Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2764 2765 [2766] 2767 2768 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450122 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41475 on: December 30, 2011, 05:53:45 pm »

Accurate? Pretty much.
This is a blank sig.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41476 on: December 30, 2011, 05:55:49 pm »

Instead of just combining to form a new solar system, millions of stars were flung into the abyss in all directions, and what remained looked like an absolute mess.  Is it accurate?  Maybe, maybe not, I dunno.
For anything resembling detail? I doubt it.

I'd need to do a lot of checking to be sure, but the step size required for accurate two body simulations on that scale - let alone many-body interactions like that - would be short enough the simulation would take more computer time like that.

Unless maybe you are gaming on a Cray.

Or the program doesn't actually simulate anything and just replays shortened versions of previously simulated scenarios. Or they rig it to give the right answer from simplified starting conditions.

As for what I remember from more detailed simulations... Maybe not a million miles from the truth anyway.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41477 on: December 30, 2011, 07:48:33 pm »

So my grandpa probably only has a few more hours to a day left to live, but at least I managed to get half the night off work to go see him. Hopefully somebody can cover for me tomorrow if necessary. I dunno if I've said this before or not, but he's a pretty awesome guy, and I'm gonna miss him. Once again, mortality makes clear its reality and I can't do shit about it. Times like these make me wish for some strange aeons.

Also, I seem to have ruined my desktop's ability to boot properly, but that is kind of minor at the moment.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41478 on: December 30, 2011, 10:46:04 pm »

Brainpower and creativity are flat today. Probably not going to do anything with the story for Vector. Sorry, Vec.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #41479 on: December 31, 2011, 12:36:48 am »

Bought Universe Sandbox on sale on Steam and tried it out.  First it crashes because apparently there's an issue with simulating our solar system.  The other preloaded simulations are fine though.  What made me really sad was the galaxy collision simulation, a.k.a. our galaxy and Andromeda.  Instead of just combining to form a new solar systemgalaxy, millions of stars were flung into the abyss in all directions, and what remained looked like an absolute mess.  Is it accurate?  Maybe, maybe not, I dunno.
More accurate version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heUUT4qlE9o
Done by NASA on an actual supercomputer.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #41480 on: December 31, 2011, 12:41:54 am »

Sorry to hear that, Bauglir. I hope he's comfortable.   :-\

Re: Stonefacedness: Is it 'normal' to be able to just shut yourself off? I can stop making expressions whenever I want, for example. (Somewhat as Pnx described.) In addition, if there's a loud noise like a baby crying incessantly, I just stop paying attention to my ears. I always win games of quarters because I decide to stop feeling my knuckles. It's somewhat useful, but it tends to weird some people out.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41481 on: December 31, 2011, 01:34:41 am »

I have no idea if it's normal or not.  I can't filter out even "mild and unirritating" things like fans or rain, though, so it sounds like your problem is unrelated.

If the easy shortcut to "turn off facial expressions" doesn't also have a powerful desire to walk in little circles or flap your hands attached (or similar--you would know), I wouldn't worry about it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:37:23 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #41482 on: December 31, 2011, 01:51:15 am »

Eh, just curiosity.

This post isn't actually sad, but it's about a previous sad-thread post. My dad has had the following heart problems.

1. Bacteria from an infected tooth traveled to his heart, causing a heart attack. He survived this, fortunately.
2. For about a year, he was normal except for a rapidly expanding left ventricle. While the muscle was getting bigger, it was becoming more irregular and blood flow suffered.
3. For 10 years, he had a plutonium-powered pacemaker. At the end of this time, it shocked him six times as he called 911 to go to the hospital.
4. He spent 6 months there until he got a Left Ventricular Assistance Device, or LVAD. This was a small pump that was attached to his heart to cause blood to flow constantly. For a time, he had no pulse and was battery-operated.
5. About 7 months ago, he finally went in for a real new heart. There had been three other calls, but the hearts previous were always the wrong blood type. (I had to keep reminding him to B Positive.) After the surgery, he was in the ICU for two weeks, and then held two more until the excess fluids drained from the area.
6. He went home, and a week later the remaining fluids caused an infection. Back to the hospital for two more weeks.
7. He reached his current state, where he has the option of going back to work. He can run, jump, and do just about anything. Only downside is that he has to take $6,000 worth of pills every month so that his body won't try to spit out his new heart.

I guess there's a sad part, after all. I have to wash my hands before I can hug him. It's great that I'm able to do so at all, though. The last 12-ish years haven't been kind to him.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41483 on: December 31, 2011, 02:07:06 am »

I seem to be anemic, which is putting me in a bad mood and making me not want to work.  Been awake only 11 hours and I'm seriously tired.  I feel old and exhausted and obsessive.  Thank you, brain, for making me nuts about detective novels when I really should be nuts about measure theory or rhetoric or something.  I hate you so much, you and your constant pointless observing and theorizing.

Oh, and I'm losing weight, which is actually good but it feels kind of shitty to just pretty much lose interest in eating, which is what is happening right now.

What a mess.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #41484 on: December 31, 2011, 02:36:39 am »

I seem to be anemic
...snip...
  Thank you, brain, for making me nuts about detective novels when I really should be nuts about nuts
Fixed that for you~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41485 on: December 31, 2011, 05:04:48 am »

I now know what an anxiety attack feels like.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41486 on: December 31, 2011, 05:47:13 am »

It's that time of the day for me again. I'm starting to feel hollow; hobbies and other activities are starting to feel like purposeless endeavors.

I know enough that what I'm doing isn't useless, so it's just my brain having a chemical imbalance. This sucks.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #41487 on: December 31, 2011, 07:04:17 am »

No results for Lemaitre on TPB.
:(

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41488 on: December 31, 2011, 09:47:22 am »

So I'm finally getting around to playing some Duels of the Planeswalkers, and I meet a rare mythical person that is actually nice and cool to play with, and we're playing a few games. We get to a junction where it looks like I'm going to win, and then he plays a spell that stops me, and as I'm typing my humorous response to it as I actually find it funny since I prematurely threw up a GG, ARGH GAME CRASHES AND MAKES IT LOOK LIKE I RAGE QUIT! GODDAMNIT GAME!

It's hard enough to make friends already without stupid things tripping me up!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41489 on: December 31, 2011, 10:36:00 am »

I'm having a liquefied bowel movement as I type. This sucks.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 2764 2765 [2766] 2767 2768 ... 8167