Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2759 2760 [2761] 2762 2763 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448482 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41400 on: December 29, 2011, 12:42:06 pm »

The two women are forced to work together when the chief throws his hands up in the air and declares that the only thing he can think of that will temper these two "roguish detectives" is to make them work as a team. Little does he know that he has inadvertently created even more headaches for himself ...

-snip-

- Legally, they have full rights to be detectives. Culturally, they will run up against problems in this area. especially when they butt up against social norms.

-snip-

Edit 2: I just want to make sure to put a giant FEEL FREE TO USE THIS IDEA, BE FREE stamp here. Just so that there are no copyright confusions or anything in the future.
Queue Bigoted closet-homosexual police chief with an anger for all women after going through one hell of a divorce! The drama!

Chief of Police: "Why are there goddamn ladies on my goddamn police force? The prime minister must be as stupid as he is ugly! Actually, you know what? I'm not dealing with this. I'm assigning you to a group so I only have to deal with your lady-nonsense half the time. I don't even want to deal with you two to begin with!"
Personally I would have sidestepped the whole sexism troubles thing. I mean, do they really have to be warriors against sexism? Can't they just be a really good detective duo?

I like strong female characters, they tend to be more interesting than male ones, but when female characters are awesome female characters battling a sexist world, it seems more sexist than if they were just awesome female characters.

But I don't know, that's just me... Maybe my subconscious is secretly anti-feminist or something.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41401 on: December 29, 2011, 01:20:04 pm »

I found out I have to go to a meeting or something for 5 hours or so (they can't even predict how long it'll take) that I won't even do or say anything in. My main responsibility is already covered there so I'm wondering why I should even bother going.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41402 on: December 29, 2011, 01:20:59 pm »

I feel ye there Truean.

Because my friend is pretty, smart, actualy single, but smoked pot yesterday with some dirty smelly hipsters, which makes me real sad.

Because I'm an idiot who cares about the wrong things.
I know smoking pot isn't the end of the world, fuck, I'm in college, 15% of everyone I talk to (specially the art students) smoke pot, it just so happens that most of them are massive failures. Life gave me a real bad view of drugs in general, including pot. I know one awesome and successful doctor that does smoke pot, but he's considerably above the general people as a person. Its not like I don't think my friend is awesome and above average, but he's been washing dishes for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week for a while now, I'm just scared of what his life might look like in a few years, and it makes me real mad that I can't do anything but try to talk to him, I'm not his parents (and his parents are real reasonable medical degree tier people, who probably think having an apartment will infuse him with some shred of maturity) I have no power beyond friendship, I can't force him to do anything.

And you know whats even more unfair? He's the only guy I find interesting. College is a fucking desert full of ugly idiots and the guys that actualy look decent are the massively flamboyant kind I have trouble being around because they expect me to act the same way. I don't mind some feminine traces, hell, I love those things, but being so flamboyant you make kurt from glee look manly isn't bearable. I'm a handicapped gay, lacking lisp and flamboyant-ness (mostly).

Sometimes I feel like an idiot for actualy caring, but I just do, because I'm an idiot.
[rant]
I have a bad view of drugs, unapologetically. Do you know how many clients I've had on various levels of that shit. I also don't care what anyone says or how they say it, it's all addictive, all of it. I'm pretty sure I've complained about clients showing up to court high here on this thread. If "you can quit anytime you want," then why the hell didn't you just lay off for that day after I specifically asked you...?

You know what's pissed off, looking straight at you, and not amused? The Judge....

I don't care about legal or illegal; I've seen it ruin too many people, yes ruin them. If you can't not show up to court baked for one day, then there's shit I can do to help you and it really isn't on me.... I really don't care if people think I'm an asshole for it. Also don't tell me you can't pay me when I know you spent all your damn money on more pot, cause you'd rather be baked.... I don't care if there are people who can handle it, or whatever. Don't care; not gonna care. I've only seen the ones who can't--a lot of them. They tend to end up screwing me over.[/rant]

My cynicism does know bounds but consciously disregards them every day except Tuesday, which this is not. I try not to look too close at people, in college or otherwise, because I find many of them are idiots and suck in various ways. From the friend who doesn't remember that you held her hair back after she got totally wasted and thereby ruined your night (unless you enjoy watching someone puke and dry heave for an hour and then making sure they don't die/get messed up worse), to the equally inconsiderate assholes in your group project who sit by and let you do all the work, Said assholes look on in astonishment when I eventually just lied about doing everything  or anything after the 6th time they pulled this and either willfully took the F while forcing the entire group down with me or pulled it out of my ass at the last minute, saving their sorry asses along with mine and giving them a heart attack. My grades could take it and did; theirs couldn't.

Romantically, I find many men similar to these guys, because to me all people are equally annoying and ready to screw you over until proven otherwise. The ones who try to take advantage of me or other girls, confuse the crap out of me. It will eventually get "there," if you're a decent human being, interesting to talk to, and cute doesn't hurt your chances either. Please don't rush me, because it makes me think you'll run away after as fast as you ran to get here....

Legally, it's amazing that even when I provide FREE services to people, they still can't be bothered to get off their dead asses for any small little thing. I helped someone out interpreting a contract. A good thing I did, because that shit was poison on paper. At the time, i was switching malpractice insurance carriers so the long and short of it is, I needed the guy to sign and date a a paper saying he knew I didn't have attorney malpractice insurance at the time. <--- That's it. That's all I wanted and I only wanted it to cover my own ass, because if you don't do that, then the state bar will eat your face right the hell off you. No excuses, shut the hell up. Sign it, date it, and get it back to me before I can help you. he got pissed I wouldn't tell him jack until he got the form in. <--- the "it's just paperowork," attitude is what screwed you over with this contract in the first place.... ??? It was free, sign and date a piece of paper... that's it. Come on man....

