Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2782 2783 [2784] 2785 2786 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430347 times)

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41745 on: January 06, 2012, 02:52:45 am »

Steam had a meltdown while I was trying to play old buggy games. Ended up having to "repair" steam, which in some freak accident (I assume) managed to delete upwards of 50 games I had installed- several of which I was really wanting to play after a rather long, stressful day today. Couldn't decide where to put this post as it made me sad, raged, and WTF-ing at various points. Some nice stuff happened today too though, so I guess that kind of balances out. Sort of.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #41746 on: January 06, 2012, 03:27:08 am »

Steam had a meltdown while I was trying to play old buggy games. Ended up having to "repair" steam, which in some freak accident (I assume) managed to delete upwards of 50 games I had installed- several of which I was really wanting to play after a rather long, stressful day today. Couldn't decide where to put this post as it made me sad, raged, and WTF-ing at various points. Some nice stuff happened today too though, so I guess that kind of balances out. Sort of.
Did you check your computer for the actual game files? It may have simply reset its default folder to another directory or something, thus not detecting the games.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41747 on: January 06, 2012, 03:56:06 am »

I saw the movie.  I thought the way time travel worked for that character was kind of interesting, and the way the girl got herself pregnant against the guy's wishes was worthy of a smirk.  That's about it.

Hmm, okay.  I'll probably read another 20-30 pages and then toss it if they haven't introduced a Big Important Plot Device.

I'm so tired of reading hetero romances =/  The thing is, I feel like most of them read like "a tale of two power games," whereas the slash stuff I read (not so much yaoi that adheres to seme/uke personality divisions, but other things) usually has more of an equal footing to start with.  Meeeeeeeeeh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41748 on: January 06, 2012, 04:04:21 am »

Blegh, missed the bus. And I really needed to go in to hand in my programming assignments today.
*Hugs*

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #41749 on: January 06, 2012, 08:20:32 am »

My coursework specification says it shouldn't be longer than 8 pages. Mine is slightly over 1 page. I hate essays and reports.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41750 on: January 06, 2012, 11:20:06 am »

How is it even possible to write an essay that is less than two pages? You wouldn't have any room for arguments between the opener and closer.

Fuck, I've written a large number of posts here that are longer than two pages.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41751 on: January 06, 2012, 11:26:04 am »

Double or single spaced? Depending on how simple the point you want to make is, and your level of eloquence, you can make a convincing argument in as few as 3 sentences. Chances are, to be really good about it, you'll need a couple of paragraphs, but even so, length is an extremely poor indicator of quality. Particularly page length, which can be altered by several variables. But it does make a good indicator of effort to produce sufficient volume of writing, which is usually what most assignments are about (since it's through lots of writing that you get lots of practice). Problem is, nobody tells anybody that, so you end up with a lot of people getting the impression that the longer your essay is, the better it is. Including instructors.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41752 on: January 06, 2012, 11:30:59 am »

Okay, it's POSSIBLE to get a shorter essay, but generally takes active effort and a rare talent for conciseness (and a very good understanding of your audiences assumptions). If you don't have those, there's a certain amount of the essay that needs to go towards establishing them, and if you're having length problems, well - stop making assumptions, and you should be fine.

And I will agree length certainly isn't an indicator of quality. An essay should really be exactly as long as it needs to be (and no longer). But even for my shortest essays (2 or 3 pages), I'll usually come out with many pages of writing over the course of development, with a history that includes points where they were 8 or 10.

Maybe I'm just strange, though.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41753 on: January 06, 2012, 11:32:40 am »

I can do conscise.

Seriously it's harder for me to write anything longer than just a couple pages. But then again I am neutral in regards to a great many things so I don't have many arguments to much either. :V

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #41754 on: January 06, 2012, 11:41:33 am »

This one's a report, but it's still tiny. My essays in school were invariably short and crappy.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41755 on: January 06, 2012, 12:40:28 pm »

Blargh, the bouchée had shrooms in it, despite me mom's insistence that it didn't. Now I feel sick.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41756 on: January 06, 2012, 12:44:18 pm »

I'm so freaking depressed right now at how bad I apparently am with ladies. I failed to get a date IN A GODDAMN DATING SIM. The whole purpose of the game, and I end up drinking heavily and falling to my accidental doom. Goddamn it.

Bah hah hah hah hah!  I died THREE TIMES before finally getting on a particular path! 

Oh god, that was sad.  Especially considering I was just picking what sounded sensible to me. 

Also, keep a box of tissues nearby for Hanako's path.  I bawled.

EDIT:  Nevermind, just saw your post in the happy thread =P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41757 on: January 06, 2012, 12:46:19 pm »

There are dating sims where you can DIE if you make bad choices? That's hardcore.

Blargh, the bouchée had shrooms in it, despite me mom's insistence that it didn't. Now I feel sick.
What's wrong with shrooms? Unless they're the hallucinogenic kind, in which case that is also hardcore.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41758 on: January 06, 2012, 12:47:32 pm »

I just don't like them.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41759 on: January 06, 2012, 12:49:14 pm »

Oh god, that was sad.  Especially considering I was just picking what sounded sensible to me. 

Don't worry about it too much, Adventure Game designers have the same problem of having their own sort of internal logic you cannot derive until the game is complete. I guess dating sims of sufficient quality/development channel that?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 2782 2783 [2784] 2785 2786 ... 8167