Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2809 2810 [2811] 2812 2813 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9425632 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #42150 on: January 17, 2012, 06:44:26 pm »

I often feel that I'm too fucked up to function in society, and I should just give up.
I very often feel likes this.

Right now I'm sad because while writing something the power went out, I am now using my laptop to browse around, and using the internet connection that my dad rigged to an emergency battery... Am I the only one who thinks that was a little bit weird?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42151 on: January 17, 2012, 08:03:18 pm »

This woman I have a crush on is really having a hard time right now =(  I think she'll be okay soon, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42152 on: January 18, 2012, 06:25:47 am »

Mass Effect 3 isn't going to be released on Steam. It'll be on Origin.
No f**king way I'm going to install additional bloatware on my low-capacity, old PC.
What specs do you need to play Mass Effect anyhow?
It's less 'not being able to play it', and more 'hard drive space is dangerously low for 2012 standards'.

Sucks having to juggle data in a hard drive with only 10GB, more or less, remaining.

Not to mention having to install something that you'll never use after you're done with a certain program, and forgetting to uninstall it.
I have 5 gigs on the computer that isn't the 'family computer, but I am fine with playing Nethack and browser games, so I don't mind.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42153 on: January 18, 2012, 08:44:47 am »

I think I've mentioned this to you before Josh but my parents are pretty bad as well.  They really break every parent rule there is and it makes me hate them sometimes.  I suppose they at least love me but they have no idea how to handle themselves healthily.
Ditto that. I at least had the advantage that I didn't grow up with either biological parent, so at least their effect on me was a lot less pronounced. My mother, in particular, is a walking ball of FAIL. She means well, but she's just not very bright and doesn't recognize her limitations. And my father, while bright and successful, has the emotional depth of a tin of sardines and a penchant in his younger days for skirt-chasing. I see negative parts of both them in me (my mom's passivity and my dad's arrogance and tendency to throw up an emotional wall a mile thick), but whaddya gonna do? Genes gonna gene.

Best I can offer is that no matter how much you're saddled with family, you're still your own person.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42154 on: January 18, 2012, 11:35:31 am »

I got lucky that the family I was raised by is pretty cool. My biological dad is an enormous loser, of course, but at least he tries - he's just... bad. At everything. And he's kind of a doormat. God damn, the guy let himself get robbed twice and then lung shanked by his brother, and STILL lets his brother live with him rent free (and refuses to press charges or anything).

Anyways, I'm sad because I'm a lazy fuck who's not working on the shit he would be working, and overall a failure of an employee and pretty much as a human being. And I'm pretty tired of people in general. At least if I'm a failure, I feel like I'm in good company - everyone around me seems to be some variant thereof as well, right?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42155 on: January 18, 2012, 12:46:43 pm »

My instant beef pho had only two tiny globs of pseudo-meat in it.
Vietnam, I am disappoint.

</1stworldproblems>

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42156 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:58 pm »

</1stworldproblems>
Im just glad i can make it myself, now i need to find restaurants in Utah that can cook like me >_>

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42157 on: January 18, 2012, 01:00:54 pm »

There's several good Vietnamese places within 10-15 minutes of work, but I'm trying to save money. It's a buck or two more than a pack of ramen, but it's also wayyyyy better than generic American ramen. I can't do American ramen anymore...just tastes like MSG. Not when I can get spicy flaming Indonesian noodles of death for 50 cents more. Or pho, or dan dan noodle, or whatever.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42158 on: January 18, 2012, 01:04:40 pm »

</1stworldproblems>

I remember how recently somebody science'd up a ready-to-eat portion of shrimp soup to find out how much of it was actually shrimp. Turns out there was only one shrimp in it.
Love, scriver~

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #42159 on: January 18, 2012, 01:35:55 pm »

Anyone know how to recover a folder from a USB drive?  I can't find it in any way, up to and including file recovery programs, and there was some really important stuff on there (like my mother's work).  Shitshitshit.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42160 on: January 18, 2012, 02:12:44 pm »

if you haven't written any data on there yet use this http://www.piriform.com/recuva

did you formatted it?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #42161 on: January 18, 2012, 02:14:31 pm »

Ugh I messed up on my art project for Finals  :(

Edit:

... ??? They make instant pho?  Suddenly I feel very lucky that I'm able to get the authentic stuff whenever I want
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:18:22 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42162 on: January 18, 2012, 02:33:26 pm »

... ??? They make instant pho?  Suddenly I feel very lucky that I'm able to get the authentic stuff whenever I want

Yeah, it's basically a bowl with dry rice noodle and various packets of oil and dehyrdrated stuff. Add water and nuke for 3 minutes. It ain't great but it's cheap. Don't think I'll get that one again though.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #42163 on: January 18, 2012, 02:38:46 pm »

My little sisters job is being threatened again. She was put in a non-profitable group. After she trained them on a new tool, they are still not profitable because the rest of the group sucks. They also put her desk at the entrance of the office and she gets constant interruptions because people think she is a secretary. As long as that is going on, she won't be able to wow people with her personal performance well enough to avoid the axe when they cut everyone else loose. 

I may have to buy/rent a big house and let my sister, mother and stepfather stay with me until the economy recovers. And that screws up my plans to pay down my debt, have personal privacy and not hear about how horrible my mothers life is every single day.

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #42164 on: January 18, 2012, 03:27:56 pm »

My boss is attempting to get me to blatantly break not only copyright but electronically traceable copyright and give him free legal research materials that I paid for, but he is too damn cheap to.... If I can afford it and I'm broke, you can too.... You cheap miser.

I just smiled like hell at him when I actually laid out what he wanted me to do and said I would only do it if he signed a full indemnity agreement and an acknowledgement that he and his business alone were responsible for and the director of all orders concerning said activity (which is both illegal as hell and something lawyers get caught doing fairly often). I drew up the paperwork last night, handed him a copy of the paperwork and then handed him a pen.

Lexis Nexis and Westlaw DO catch people who do this. I've read the cases, all of them; they aren't pretty.

Please fire me for this, pretty please. I will sue you to and past death. I'll also get you disbarred, because that's what you're ordering me to be if I do this and you're either too callous to care or too stupid to know it.

I'm not stepping in a fucking bear trap to save you some money.

Why are you not only corrupt, but bad at being corrupt, and trying to insist you take me down with you?  :(
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:34:14 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 2809 2810 [2811] 2812 2813 ... 8167