Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2786 2787 [2788] 2789 2790 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429360 times)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41805 on: January 06, 2012, 10:42:42 pm »

I need to translate those Morse code messages...

I got a bag of superbly fitting underwear.
Then I washed them and now they are super tight.
This makes me sad.
Did you use cold water or warm/hot water? I heard that cold water helps prevent shrinkage (ironically)
Pretty sure it was cold water. Interesting fact to know though.

Cold doesn't prevent shrinkage so much as it removes a major contributing factor.  When they make clothes, they stretch the fibers that make them up on the molecular level.  Agitation, heat, and moisture cause the fibers to relax and shrink down to their natural state, which causes your clothes to shrink.

My laptop's power cord just burst into flames. That is... problematic. Mercifully, the laptop itself is fine and the fire did not spread beyond a single point on the cord that burned itself out quickly after I unplugged the fucker. Worst 30 bucks (counting shipping) I ever spent. Don't have the money to replace it this month, so until next I'll have to make do with the one I replaced with the now-combusted one, which refuses to be recognized by the computer until significant wiggling gets some broken pins to match up (a common issue with the things).

Please say that thing is under warranty...  Even if not, if you can show it wasn't negligence, the manufacturer might replace it anyway...  This is very serious, you know.  Like massive lawsuit serious.  I'd be (probably angrily) calling the manufacturer about this no matter what the circumstances.  Even slightly damaged equipment shouldn't risk potentially burning the building down and harming people inside.

Is the old power cable designed for that laptop?  If the voltage and wattage don't match, it could be a computer-frying disaster waiting to happen.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #41806 on: January 06, 2012, 10:44:57 pm »

Did you try resoldering the wire? It's probably just a snap-then-short that caused it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41807 on: January 06, 2012, 10:50:22 pm »

The product is this, and I am completely unsure if it even has a warranty. I did not investigate it as well as I should have before purchasing it, and am only now realizing that it's actually a pretty shady thing. I'm trying to find out who the actual manufacturer is and how to get in touch between working on the desktop, but am not hopeful.

The old cable is one that actually came with the laptop, but they're known for the particular fault it (the non-combusting one) developed.

As for resoldering... there's a bunch of melted plastic in the way, and I don't have a soldering iron anyway. I'd also prefer not to solder the wrong things together, which looks possible (kind of hard to tell with the plastic in the way, but it looks like there's multiple wires running through the cable, which you'd have to have for a circuit anyway).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #41808 on: January 06, 2012, 10:57:26 pm »

Ah, you'd have to take the plastic off with a knife, identify the wires with an ohmmeter (to test for continuities), and then find some way to re-sheath it without just wrapping six feet of electrical tape on it. I'd go for the warranty, if it has one.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41809 on: January 06, 2012, 11:04:14 pm »

Bauglir, I'll look into faults with that cable a little later.  For now, you linked a Dell power cable sold on Amazon and sold by a company I've never heard of.  It looks reasonable that this is either old or overstock parts bought by a third party.  I haven't bought anything from Amazon in quite some time, so I'm not sure how long you have to return/exchange items, but they do have an explicit replacement policy in place that you could look into.  Dell customer service is obscenely bad, but you may be able to force something out of them.

Did you try resoldering the wire? It's probably just a snap-then-short that caused it.

While resoldering something could have caused it in the first place, now that it's happened, it's probably f*ed.  I don't know for sure, but usually when circuits short, current goes somewhere in a direction it's not supposed to or voltage is too high somewhere and some component or other fries and kills the circuit.  Worth looking into, though.  If it works, its saved.  If it's already dead, you can't exactly kill it worse.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41810 on: January 06, 2012, 11:26:36 pm »

Yeah, that all sounds probable. Based on what I remember, the problem is a pin breaking just before the connector that you actually plug in, that prevents a chip in the adapter from sending a signal that indicates a genuine Dell adapter. Having a difficult time finding references now, though, but given that what I need to do is twist the cord around that spot until it recognizes it, it seems probable that this is the solution.

Looks like Dell itself is completely without liability here, though, given that the purchase was made through a third party seller and that the original cord is far, far beyond warranty.

EDIT: And then I broke my Ubuntu installation by installing video card drivers that apparently do not support the current version of xorg. Or something. Googling has been unhelpful, but I do know that it hangs while booting, which has reduced my options to fresh install and pray I don't fuck it up again. I'm starting to get a little annoyed, my woes are going to have to move over to the rage thread soon.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 12:37:02 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41811 on: January 07, 2012, 01:24:04 am »

This is depressing me.  If you couldn't tell before, I have a very low opinion of Dell.  That happened several years ago when I bought a laptop from them and it died after ten months.  They said the hard drive failed and sent me a new one.  A week or two later, the new one failed.  This went on for more than a half dozen hard drives.  Then Dell started refusing to honor my warranty.  This same thing happened to multiple people I know.  My opinion of Dell isn't bad because their products failed, it isn't bad because they couldn't send me a working hard drive, it isn't bad because they would only send me refurbished crap.  My opinion of Dell is very bad because they refused to honor my warranty and those of multiple people I know.  I wish I were as smart back then as I am now.  I learned while looking into your problem that Dell laptops have a historic tendency to have defective motherboards.  Defective motherboards that are defective in such a way as to make it appear the hard drive is bad.  I think I know what was really wrong with all of our laptops.

Yeah, that all sounds probable. Based on what I remember, the problem is a pin breaking just before the connector that you actually plug in, that prevents a chip in the adapter from sending a signal that indicates a genuine Dell adapter. Having a difficult time finding references now, though, but given that what I need to do is twist the cord around that spot until it recognizes it, it seems probable that this is the solution.

