Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2839 2840 [2841] 2842 2843 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423778 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #42600 on: January 28, 2012, 06:51:36 pm »

Months? Did I read that right? Because that's excessive no matter how you frame it.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42601 on: January 28, 2012, 06:54:30 pm »

Months? Did I read that right? Because that's excessive no matter how you frame it.
Closer to one and a half, probably, but yeah, it says months.
She can still go over to friend's houses with permission (which is allegedly hard to get..she was having issues convincing her parents to let her work at another person's house on a group project), but she can't watch any television at all. Her parents didn't even believe her when she said she didn't know she was allowed to watch the show, either.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42602 on: January 28, 2012, 07:54:34 pm »

My birthday this year hasn't been so great.  I spent the evening of the actual thing with a guy who decided for me what we were going to do in advance (without telling me), and when I mentioned a conflicting plan acted like that was fine, but mentally rescheduled it so that we'd do the thing on the weekend.  Then he had the audacity to seem surprised when I let him know that I was going home to see my parents this weekend, while he'd planned to watch the movie I'd suggested then.  He also gives embarrassingly bad hugs.

Then I went back to my dorm room and spent the next three hours coding, after my roommate pressed me to go see a movie she wanted to watch.

That guy and I also ended up going out to a really terrible fast food joint, which wasn't his fault but really sucked because I'd been hoping for good food--the dorms I'm in decided that the day was "vegetarians eat brown rice with spaghetti sauce and soup made out of two weeks ago's roasted potatoes because the meat eaters don't get a wide enough fancy sandwich meats" day, so I'd been really looking forward to eating something better.

Naturally, the food also made me sick the entire next day.

Next day I was super-irritable.  Because I showed interest in my class with Professor Poland, he decided he had to teach 10 minutes over the hour and I ended up late (and sprinting) to my next course, which is full of idiotic English majors with no understanding of good student practice (read: they ask fucking moronic questions every two minutes that could be answered by spending some quality time with their textbook or just manning up and being responsible for the material, rather than going "ooh, I'm overwhelmed, am I responsible for this?").  My mom came and picked me up.  We ended up arguing for hours.  We were going to go out for dinner, but my dad said he was too tired and that we were going to do it another day.  I went home and was playing Metal Gear and having a good time until it randomly crapped out, and then I ended up staying up until 5 to finish The Witcher... only to discover that I'd somehow managed to do a really shitty job and play the game badly, despite my best efforts.  I would've normally welcomed the plot twist, but last night it was kind of the pinnacle of a shitty day.

This morning I woke up and my mother told me, first thing, was that before she made my pie (which I don't have any friends to share with), and before we had my birthday dinner, that we needed to go to the grocery store to look at nutrition information on food because what I'm eating for breakfast is unacceptably unhealthy.  Fine.  I managed to argue her out of the trip, but not before I started to think reflexively about the possible merits of losing every scrap of fat on my body and never eating sugar again.  Now I don't want dinner or pie.  To "cheer me up," my parents had me open presents.  80% of it was stuff that I bought at library booksales for myself to further my education.  The rest was clothing.  I told them halfway through that I'd rather open the rest of it later, when I'd be feeling cheerier, but no dice.  All this means to me right now is that I have a lot of things I need to put away.  I can't feel excited about any of it, because I feel like a stupid, bloated lump of trash.

I also discovered today that my feet look deformed from wearing shoes too often, and one of my toes has at long last succumbed to toenail fungus.  Now I have another body part to reflexively make sure no one else ever looks at too closely.

Apparently the celebration part of today, outside of eating and helping the United States' financial industrial capitalistic pig society by recycling other people's unwanted goods, is that we're watching a rom-com my mom picked out from the library and which I previously repeatedly said I had no interest in; she also knows extremely well just how much I hate romantic comedies.  I hate them.  I hate romantic-focused writing, I hate every damn trope of the genre, and I hate being forced to watch other people go through it in cutely ditzy ways to schmaltzy swelling string music for multiple hours.

The rest of the weekend will be spent doing a coding project which I have only one week for (rather than two weeks and a partner) due to joining the class late, solving two extensive math problem sets, and learning two chapters from an English textbook, a chapter from each of two math textbooks.

Oh, and my dad's leaving the country again in three days.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42603 on: January 28, 2012, 10:24:23 pm »

The Witcher actually ends pretty badly no matter how you play it. It's that whole grim dark thing, no matter what you do you fuck up. Although it's possible to fuck things up more in some ways than others.

I can also ditto the dislike of romantic comedies, I've never seen one I actually liked... Actually I hate most generic comedies in general.

As for romances... Well pretty much every movie out there has some element of romance in it, usually involving a guy wooing a girl he likes, and inevitably getting her. Once or twice I've seen a romance movie that I've liked, but I don't think I've seen one that wowed me.

