Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2844 2845 [2846] 2847 2848 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429709 times)

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #42675 on: January 30, 2012, 10:25:11 am »

So my mum got a call from my nana (her mum) a few days ago.
She called to say she has cancer in the liver (might have been somewhere else, I can't remember) and according to the doctor she's probably going to live for about another 6-12 months, although the best-case-scenario is three years.
My nana lives on the other side of the country so mum flew over there a few days ago, came back today and got in this screaming match with my dad for some reason. (Seems like it's resolved now though, silver linings and all that crap)
So in a couple of weeks my family and I are heading over to see my nana, maybe for the last time.  :(
It's always really crappy when a family member is dying, and you look at them and think "This may be the last time I see them". 

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #42676 on: January 30, 2012, 10:36:23 am »

My adorable, kind and all around awesome six month old son is going in today for his 6month shots. I took off work so my wife wouldn't have to go alone, and I'm glad I can be there.

Still, it is really going to stink for the little bean, and I'll probably want to irrationally punch the doctor for putting my son in pain. :(
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42677 on: January 30, 2012, 10:45:40 am »

My adorable, kind and all around awesome six month old son is going in today for his 6month shots. I took off work so my wife wouldn't have to go alone, and I'm glad I can be there.

Still, it is really going to stink for the little bean, and I'll probably want to irrationally punch the doctor for putting my son in pain. :(

Yeah, I remember that. Both my kids turned beet-red in the face. It was one of those things where they open their mouths and no sound comes out for a good ten seconds or more, and you know it's because they're just charging up Dragonball Z-style for their Super Saiyan Dragon Scream Blast.

Although at his 18 month shot, my son didn't even know he got one.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #42678 on: January 30, 2012, 11:25:13 am »

I accidentally overwritten wrong save file at Morrowind. Lost three months of playthrough :c

So much sadness because of just one missclick...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

asferot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dont take it personal... If I destroy this world!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42679 on: January 30, 2012, 11:51:22 am »

...Had 2 folders with very similar names. one was full of pictures other was random junk...

Guess which one I deleted...and my recycle bin is disabled too...
There is not such thing as coincidence in this world. The only thing is Hitsuzen!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42680 on: January 30, 2012, 11:58:58 am »

Yeah, I remember that. Both my kids turned beet-red in the face. It was one of those things where they open their mouths and no sound comes out for a good ten seconds or more, and you know it's because they're just charging up Dragonball Z-style for their Super Saiyan Dragon Scream Blast.

Although at his 18 month shot, my son didn't even know he got one.
At 18 months, my daughter had to have blood drawn. She didn't flinch at the needle poking her (I did,) and she was utterly fascinated by the sight of her own blood. The next time she had to go in for shots, she was excited. Her first words to the doctor were, "Can I see the blood?" When he told her no, there would be no blood, she moped for the rest of the day. My daughter is a freak. She fits right in with the rest of the family.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42681 on: January 30, 2012, 12:06:29 pm »

I actually enjoyed getting shots as a kid. Dunno why.

I'm usually pretty stoic about wounds, blood, etc. But when my daughter had to get her chin sewn back up (17 stitches) at the age of two, that was tough to watch. I've never had stitches, and watching them loop a surgical thread and needles through her bleeding, screaming face...eewwurggh.  :-X

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42682 on: January 30, 2012, 12:08:53 pm »

Wounds are one thing. Usually, you can retaliate on what gave them to you, or attribute them to yourself being stupid. Hospital stuff, though...bluh.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42683 on: January 30, 2012, 12:12:24 pm »

If the compsci kids keep using the class forums as a flirting/show off your e-peen site, I'm going to smash something.

WHY DO THEY HAVE NO SENSE OF PROPRIETY WHY
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42684 on: January 30, 2012, 12:17:23 pm »

WHY DO THEY HAVE NO SENSE OF PROPRIETY WHY
They probably do. Just try to touch their stuff, and you'll see what I mean.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42685 on: January 30, 2012, 12:19:00 pm »

Perhaps the generally accepted conventions are different than you first assumed, Vector!

Join them in the dark side of classroom behavior, or wither away as it basks you in its unholy glory.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42686 on: January 30, 2012, 12:29:29 pm »

At 18 months, my daughter had to have blood drawn. She didn't flinch at the needle poking her (I did,) and she was utterly fascinated by the sight of her own blood. The next time she had to go in for shots, she was excited. Her first words to the doctor were, "Can I see the blood?" When he told her no, there would be no blood, she moped for the rest of the day. My daughter is a freak. She fits right in with the rest of the family.

I was fascinated by shots as a little kid, and still am. I would get terribly upset that they would fill up those little plastic things with blood for their tests and yet the wouldn't give one to me to take home with me. I was all like 'It's MY blood! Give it!".

I did eventually find a phlebotomist with some extra needles willing to draw blood on the side, and me and my girlfriend both filled up vials and exchanged them before spending the next 3 months on opposite sides of the world.

Just to give you an idea of the sort of stuff you have to look forward to for someone fascinated by that sort of thing. ;)

Really, though, she wants to see it that much, get her a blood vial! What's the worst that could happen?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42687 on: January 30, 2012, 12:32:50 pm »

Really, though, she wants to see it that much, get her a blood vial! What's the worst that could happen?
She develops a taste for it. And sparkles.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42688 on: January 30, 2012, 12:33:39 pm »

I see little girls play with glitter all the time (getting it all over the place...) so that's not far off.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42689 on: January 30, 2012, 12:36:41 pm »

Perhaps the generally accepted conventions are different than you first assumed, Vector!

Join them in the dark side of classroom behavior, or wither away as it basks you in its unholy glory.

Look, I just... ugh.  I thought we were past the stupid dominance rituals and generally gross behavior.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 2844 2845 [2846] 2847 2848 ... 8167