing myself quite well given who I was before.
Of course, on the first day I was nervous and stairs were hell because my legs shake under stress.  But after that my stomach was fine and there is no issue.  It is nothing.  I just now finished yet another English assignment, looked over some scholarships due next month, and now I plan to purchase a 99 cent drink at the store and study for the next Calculus II quiz.  But...there's nothing here.  I hate this.  I am just moving along doing things I don't even care about.
I wake up this morning.  It is painful.  I am not being hurt, but it is painful.  Oh great, another day to deal with.  There is very little to look forward to.  I amuse myself by being a cowardly dick (in my head) and trying desperately, anything to stimulate my mind in this dull, dull daily routine.  At least in my free time I am able to forget.  Completely ignore everything around me and absorb myself in what is wrong, what is incorrect, what is wasteful, weak, pathetic, pitiful.  I hold only disdain for myself and it is depressing.
Everybody around me is hurting.  My Father has not seen his daughter in months.  He calls me and it hurts.  It hurts a lot but I can't say anything.  I am going to go over his house (he's at his parents now) just to be around him.  It is my responsibility to seem him at least once a month.  I will need to bring my school work.
My parents, my Mom and Step-Dad hate each other.  I wake up to their screaming.  They lie and doubt each other, money is stolen.  Money is evil.  I live at my Grandmother's with them.  I get so mad at them for being so immature but I say nothing because I am weak.
My brother, my brother is sad and apathetic.  He's missed school this whole week so far, not moving from his bed.  In the morning I hear my Mother try to wake him up, he doesn't even respond.  Not a word.  All he does is curl up in his blanket further.  Hiding form the real.  When he is awake he responds to my greetings with groans and grunts.
Why is it like this.  Why must I feel uncomfortable and sad.  This is pathetic.
This summer I plan to work with my step-Dad at his job.  It's just manual labor but I won't have anything to do this summer anyway.  Just...hiding.  I am also going to get my Driver's license.  I applied for Work-Study for next semester too.  So I can work even more like this.
Yesterday before Spanish my closest friend in college right now made the observation that I am "always pissed off and lethargic".  He has known me since High School so I guess this was bound to happen I guess.  It's crazy how nice people are to me.  Is this just for public appearance or are they generally nice people or do they feel pity for me?  I can't imagine why anybody would.  I'm not even a nice person.  I'm just a coward who's afraid of being hurt.  I can't help but be hurt.  It's so sad.  Why is this so sad.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42749 on: January 31, 2012, 02:46:46 pm »

Toony, as you've probably figured out by now, I feel like that a lot.  I can't give you any advice or anything, but I wish you luck.  Let's keep trying.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 2848 2849 [2850] 2851 2852 ... 8167