I actually put together some ideas for a screenplay that was supposed to be a deconstruction of the genre. It's about stalkers in love/hate.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42604 on: January 28, 2012, 10:26:32 pm »

It's about stalkers in love/hate.
They did that, it was called twilight, and somehow hoards of teen girls still thought it was romantic.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42605 on: January 28, 2012, 11:17:17 pm »

It's about stalkers in love/hate.
They did that, it was called twilight, and somehow hoards of teen girls still thought it was romantic.
So i got a chance now? ;D

Seriously as stated by memes nowadays:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42606 on: January 28, 2012, 11:19:06 pm »

Hell, Disney told a better love story involving two robots. Miss Meyers, you just don't have the gift.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42607 on: January 28, 2012, 11:19:30 pm »

I almost cried in that opening scene. Possibly one of the strongest and most compelling openings Disney ever pulled on us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42608 on: January 28, 2012, 11:23:32 pm »

Hell, Disney told a better love story involving two robots. Miss Meyers, you just don't have the gift.
You have to admit, that story was told very well. As was the opening of UP.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42609 on: January 28, 2012, 11:26:11 pm »

People try and say Disney is not what it used to be... I dare say they have no idea what they are talking about.

Let's just ignore Disney TV. It never happened, you hear me? NEVER HAPPENED.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42610 on: January 28, 2012, 11:28:08 pm »

You have to admit, that story was told very well. As was the opening of UP.
Well, of course. I may be biased (Pixar is pretty damn awesome), but I loved both of those movies and thought they had very well developed characters.

FAKE EDIT: Agreed, Max. Disney movies = great. Disney TV = What Disney TV?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42611 on: January 28, 2012, 11:32:51 pm »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42612 on: January 28, 2012, 11:34:39 pm »

I'm not sure how much of a spoiler that is...hasn't the movie been out for at least two years now? :P

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42613 on: January 28, 2012, 11:35:35 pm »

I'm not sure how much of a spoiler that is...hasn't the movie been out for at least two years now? :P
Almost four, actually.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #42614 on: January 28, 2012, 11:36:40 pm »

My birthday this year hasn't been so great.  I spent the evening of the actual thing with a guy who decided for me what we were going to do in advance (without telling me), and when I mentioned a conflicting plan acted like that was fine, but mentally rescheduled it so that we'd do the thing on the weekend.  Then he had the audacity to seem surprised when I let him know that I was going home to see my parents this weekend, while he'd planned to watch the movie I'd suggested then.  He also gives embarrassingly bad hugs.

Then I went back to my dorm room and spent the next three hours coding, after my roommate pressed me to go see a movie she wanted to watch.

That guy and I also ended up going out to a really terrible fast food joint, which wasn't his fault but really sucked because I'd been hoping for good food--the dorms I'm in decided that the day was "vegetarians eat brown rice with spaghetti sauce and soup made out of two weeks ago's roasted potatoes because the meat eaters don't get a wide enough fancy sandwich meats" day, so I'd been really looking forward to eating something better.

Naturally, the food also made me sick the entire next day.

Next day I was super-irritable.  Because I showed interest in my class with Professor Poland, he decided he had to teach 10 minutes over the hour and I ended up late (and sprinting) to my next course, which is full of idiotic English majors with no understanding of good student practice (read: they ask fucking moronic questions every two minutes that could be answered by spending some quality time with their textbook or just manning up and being responsible for the material, rather than going "ooh, I'm overwhelmed, am I responsible for this?").  My mom came and picked me up.  We ended up arguing for hours.  We were going to go out for dinner, but my dad said he was too tired and that we were going to do it another day.  I went home and was playing Metal Gear and having a good time until it randomly crapped out, and then I ended up staying up until 5 to finish The Witcher... only to discover that I'd somehow managed to do a really shitty job and play the game badly, despite my best efforts.  I would've normally welcomed the plot twist, but last night it was kind of the pinnacle of a shitty day.

This morning I woke up and my mother told me, first thing, was that before she made my pie (which I don't have any friends to share with), and before we had my birthday dinner, that we needed to go to the grocery store to look at nutrition information on food because what I'm eating for breakfast is unacceptably unhealthy.  Fine.  I managed to argue her out of the trip, but not before I started to think reflexively about the possible merits of losing every scrap of fat on my body and never eating sugar again.  Now I don't want dinner or pie.  To "cheer me up," my parents had me open presents.  80% of it was stuff that I bought at library booksales for myself to further my education.  The rest was clothing.  I told them halfway through that I'd rather open the rest of it later, when I'd be feeling cheerier, but no dice.  All this means to me right now is that I have a lot of things I need to put away.  I can't feel excited about any of it, because I feel like a stupid, bloated lump of trash.

I also discovered today that my feet look deformed from wearing shoes too often, and one of my toes has at long last succumbed to toenail fungus.  Now I have another body part to reflexively make sure no one else ever looks at too closely.

Apparently the celebration part of today, outside of eating and helping the United States' financial industrial capitalistic pig society by recycling other people's unwanted goods, is that we're watching a rom-com my mom picked out from the library and which I previously repeatedly said I had no interest in; she also knows extremely well just how much I hate romantic comedies.  I hate them.  I hate romantic-focused writing, I hate every damn trope of the genre, and I hate being forced to watch other people go through it in cutely ditzy ways to schmaltzy swelling string music for multiple hours.

The rest of the weekend will be spent doing a coding project which I have only one week for (rather than two weeks and a partner) due to joining the class late, solving two extensive math problem sets, and learning two chapters from an English textbook, a chapter from each of two math textbooks.

Oh, and my dad's leaving the country again in three days.

Awww hon. If I were there we'd have cake and order in food.No embarrassingly bad hugs. Just snuggles watching whatever you wanted. :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 2839 2840 [2841] 2842 2843 ... 8167