Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2783 2784 [2785] 2786 2787 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429305 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41760 on: January 06, 2012, 12:55:21 pm »

I just don't like them.
Out of curiosity, what's your opinion of Nicolas Cage?

(there is a method to my madness)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41761 on: January 06, 2012, 12:57:04 pm »

HE'S A VAMPIRE

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41762 on: January 06, 2012, 01:02:36 pm »

Paycheck is less than I'd anticipated. This is what comes of doing your financing in your head, I suppose. Gonna have to put off car maintenance. Again. At least I've got enough to pay all my bills and eat decently (if not optimally), which is definitely better than it could've been. I should be fine as long as everything goes according to plan - aw, fuck. I'm boned, aren't I?

Also, this seems relevant to the conversation I'm interrupting here
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41763 on: January 06, 2012, 02:12:29 pm »

HE'S A VAMPIRE
Hmm...interesting. I ask, because an old friend of mine had a deep-seated, irrational hatred for mushrooms. He also had a deep-seated, irrational hatred for Nicolas Cage. My working theory was that Nicolas Cage is actually therefore some kind of fungus posing as a human, but I lacked enough data points.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41764 on: January 06, 2012, 02:15:19 pm »

Yes, but Darvi has already shown he is a sub-standard fungal detector.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41765 on: January 06, 2012, 02:36:21 pm »

Yes, but Darvi has already shown he is a sub-standard fungal detector.
That could be why he's malfunctioning and registering Cage as a vampire. After all--both prefer dark, damp places full of decay, and live by feeding off others. The main difference being

garlic + mushrooms = nom nom
garlic + vampires = keeps you from being nommed

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #41766 on: January 06, 2012, 02:56:09 pm »

He's a Mi-Go
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41768 on: January 06, 2012, 04:38:14 pm »

I think I am starting to actually hate dwarf fortress for no other reason then after playing it and reading about it for three years I have heard every joke or funny event that could possibly happen and yet every day thousands of people spew out the same thing over and over thinking they are clever new and not just a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a repeat.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41769 on: January 06, 2012, 04:49:32 pm »

Could say the same for 99.99% of memes. The average meme is old by its 4th or 5th usage.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41770 on: January 06, 2012, 05:05:31 pm »

Every story you could name borrows on past stories and repeats tropes that have seen millions of iteraitions.
Repeatition since the dawn of the writen word.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #41771 on: January 06, 2012, 05:08:22 pm »

HE'S A VAMPIRE
Hmm...interesting. I ask, because an old friend of mine had a deep-seated, irrational hatred for mushrooms. He also had a deep-seated, irrational hatred for Nicolas Cage. My working theory was that Nicolas Cage is actually therefore some kind of fungus posing as a human, but I lacked enough data points.
For fear of ostracising myself amongst all you Cage fans: I really like mushrooms but dislike Nicolas Cage for a number of the films he's been in, absolutely adore Raising Arizona, though. Then again I've occasionally disliked certain specific mushrooms and so perhaps he's a rare kind I can't easily stomach.

Criptfeind: I feel your pain on this one; Still like DF but the jokes are grating on me.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41772 on: January 06, 2012, 05:11:12 pm »

I like how that one movie that he was in, that I saw but absolutely can't remember the name of, where he was a witch/demon hunter knight in medieval times, went completely under the radar.

I thought that was pretty decent.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #41773 on: January 06, 2012, 05:13:36 pm »

If the Universe is Finite, then everything we do, everything we know will one day not exist. The net effect of all life on earth in the long run will be Zero.

If the Universe is Infinite, then everything we do, everything we know is infintesimally small compared to the universe, and in the long run is Practically Zero.

Thought about that until 4am last night, unable to sleep.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41774 on: January 06, 2012, 05:14:18 pm »

HE'S A VAMPIRE
For fear of ostracising myself amongst all you Cage fans: I really like mushrooms but dislike Nicolas Cage for a number of the films he's been in, absolutely adore Raising Arizona, though. Then again I've occasionally disliked certain specific mushrooms and so perhaps he's a rare kind I can't easily stomach.

Criptfeind: I feel your pain on this one; Still like DF but the jokes are grating on me.

How many movies has he been in?  He has a Bacon number of 2 through at least five different chains.

I don't mushrooms either.  I just don't.
Pages: 1 ... 2783 2784 [2785] 2786 2787 ... 8167