Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2790 2791 [2792] 2793 2794 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9431861 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41865 on: January 08, 2012, 01:37:48 pm »

We were given a list of Canadian historical figures. If you did not do a song about your figure(Mine was John Deifenbaker) you failed and he will not release your marks at the end of the term. If you use a rhyming structure that is not AABB you failed and he will not release your marks at the end of the term. If you do it in Screamo Metal you failed and he will not release your marks at the end of the term. If you complain that even as someone who doesn't listen to rap you think that rigid emotionless rules isn't really what rap is about you failed and he will not release your marks at the end of the term.

To be fair he is one of the worst teachers I've had. He once kicked a good 95% of our 30 person class out into the hallway because we failed to do the worksheet that he didn't assign and wasn't worth marks as homework. And then he came into the hallway and told us we were all going to fail by saying that we had better work harder next time they take his class. It's either sad or hilarious.

Ah. That explains everything. He's a frustrated language teacher. I've seen that a lot. (Generally, schools find it much easier to staff language positions due to the wide number of paths one can take to qualify. So many people who set out for that path find themselves teaching some other subject (often history, as there's a large perception that it's a less important and fairly easy subject) because of secondary qualifications or TOGA.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41866 on: January 08, 2012, 01:43:08 pm »

Hahaha, I asked him once if john Deifenbaker ever killed anyone. Just because of Deifenbaker/Meet your maker. He said no, and that Canadians were not known for killing people. Putting aside the logical object(WW1,WW2, Korean war, Vietnam war, Gulf war, Afghanistan) he served in WW1. I knew what I had to do. I had to write shitty Rap lyrics.

Quote from: Actually shitty lyrics
Ain’t none of Ya’ll mess with john Deifenbaker.
He’ll take you down to meet your maker.
He fought once back in world war 1
He killed back then, and he did it for fun.

Is this truly what the world is coming to.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:13:35 pm by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41867 on: January 08, 2012, 02:16:34 pm »

One rhymes with fun in Canada?
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41868 on: January 08, 2012, 02:19:14 pm »

Er, yes? How would you pronounce it?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41869 on: January 08, 2012, 02:25:27 pm »

Having lived in the Netherlands I'm inclined to pronounce "Diefenbaker" (you guys mixed the I and the E around) as "Dee-Fen-Back-er. Rather than "Dye-Fin-Bay-Ker".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41870 on: January 08, 2012, 02:33:55 pm »

Having lived in the Netherlands I'm inclined to pronounce "Diefenbaker" (you guys mixed the I and the E around) as "Dee-Fen-Back-er. Rather than "Dye-Fin-Bay-Ker".

To be Honest I just read it out phonetically and hoped for the best/didn't actually care all that much.

We need to put the rap on a disc, in a jewel case with a honest to god album cover. He wants beautiful artwork? I'LL SHOW HIM BEAUTIFUL ALBUM ART.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41871 on: January 08, 2012, 02:43:14 pm »

[Disclaimer: this is not and is not intended to be an advertisement for legal services. I do not take cases online, ever, due to jurisdictional and ethical concerns. Should you require legal assistance, please contact a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction].

It appears I am owed $87,298.50 from non paying clients last year (includes some comparatively minor court costs), and that is after significant discounts, because I don't charge anywhere near what lots of other attorneys do.... That's on about between 60 or 70 cases....  It's really hard to say how many of those cases I "won" because sometimes winning means different things. Sometimes you've just got no damn defense and your only option is a plea or a settlement in a civil case, but it's better than what you would've surely gotten if you went to trial. Other times, you're just screwed and the question is how much can we reduce the sentence and avoid jail time (I seem strangely good at that for some reason). All of this is done in my lovely 60-80 hour weeks so yeah.... Keep in mind you can buy a nice little house for that here and in this market, you could buy two or three foreclosed ones here, but that's still not all of my student loan debt....

I really do hate people trying to apply numbers to legal representation, because it doesn't show anything, meh. Moreover each case is a different damn snowflake with different facts and angles so "win percentages" mean absolutely nothing, because they can't be reproduced next year or ever with any reliability. [shrugs], Keeping in mind that this only applies to the unpaid cases here, I'm gonna say on the side of pessimistic-against-myself-caution it's a 32% loss ratio with 11% of those badly lost. Keep in mind that sometimes the guy just freaking did it.... We'll say this means 68% won, which, given that one side always wins and the other always loses, plus the fact that it isn't my conduct on trial (client's is), makes me wonder why the hell these people aren't paying at all. The doctor still gets paid whether or not you make it through the surgery; he operated.... I get not being able to pay, but that's different from the implied or all too often express, "Screw you for not doing anything." That part about them being out of jail seems to have happened only after I showed up, coincidence?

Especially if I decide corporate accounting makes more sense/is easier for me, I'm suing pretty much all of 'em. And, I'll do it exactly 1 year after the last date of services rendered for SOL purposes.

Who are we kidding, the money is a large part of it, but it's the way they respond too. If they really, honestly don't have it, then that's one thing. I've actually had them say "I don't know you," and hang up on me in addition to lots of other things. Imagine my joy and expression thereof, especially given that I certainly remember. That's simply not going to fly and I'm amazed they think it will....
[/rant]

Stay away from law school kids....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:00:47 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #41872 on: January 08, 2012, 02:45:29 pm »

I have to go back to school tomorrow.
That wouldn't have been so bad, if I had actually studied for the tests I have next week. Or read any of the books I am supposed to have read.
 :(

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #41873 on: January 08, 2012, 03:11:31 pm »

I just finished playing Digital: a love story.

That was... sad.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #41874 on: January 08, 2012, 03:21:35 pm »

I have school tomorrow, ugh.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41875 on: January 08, 2012, 03:27:24 pm »

I have school tomorrow, ugh.

Ditto here.
No more sleeping until 2pm.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #41876 on: January 08, 2012, 03:29:33 pm »

I have two pieces of coursework to hand in on Friday, and neither of them are particularly far done.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #41877 on: January 08, 2012, 04:31:24 pm »

I just checked when I have my tests.
Next week: Math
Week after that: Chemistry, English, Dutch, Physics, Biology, History and German.

I'm going to hate myself next weekend but at least I won't have to do anything for a while :3

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #41878 on: January 08, 2012, 04:53:19 pm »

Dang, that's quite a bit of money, Truean. Ironic how it's almost as much money as the proffered bribe of several days before.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41879 on: January 08, 2012, 05:45:39 pm »

Dang, that's quite a bit of money, Truean. Ironic how it's almost as much money as the proffered bribe of several days before.

Yup, it figures.... Kinda why I'm seriously considering changing careers, or... whatever you wanna call it honestly.... Thing about having a day job and just doing transactional things like wills with evening/weekend appointments is... you get paid on the spot....

If I would've graduated law school 10 years sooner....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:50:18 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 2790 2791 [2792] 2793 2794 ... 8167