Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2768 2769 [2770] 2771 2772 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452986 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41535 on: January 01, 2012, 03:52:16 pm »

I may take a position as a corporate accountant instead of my attorney position.... Everything practical in me says do it. Everything emotional in me says not to. I cannot do criminal law with a corporate 9-5, because that's when the courthouses are open for business....

It's far less bullshit to deal with and actually more money (especially with the vastly reduced expenses). Apparently, my not being a CPA is not a problem, due to my being an attorney and the level of detail that requires. That, plus my previous experience, economics background, basically running the books for several charities, "habit of incredible work ethic" (not my words), and "ability to present complicated topics both understandably and effortlessly," "seem to work in your [my] favor."

My pride, and ego are killing me. From a personal standpoint, I don't give a damn about the lesser amount of money I'd be making in my position as an attorney (though how the fuck I make LESS as an attorney, I'll never know). Though from a practical standpoint, I have to care about making less money when paying off law school and meeting work expenses. Being a FULL TIME Licensed Practicing Attorney has been a dream of mine for decades, since I was a little kid. I enjoy being excellent at what I do and making the opposing counsel hate me for pointing out opposing counsel's incompetence. I enjoy taking down corrupt police officers by exposing the fact that they fucking lie on the stand (until and unless they are able to be writing a speeding ticket in one place and making an arrest in another, different place at the same time). Somebody fucking has to give a shit about Justice and if not an attorney then who? Being an attorney means something to me and yes my foolish pride is wrapped up in that immensely. Nobody goes to medical school NOT to be a doctor. Same thing with law school....

I'm aware this is an incredible opportunity for me. I could make a damn good salary with actual benefits at a corporate job. You don't get that as an attorney taking cases, medical, dental, vision, retirement fund, none of it. Additionally, It's a steady, reliable paycheck coming in without having to worry if some asshole, who is not in jail because of me, will pay me or not. Additionally, being trans, if the corporate non-discrimination policy includes sexual orientation or gender identity, then it might, MIGHT actually be possible for me to transition someday instead of never. Also being in the City of Cleveland, they couldn't fire me on that basis, because of a local ordinance (and only because of said ordinance).
Actual job security and not living in constant fear of being found out as GLBT? ??? Not having to give a shit about people never hiring me again as their (incredibly god damn effective) attorney, because they don't like gays or trans people? ....

It may even end up being an opportunity for me to start my own firm in the meantime. 9-5 is nothing to me, NOTHING, because I would consider an 8 hour day a vacation.... I work a minimum of a 12 hour (incredibly unappreciated and underpaid) day and often 16 hour day. The problem is 9-5 overlaps the hours of the court 8-4.... I cant take criminal cases or really any cases that litigate if I have a 9-5 because I'd have to be at a desk instead of in court.... I could still do transactional/paperwork shit: wills, estate planning, contractual stuff etc. This would vastly reduce my areas of practice. I'd be afraid I'd lose my edge against prosecutors and grow duller by comparison. The criminal procedure, especially local rules, change often enough that you have to keep practicing and actually doing it to know it. That said, I could really start my own transactional firm for nights and weekend appointments, which working people might find more convenient anyhow. I wouldn't rent an office, because screw that with a day job (it would sit empty all day while I was at my day job). It might give me a chance to get a dedicated clients list in that area in the event I really could be a full time attorney again....

I'd have to brush up on Microsoft Excel, which basically means studying that instead of law for a night or three, so nothing by comparison. What's that? A system with defined rules and without crazy unpredictable variables like a jury? Easy. Also, they're talking about me being in charge of a few accountants. I think they were considering having two CPAs under me.... They would actually know what the fuck they were doing. I'd never have to worry about doing another clerk's job for them again.

I am and want to continue to be an attorney. It seems somehow that being an accountant or employed as one, is somehow more lucrative, despite me doing far, FAR less...?

The whole situation is nuts....
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 04:00:11 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41536 on: January 01, 2012, 04:20:00 pm »

... maybe see if you can swing it with the corporation to have some of the days that the courts are open, off? Say swap thursday-friday for staturday-sunday, or something like that. At the very least make inquiry as to if it'd be a possibility, I'd say. Sometimes that kind of thing can happen. Might be able to do hour shifts, too, at least some days. Depends on what you'd be doing as a CPA and how much your actual presence is needed during the standard work hours.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41537 on: January 01, 2012, 04:31:00 pm »

Honestly, Truean? Sell out, at least temporarily.

