Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2784 2785 [2786] 2787 2788 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9426283 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41775 on: January 06, 2012, 05:18:54 pm »

If the Universe is Finite, then everything we do, everything we know will one day not exist. The net effect of all life on earth in the long run will be Zero.

If the Universe is Infinite, then everything we do, everything we know is infintesimally small compared to the universe, and in the long run is Practically Zero.

Thought about that until 4am last night, unable to sleep.
If the Universe has no real meaning, then we have the utter freedom to create whatever meaning we want.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #41776 on: January 06, 2012, 05:20:02 pm »

How many movies has he been in?  He has a Bacon number of 2 through at least five different chains.
Having just skimmed through a list of the films he's been in I can see plenty I enjoyed but just as many I disliked. I must have just hit a run of bad ones that left me with a poor opinion of him. I had forgotten he was in a number of films I greatly enjoyed.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41777 on: January 06, 2012, 05:21:30 pm »

If the Universe is Finite, then everything we do, everything we know will one day not exist. The net effect of all life on earth in the long run will be Zero.

If the Universe is Infinite, then everything we do, everything we know is infintesimally small compared to the universe, and in the long run is Practically Zero.

Realizing that was incredibly freeing, heh. Probably the best day of my life when I actually got around to internalizing that truth. Getting there took a few full out depressive breakdowns, but it was worth it :)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #41778 on: January 06, 2012, 05:24:21 pm »

You can't judge Nicholas Cage based on Face Off, that also had John Travolta and it is against his religion to act in a good movie.

Lord of War for instance, was pretty good.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41779 on: January 06, 2012, 05:25:40 pm »

True dat on both counts.  Face Off was terrible even though Nic Cage had to fill two different roles and filled them both the way Nic Cage always does, and Lord of War was just plain great.

Except it's completely meaningless to anyone who's not going to live to see the end of the universe.  To the other mortals for whom your life might have consequences, the net effect of life is life.  It might be infinitesimal compared to the life of stars, but not human beings.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41780 on: January 06, 2012, 05:34:34 pm »

The universe may be big and expansive and last a long time, but to what point and purpose? The universe is meaningless without someone to experience it. That someone is you, me, and everyone else. Without life to see it, the universe would be as pointless as a computer program no one ever sees the output of.

You don't need to justify yourself to the universe. It's the other way around.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41781 on: January 06, 2012, 05:39:12 pm »

I'd like to add the possibility the very real likelihood that humanity will progress technologically to the point where expanding our civilizations to the furthest reaches of space, and bending the principles of space and time to do awesome shit to the point where the death of the universe won't even matter.

The forces of entropy will become our bitch, just you watch. Your actions do matter.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41782 on: January 06, 2012, 05:44:29 pm »

The forces of entropy will become our bitch, just you watch.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41783 on: January 06, 2012, 05:49:41 pm »

You don't need to justify yourself to the universe. It's the other way around.
Sometimes you gotta take a step back, don't really care what the Universe thinks about us because she is a bitch and I really shouldn't care, and swallow a few Humanistic pills
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41784 on: January 06, 2012, 05:52:53 pm »

OI, me 'n me dad are the only persons allowed to call my mom a bitch.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41785 on: January 06, 2012, 05:54:58 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I will read every single fictional work in the entire universe, then I'll know it's safe to open this spoiler.

Although obviously marking this spoiler would make it a spoiler.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #41786 on: January 06, 2012, 06:27:46 pm »

Fun fact: when I was 15 I collaborated in writing an adaptation of Dracula in which vampires were fungal lifeforms.  We added that bit in order to annoy someone we called "the mushroom"
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41787 on: January 06, 2012, 07:40:07 pm »

I actually just said "library" instead of "driveway" when I was reading off an email to my mom, and didn't notice that anything was wrong.  I sort of can't believe this, but the spoonerisms and substitutions are getting even worse.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41788 on: January 06, 2012, 07:43:13 pm »

I actually just said "library" instead of "driveway" when I was reading off an email to my mom, and didn't notice that anything was wrong.  I sort of can't believe this, but the spoonerisms and substitutions are getting even worse.
This is a normal ordinary thing, that happens to everyone. Don't worry about it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41789 on: January 06, 2012, 07:43:56 pm »

It's called a Freudian Slip, Vec. Don't worry about it.
Pages: 1 ... 2784 2785 [2786] 2787 2788 ... 8167