Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2846 2847 [2848] 2849 2850 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429320 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #42705 on: January 31, 2012, 12:58:54 am »

It smells like life outside tonight. That weird intermingling of spring and winter that manages to trigger nostalgia for both. It's far too early in the year for that. Besides that, it makes me feel a longing for a simpler life, like maybe the idealized past wasn't so idealized, or maybe the hundreds of people who'd have to toil to give me an easy life then would be worth it, just to have the crushing weight of the world I live in now gone. I hate thoughts like that. Shortsighted, selfish, weak, pretty much everything I don't want to be is what those thoughts are. And I don't want to feel torn between an ideal world that never existed, and the world I want to help make this one into in whatever small ways I can.

So yeah, I'm feeling apparently really angsty tonight for some reason? Blah.

Also, whoever invented ampoules: I hate you, you jerk/clever engineer. Filter needles annoy me.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42706 on: January 31, 2012, 02:07:51 am »

Now I know why it just kept going, and it breaks my heart...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:'(  :'(
Dammit man, don't show stuff like that.
Opportunity is of course still going, gotta love that optimism.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42707 on: January 31, 2012, 02:11:58 am »

I missed a coach because I read the ticket wrong. I arrived 10 minutes after it had left, and now I am stranded at the terminal overnight! I feel like such a loser.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42708 on: January 31, 2012, 02:21:37 am »

Na, I've missed the bus and found myself stranded lots of times, and I'm awesome.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #42709 on: January 31, 2012, 02:25:52 am »

Truean, haters gonna hate. I'm going to pull an Ashitaka here, and say that there's no need to be angry.

From your perspective, you have accomplished a task above and beyond all expectations, and have done so according to the laws of the land.

From their perspective, they likely don't know anything about how this system works, and probably just really wants the money she thought she won instantly.

Now, you should get paid for your work, and handsomely at that. Just keep in mind that not everyone knows how the law works. Ignorance isn't necessarily malice. I don't have all the facts on the situation, but I recommend explaining to her what an IOLTA is and why things have to be done that way. She'll probably calm down a bit after that, considering that she's probably (mistakenly) angry about you withholding their money from them.

On the other hand, she may just be a terrible person.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42710 on: January 31, 2012, 02:26:46 am »

Na, I've missed the bus and found myself stranded lots of times, and I'm awesome.
Oh, Max, you are so clever.

EDIT: Truean, your story trumps mine. I do hope things get better for you.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:28:49 am by Flandre »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42711 on: January 31, 2012, 02:28:43 am »

:P Sorry.
Still, you sure the bus terminal is safe at night?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42712 on: January 31, 2012, 02:33:30 am »

I feel like shit today. It's hard to breathe, painful to cough and I feel like I'm going to overheat.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42713 on: January 31, 2012, 02:36:09 am »

Yes. The security guard was nice, and allowed me to stay inside the locked terminal until it opened again, I am probably going to power through until 5AM or so, and sleep once I board. What was nice is that the bus I missed would have taken twice as long to reach my destination as the one I am getting on, so the arrival time for both are the same!

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42714 on: January 31, 2012, 02:36:49 am »

I feel like shit today. It's hard to breathe, painful to cough and I feel like I'm going to overheat.
Have you considered seeing a doctor? That sounds dreadful.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42715 on: January 31, 2012, 02:41:41 am »

Yes. The security guard was nice, and allowed me to stay inside the locked terminal until it opened again, I am probably going to power through until 5AM or so, and sleep once I board. What was nice is that the bus I missed would have taken twice as long to reach my destination as the one I am getting on, so the arrival time for both are the same!
Hmm, sounds like a rather long trip...

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42716 on: January 31, 2012, 02:45:24 am »

Hmm, sounds like a rather long trip...
Strangely, no. Literally, it is only one state over.
EDIT: To be specific, it is a Virginia-North Carolina transit. The last time I flew this trip, I connected in DC! I'll take the bus, most definitely. Please, and thank you.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:48:33 am by Flandre »

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #42717 on: January 31, 2012, 02:48:13 am »

I know I need to get some sleep, but seriously I just don't want to :/

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #42718 on: January 31, 2012, 02:55:16 am »

At first I thought I was working hard but later in my shift I realised it was taking longer than it should. It took twice as long to complete my portion of the work as I had been given. The same happened last Monday and now the top boss in my store is angry with me. Hopefully my reputation as a hard worker will help but they are worried this is going to become a common occurrence.

I feel lucky to have a job given the problems I've seen others have. Despite this I don't feel a great urge to work even harder and prove that I deserve it. This was supposed to be a stopgap while I figure out my next step but it's turned into a dead end. Frustration: I need to sort things out but know I likely wont. I've managed to lose contact with the people who would be calling me out on this. It's exactly why I was so awkward when my Granddad came to visit last month; He's the only person who expresses the desire to see me do more than stack shelves.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42719 on: January 31, 2012, 02:58:18 am »

Vattic, I am fairly sure you'll find what is right for you with or without that job. Your granddad has it right.
Pages: 1 ... 2846 2847 [2848] 2849 2850 ... 8167