Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2845 2846 [2847] 2848 2849 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429700 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #42690 on: January 30, 2012, 12:47:30 pm »

Thats just it, even us mature, well educated and intelligent guys still have that 13 year old twerp inside them who is screaming things like "dont touch my legos!" and "you smell". Some of us keep it in check more than others though. My own peeve today follows...

Me: "Right class, today is the deadline for your research to be in. Get it out in front of you while I give out the question to answer based on it..."
Small number of students: "Didnt you set that for Wednesday?"
Me: "No. You know we never have sessions on Wednesday."
Larger number of students: *noise of jumping on bandwagon*
Me: "STFU. You are doing it anyway. Even if I gave you 2 more days I doubt you would do the research you have had almost 2 weeks to do anyway."

Took under an hour for the first phonecalled complaint.
This is a blank sig.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42691 on: January 30, 2012, 01:17:10 pm »

Perhaps the generally accepted conventions are different than you first assumed, Vector!

Join them in the dark side of classroom behavior, or wither away as it basks you in its unholy glory.

Look, I just... ugh.  I thought we were past the stupid dominance rituals and generally gross behavior.

Take a look at the Republican primaries. Some people are NEVER past it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #42692 on: January 30, 2012, 01:26:26 pm »

Perhaps the generally accepted conventions are different than you first assumed, Vector!

Join them in the dark side of classroom behavior, or wither away as it basks you in its unholy glory.

Look, I just... ugh.  I thought we were past the stupid dominance rituals and generally gross behavior.

Take a look at the Republican primaries. Some people are NEVER past it.

Unfortunately that shit never ends. I've pretty much just learned to ignore it for the most part, and when possible be an ass to those who partake in them. Usually the being an ass should be about an unrelated subject, or else they'll turn it around on you with a "that's what she said," or similar stupidity.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #42693 on: January 30, 2012, 01:42:05 pm »

While it can definitely be too much, it's also rather natural for guys to be 'dick-fencing'. I am really chill and just go along with whatever in most cases, but some few people make me want to go against them every step they take for sometimes no reasons at all. It's just instinct, I can ignore it or I can be true to myself in these cases.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42694 on: January 30, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »

I once thought as you do. But... nope. Never stops. Don't look forward to a time when you'll never have to put up with it - won't happen. Better to seek out people who don't make you put up with it right now. They're not likely to start, and this seems to me to be one thing that is constant across any given individual's life, but not across the population entirely.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42695 on: January 30, 2012, 02:59:02 pm »

I don't suppose there's any way I could spy in on this forum? I'm guessing it's probably closed to the public, but I would love the opportunity to observe masculus compscientia in its natural environment.

I've already got some names picked out.

I'm not sure what we'd call the alpha male (the teacher) though...

EDIT: Wait, I know!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:03:36 pm by Pnx »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42696 on: January 30, 2012, 03:08:43 pm »

So, Psych appointment this morning.

I've spent the last ten days with all this angry, pent up energy while managing to be incredibly depressed to the point of strongly wanting to kill myself. It's been bad before, I've had much worse bouts of depression, but it's never been quite like this. I've never been so.. high strung, so angrily depressed, to my knowledge.

I suspect my medication may not be working well on me. I brought notes I've been taking over the last month, as well as graphs that I created illustrating various correlations I recorded over the observation period. My psychiatrist seems surprised by this for some reason - is there a valid method of psychological diagnosis and treatment that isn't improved by better data quality? How is this not standard in the industry? There is an entire web industry dedicated to working with doctors to track this shit and provide better care feedback, and she was completely oblivious to this fact. (I only discovered it because if it didn't exist I was going to fucking build it). I'm well aware my memory is shit - its bad enough they constantly asking me annoying and impossible to answer questions like "how did you feel last week" which really can't be adequately answered within the framework they provide without additional context or qualifications, but the fact that they seem so... disinterested in accumulating data that's more reliable is a real blow to my confidence.

It doesn't help that the last week and a half were perhaps some of the worst days of my life.

SO, against this backdrop, I went in today to request stopping or switching my medication.

They responded by doubling my dose and assuring me this was the correct course of action.