It may even end up being an opportunity for me to start my own firm in the meantime. 9-5 is nothing to me, NOTHING, because I would consider an 8 hour day a vacation.... I work a minimum of a 12 hour (incredibly unappreciated and underpaid) day and often 16 hour day. The problem is 9-5 overlaps the hours of the court 8-4.... I cant take criminal cases or really any cases that litigate if I have a 9-5 because I'd have to be at a desk instead of in court.... I could still do transactional/paperwork shit: wills, estate planning, contractual stuff etc. This would vastly reduce my areas of practice. I'd be afraid I'd lose my edge against prosecutors and grow duller by comparison. The criminal procedure, especially local rules, change often enough that you have to keep practicing and actually doing it to know it. That said, I could really start my own transactional firm for nights and weekend appointments, which working people might find more convenient anyhow. I wouldn't rent an office, because screw that with a day job (it would sit empty all day while I was at my day job). It might give me a chance to get a dedicated clients list in that area in the event I really could be a full time attorney again....

This idea here -- as long as you're not under some kind of exclusivity contract -- sounds like the most practical way for you to raise capital and still be able to offer your services in some manner. What you may lose in edge for courtroom procedure will more than be made up for in your ability to forge a new path for yourself that doesn't involve you being shackled to a law office that is essentially hostile to you. The energy you're using now to fuel your 16 hour days can be easily split between a 9-5 position, and then some night work on the side.

You can't underestimate cash flow as a means to enhance your ability to get things done. And you will slowly be working away at getting yourself into a better position with clients and and connections of your own. You can work toward goals that you wouldn't have thought possible before, and it just might take you a little bit longer to get there. Or it might even be shorter.

I don't know, it just sounds like a practical way to do it, in my opinion.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41538 on: January 01, 2012, 04:32:48 pm »

Yeah, take a vacation until you got your debts paid at least, I think.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41539 on: January 01, 2012, 08:46:58 pm »

I've got to agree with the above sentiments. If you take time to a) take care of yourself, b) take care of your debts, and c) use some newfound free time to wrangle up some clients, you'll be a sharper attorney than ever before. You're staring into the face of an opportunity to get closer than you've ever been to what you really want to be, and all you have to do is grasp it. It will take some time, and you'll have to learn a new skill or two while you wait until you can truly get on your own feet as far as practicing law goes, but you have the chance to really get started in making the world a better place.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #41540 on: January 01, 2012, 09:50:23 pm »

Aye, financial stability is a plus. You can probably maintain your skills, if not improve them, with your extra free time. It's a good opportunity.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #41541 on: January 02, 2012, 03:54:05 am »

Well this year is off to a great fucking start.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41542 on: January 02, 2012, 03:55:19 am »

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #41543 on: January 02, 2012, 07:44:39 am »

I tried to make video to youtube but I failed every single time I rendered it. No sound, sound too low, no video, corrupted video, too low quality, footage zooming failure. Then I finally succeeded at getting both video and audio and I uploaded it to youtube. It took 16 hours. After its done youtube says that I have removed the video. No Problem I'll try again. I watch the vid once and notice that soon after the great start it start to lag like hell for no reason. Ugh, I give up.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41544 on: January 02, 2012, 03:34:40 pm »

I didn't realize Toady was actually going to move the Time Capsule thread! I feel awful about missing an opportunity whilst simultaniously knowing I never would have posted anything regardless because last time I did I failed utterly. Ah well.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41546 on: January 02, 2012, 09:29:02 pm »

This is way more of a tearjerker than it has any right to be.

Oh gog, the guilty laughter, the guilty laughter!

I should probably try The Sims 3 at some point.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41547 on: January 02, 2012, 09:29:15 pm »

My lower abdomen is cramped. Each time I try to curl upwards, or stand up, my muscles solidify and start to hurt. It is very annoying.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41548 on: January 02, 2012, 09:31:36 pm »

This is way more of a tearjerker than it has any right to be.
Some parts are sad, but it's hard to not laugh when Kev practices his ninja-kick abilities.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41549 on: January 02, 2012, 09:31:36 pm »

You are obviously feeling your first ever male period.
Pages: 1 ... 2768 2769 [2770] 2771 2772 ... 8167