Looks like Dell itself is completely without liability here, though, given that the purchase was made through a third party seller and that the original cord is far, far beyond warranty.

With the fiery cable, as near as I can tell, it is long since replaced.  It doesn't appear to have been involved with any recalls, though.  The Dell replacement parts website shows four AC adapters as replacements for this model laptop.  Two are 65W and neither is the same as the one pictured.  So it's possible it really is the original adapter that came with the thing and Dell has long since replaced it.  This laptop came out in early 2008 and was discontinued by early 2009.  The Amazon page doesn't give any relevant information on the adapter, so I'm going straight off of visual comparison.  The only spec it gives is the power output.

So I got creative.  I found adapters that visually match that one that also claim to be for the Inspiron 1525 on eBay.  eBay is giving me surprisingly useful specifications.  All across the board, different sellers of this adapter all give the same specs.  Dell won't tell me anything about the adapters they're selling except that they're 65W or 90W and the only information I can find regarding the power specs of the machine are that the power adapter takes 120-260V and 50-60H.  The eBay adapters are consistent with these specs, so in theory should work.  I'm not finding anything that says this adapter has a problem with exploding under normal circumstances, so it probably isn't a problem inherent to the adapter.  It's either a compatibility issue or, I think the more likely scenario, the thing was defective before igniting.

For your old one that you're now using, if it's working well enough, you're good.  I'd advise against trying to fix it.  Soldering these sorts of things tends to be sketchy.

On the plus side, you can get this adapter on eBay for <$10.  There's one listed at $0.99 right now.  The cheapest one Dell is selling goes for $59.99.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41812 on: January 07, 2012, 01:31:42 am »

Yeah, I also have a low opinion of them. Every Dell product I currently own is a result of a gift from somebody who has been lucky enough not to have cause to dislike them, or else a result of buying new accessories (see: power cable) to allow those gifts to continue functioning. But, yeah, I'm guessing the fault was with the manufacture - more specifically, I think there was a weakness in one of the wires and it finally broke today.

I appreciate your looking into this, thanks. I'll be getting a new one next month if I can't get this one replaced at the vendor's expense, since this month it'd eat into my food money and that's just not acceptable. I might do that anyway, for fear of further combustion.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41813 on: January 07, 2012, 02:19:21 am »

I'm sure you're right about the defective wiring.  It's impossible to get right, honestly.  It just happens to be a defect that can cause fires...which have potential for mass property damage and loss of life if things happen disastrously enough.  I'd feel bad for the manufacturer if it wasn't Dell.

Never let this cut into your food budget.  You're better off not having a computer than allowing that computer to do anything to essentials.  Your computer is not essential.  You can save all data to external disks (USB keys are dirt cheap) or Dropbox (first 2GB are free) or something and use public computers.  You'll find them at least at your local library and probably plenty of other places these days.

Like I said, you can get a cable that should theoretically work for very cheap on eBay.  eBay's assurance that it will work is as good as anyone else's assurance unless you buy from Dell.  Only Dell can absolutely assure you that it will work correctly and with your laptop.

Now is a good time to start saving to buy a new laptop.  Laptops are obsolete by the time they come out.  Your model was discontinued two years ago, so it's at least that old and could potentially be up to three years old.  By that point, laptops are obsolete enough as to become difficult to use.  It's reasonable to get five or ten years out of a laptop if you take care of it and are only doing simple stuff, but realistically, you're replacing them every two to three years.  You'd be absolutely amazed what kind of gold you can find on Craigslist for almost nothing.  My roommate got a new Apple laptop that came with the entire Adobe CS5 Suite for roughly...a quarter of it's actual value.

Glad I could help and hope I actually was of help.  I also apologize to the thread for not being sad enough for the theme while looking into this.  I guess I should say something on topic so this isn't a complete derail...um...

Honestly, I really wish I could be with my friends.  Winter break means everyone is spread out and not answering their phones.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41814 on: January 07, 2012, 02:51:51 am »

Dang ol' Modren Oryn (sp?) getting stuck on a spike trap. Then he goes over to the boss, Azani Blackheart (real tough asshole) and instantly dies because his health doesn't regenerate. Dammit Modryn you're supposed to be helping me here!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41815 on: January 07, 2012, 02:57:14 am »

Haha, I remember that quest. Modreyn running infront of me against Azani just as I'd buffed my strength and accidentally cut him down instead...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #41816 on: January 07, 2012, 04:48:00 am »

Went to bed at 4:00am only to get woken up two hours later by someone watching a loud film. Since then I've tried go back to sleep but now it's nearly 10:00am I've given up and gotten out of bed. I feel really wired and doubt I'll make it through the day. The only solace is that he chose a great film:John Carpenter's The Thing.

On the topic of Dell I have two of their products: A monitor and a laptop. I've had no real problems with them. I was especially pleased with their customer service. The only snag I've hit is with getting new drivers for my graphics card. The ones Dell host are really out of date but I've had the laptop nearly five years now.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41817 on: January 07, 2012, 10:00:38 am »

...Dell...
* MaximumZero whistles innocently.

Anyway. Why you gotta go and ruin a good song with a terrible music video, Kamelot? Why would you do that?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41818 on: January 07, 2012, 10:19:49 am »

See i know thats a band but it made me instantly think Monty Python :P

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41819 on: January 07, 2012, 10:20:21 am »

See i know thats a band but it made me instantly think Monty Python :P
It's only a model.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 2786 2787 [2788] 2789 2790 ... 8167