Okay, MAYBE it's a coincidence. I'm willing to go along with this, just to collect more data. But it honestly seems like a terrible fucking idea to me. If I have a week worse than my last one, I honestly can't see myself managing to keep my job. :/

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #42697 on: January 30, 2012, 03:09:24 pm »

I've explained to a client what an IOLTA (Interest Only Lawyer's Trust Account) is and that I have to put the money I've gotten for her in there. She's fucking not having it (or trying not to). Dude, the State doesn't care that you want it now and therefore neither can I. Lawyers commingling client funds with their own funds is a huge problem. If you're off by as much as $0.10, the state will call you on the carpet and audit the whole fucking thing. It's the number two or three cause of disbarment in Ohio. I don't need that shit. We're keeping this above board, period.

I'm trying to get her to fucking talk to me and she's just not having it. The fuck? I won the suit for you and you're getting paid; the hell don't you trust me for? Just shut the hell up and let me fix whatever's wrong. Is your landlord after you for rent? I assure you that a letter from me with a copy of the judgment entry saying you won suit and proof that I've collected and have way more money in the bank for you than he needs will convince him to bugger off. I've done it before; I'm certain I'll do it again. Something else? I'm sure I can work it out. You do have to fucking talk to me though (not yell at) and let me guide the conversation rather than you ranting. Being reasonable also helps.  There's a fucking process to this and if you follow it, then it works. If you don't follow it, then nothing works. Simple. You don't get a say in this, fuck off; we're following the regulations on it.

Yes, they gave me your money to hold onto from the suit I won. No, I can't spend it or keep it myself; if I do, then I'm disbarred. No, you cannot have it immediately, and you should be grateful I got it this quickly (usually I have to garnish wages or levy). Yes, you will get it once all the Is, Ts, and Xs are dotted and crossed respectively.

The fuck? I won and you're getting paid, but you're still bitching my ear off? I just.... Wow, what the hell is good enough? No one is ever fucking happy no matter what I do or how well I do it. You simple minded asshole. You went to three other lawyers before me who wouldn't even take your case, because they said you didn't have a case. I took it, won it and collected on it in under a year. Three other lawyers told you it was impossible to win and wouldn't waste the court's fucking time with it and I won it.... The hell does she not get about this? I'd like a "thank you" instead of screaming.

I get the feeling she's going to try and not pay me.... As I look at the next student loan payment I can barely afford, I swear I'll make her life a living hell if she does, especially given that there's far more than enough to pay me in the money I'm holding for her. I really, grow to hate people more and more....

And if I hear this one more time:
"What do you call one lawyer at the bottom of Lake Erie? A good start."
My response will be:
"What do you call a criminal defense lawyer who kicks your ass? Acquitted."

Gah! Really? Even when I win the impossible lawsuits and collect on them? Really? Still not good enough? [shudder]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42698 on: January 30, 2012, 05:02:28 pm »

Unfortunately that shit never ends. I've pretty much just learned to ignore it for the most part, and when possible be an ass to those who partake in them. Usually the being an ass should be about an unrelated subject, or else they'll turn it around on you with a "that's what she said," or similar stupidity.
Hey now! A proper "that's what she said" is an art!
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42699 on: January 30, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »

"What do you call a criminal defense lawyer who can kick your ass and get away with it? This one right here. *thumbs toward self*"

You'll probably have to dumb it down a bit, from what I gather.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42700 on: January 30, 2012, 05:59:17 pm »

RIP Dr Breen. One by one the links to my past are dropping away.
This is a blank sig.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42701 on: January 30, 2012, 08:33:57 pm »

I'm sad I can't play apb anymore. I'm getting this weird but unhealthy competitive urge again and down this road lies me raging like a 5 year old.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42702 on: January 30, 2012, 08:42:16 pm »

I don't suppose there's any way I could spy in on this forum? I'm guessing it's probably closed to the public, but I would love the opportunity to observe masculus compscientia in its natural environment.

I've already got some names picked out.

I'm not sure what we'd call the alpha male (the teacher) though...

EDIT: Wait, I know!

So I smiled.  This was awesome :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42703 on: January 31, 2012, 12:25:10 am »

Now I know why it just kept going, and it breaks my heart...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42704 on: January 31, 2012, 12:28:46 am »

Now I know why it just kept going, and it breaks my heart...
:'(  :'(
Dammit man, don't show stuff like that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 2845 2846 [2847] 2848 2849 ... 8167