Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2763 2764 [2765] 2766 2767 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449937 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41460 on: December 30, 2011, 03:40:55 pm »

I'm being sexually harassed at work. One of my coworkers just cannot refrain from touching me. I've had my chest grabbed ("Ooh lemme feel your bird chest"), my shoulders rubbed, and today she smacked my ass. I know she's a lesbian, so there isn't anything actually sexual behind it, but when I have repeatedly and explicitly stated that I do not like to be touched, please do not touch me, and I keep getting touched there is something wrong. I don't think this is going to stop unless I register an official complaint or flip the fuck out about it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41461 on: December 30, 2011, 03:42:31 pm »

I'm being sexually harassed at work. One of my coworkers just cannot refrain from touching me. I've had my chest grabbed ("Ooh lemme feel your bird chest"), my shoulders rubbed, and today she smacked my ass. I know she's a lesbian, so there isn't anything actually sexual behind it, but when I have repeatedly and explicitly stated that I do not like to be touched, please do not touch me, and I keep getting touched there is something wrong. I don't think this is going to stop unless I register an official complaint or flip the fuck out about it.

Ugh.  I'm so sorry.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41462 on: December 30, 2011, 03:48:30 pm »

Sounds like it's time to do exactly that: file an official complaint.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41463 on: December 30, 2011, 03:49:24 pm »

Hopefully he doesn't work at a job where they assume sexual harassment is a one-way street.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #41464 on: December 30, 2011, 03:54:33 pm »

It's a small company in the South and the Executive Officer already doesn't like me because I'm an atheist.

We shall see, because I'm not putting up with another day of it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41465 on: December 30, 2011, 03:57:59 pm »

Have you tried shutting off your face and saying "cut it out" or "you need to stop touching me?"

I realize that apparently "shutting off your face" is a weird thing to think about for "normal people," but I don't know where you are anyway.  This has semi-worked for me at other times, though, so I figgered I'd ask.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #41466 on: December 30, 2011, 04:08:57 pm »

You mean like covering it with my palms? No, I haven't tried it, but it sounds like a good blocking gesture. I've tried being forceful and direct. Unwavering eye contact, explicit wording, stern intonation. Maybe showing her how uncomfortable it makes me would get her to stop. She obviously doesn't think I'm serious.

I'm not worried about anyone thinking I'm weird though. If they haven't figured that out by now they're never going to. :p

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41467 on: December 30, 2011, 04:11:13 pm »

Vector, do you mean the blank face? The dead-serious, not-kidding, ignore everything but my words because thats the only signal I'm giving you right now face?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41468 on: December 30, 2011, 04:16:03 pm »

Oh, no.  I mean just ... man, sorry, this is terrible advice.  I and the other non-neurotypical people I know can generally "unplug" our social skills at a moment's notice, which involves a total flattening of all facial expression (amongst other things--my posture tends to go a bit lop-sided, for example).  Total social disengagement.

For me, at least, this also has the enormous advantage of clocking up the rest of my brain power, because it's no longer being busied with social reading and attempts to make sense.

Vector, do you mean the blank face? The dead-serious, not-kidding, ignore everything but my words because thats the only signal I'm giving you right now face?

Sort of, see above.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41469 on: December 30, 2011, 04:24:50 pm »

What the hell makes Google think that forcing people to use a mobile phone to register a new youtube account is a good idea? I realize that they are are numerous, and useful. I realize that many people have them. However, I never plan on giving Google my number.

Ever.

And this is putting a real damper on my efforts to upload my [S]-like thing for my new fan adventure. :(

You might be able to do it the old way.

Register a normal Google account, use it for Youtube.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #41470 on: December 30, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »

Oh, no.  I mean just ... man, sorry, this is terrible advice.  I and the other non-neurotypical people I know can generally "unplug" our social skills at a moment's notice, which involves a total flattening of all facial expression (amongst other things--my posture tends to go a bit lop-sided, for example).  Total social disengagement.
Actually... that's not bad advice at all. It'd probably freak her out a little, assuming I can erase my social cues while in a state of shock and embarrassment. Otherwise, I'm not really known for my expressiveness.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #41471 on: December 30, 2011, 04:47:41 pm »

Isn't that typically referred to as being stone-faced, or am I misunderstanding?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41472 on: December 30, 2011, 04:50:54 pm »

Except being stone-faced generally implies you put in effort to prevent expressions, for people like us it's more like you stop putting in the effort to make expressions. It's not something that's easy to describe.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #41473 on: December 30, 2011, 04:54:44 pm »

Except being stone-faced generally implies you put in effort to prevent expressions, for people like us it's more like you stop putting in the effort to make expressions. It's not something that's easy to describe.

That makes sense.  Thanks.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41474 on: December 30, 2011, 05:47:16 pm »

Bought Universe Sandbox on sale on Steam and tried it out.  First it crashes because apparently there's an issue with simulating our solar system.  The other preloaded simulations are fine though.  What made me really sad was the galaxy collision simulation, a.k.a. our galaxy and Andromeda.  Instead of just combining to form a new solar systemgalaxy, millions of stars were flung into the abyss in all directions, and what remained looked like an absolute mess.  Is it accurate?  Maybe, maybe not, I dunno.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:53:32 pm by Euld »
Pages: 1 ... 2763 2764 [2765] 2766 2767 ... 8167