This was all I wanted him to sign so my own ass would be covered by the book:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It took him 10 days to sign it and he wanted me to counsel him before I got it.... Gah. Really? It's free dude. Just let me cover my own ass.... You're really gonna make it difficult for me to provide charity to you? ???
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:33:31 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41403 on: December 29, 2011, 01:37:03 pm »

I don't care if there are people who can handle it, or whatever. Don't care; not gonna care. I've only seen the ones who can't--a lot of them. They tend to end up screwing me over.[/rant]
Obligatory "bright side" comment! It could have been worse.

They could have been drunk.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41404 on: December 29, 2011, 01:40:46 pm »

I don't care if there are people who can handle it, or whatever. Don't care; not gonna care. I've only seen the ones who can't--a lot of them. They tend to end up screwing me over.[/rant]
Obligatory "bright side" comment! It could have been worse.

They could have been drunk.

They often were. Guy in court failed the breathalyzer test too.... :)

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41405 on: December 29, 2011, 01:41:07 pm »

Truean, be careful of the confirmation bias, there. I've noticed a lot of your anger lately seems to stem from this - just because you see a lot of people with problems doesn't mean a lot of people have those problems! Remember, the whole reason you see many of the people you do is because they have problems!

]I've only seen the ones who can't
How, exactly, would you know? By definition, you shouldn't notice the ones who don't have this problem.

I know smoking pot isn't the end of the world, fuck, I'm in college, 15% of everyone I talk to (specially the art students) smoke pot, it just so happens that most of them are massive failures.
Sorry, kid. The numbers really don't bear this out. For one thing, the actual numbers indicate that about 70% of college students smoke pot occassionally, and 50% regularly. (though the number varies by college, it usually isn't lower than 30%) (This is from a 2005 study, those numbers may have changed. I'd imagine not a whole lot, though)

Second, plenty of successful people smoke - but the traits that make them successful are the same traits that insure you'll probably have no idea that they do so.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41406 on: December 29, 2011, 01:42:26 pm »

Truean, be careful of the confirmation bias, there.

Yes, this also makes me sad, because I'm sure it's true.

Perhaps, I am a tad too sour.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:57:32 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41407 on: December 29, 2011, 02:00:07 pm »

@Truean: Fuck, this all reminds me of when one of my teachers (who's an actual doctor, as in, doctorate) was just fixing this rich real state business man who also owns a succesful chain of hotels's divorce, when not only does the guy arrives late in court, but actualy makes a full retard tier agreement with his wive's lawyer giving her the rights over a very succesful succesful hotel of his, which easily generates over 150k per month, with maintenance costs covered and all. He probably wouldn't even have to pay half that if he had just listened to my teacher, but noooo, its all unlimited disposable income to him I guess, hope he's happy with losing 20% of his business.

I also feel you on the college part. This year I basically carried two girls on my back through all the papers and some tests. On this one presentation, we had to describe and explain the paper in detail and stuff, and everyone came dressed properly and looking all pretty. Turns out I end up speaking for 75% of the whole time while they stutter and fuck up with their part (which was the easiest of the whole paper), one of them even arrived late because apparently her granpa "was really sick". Now I don't sound heartless or anything, but I don't think your granpa being sick makes it impossible for you to read 3 pages on a rather simple subject. But I cant complain, at least they do me small favors when I ask them and I don't have to watch them get wasted in parties cause I'd probably die of boredom if I went anywhere with them and have to deal with their retarded friends. My other friends aren't so interesting either but at least they can take care of their own lives properly.

Anyway, back to my stupidity. On the day my jerk of a friend was smoking cheap pot with smelly hipsters, he had just come back home from his work (washing dishes, glorious isn't it?). I said hi on steam as I usualy do and he didn't respond. I  thought he was tired and stuff, so I decided to not bother him much. A few hours later he goes "I'm busy playing a board game k, don't say anything dumb", then I found out about the retarded hipsters and cheap pot part in the next day, so I go "excuse me, WTF are you doing?" and he gets mad at me, for actualy worrying about him.

I guess I can't compete with smelly potheads. Offering cheap pot > caring about someone's future.

It goes without saying that I do have a personal problem with potheads. On my second year of college I met this one reasonably pretty and interesting guy, and started talking and walking with him during breaks. Then one day as we walk around normaly, one of his friends gives him something and he takes his lighter out and starts smoking it. I don't have a big problem with smokers, but then he offers me some and I realize its a blunt. Fuck, really? You're offering me pot and blowing that smelly shit all over my shoulders? Fuck you bitch, enjoy being a failure. Turns out he was in gastronomy, so I shouldn't be surprised. Nothing against you real, professional cooks people who might read this, but fuck, almost every gastronomy student I've seen is someone who failed to do everything else and isn't enough of a hipster to try art school.

I know smoking pot isn't the end of the world, fuck, I'm in college, 15% of everyone I talk to (specially the art students) smoke pot, it just so happens that most of them are massive failures.
Sorry, kid. The numbers really don't bear this out. For one thing, the actual numbers indicate that about 70% of college students smoke pot occassionally, and 50% regularly. (though the number varies by college, it usually isn't lower than 30%) (This is from a 2005 study, those numbers may have changed. I'd imagine not a whole lot, though)

Second, plenty of successful people smoke - but the traits that make them successful are the same traits that insure you'll probably have no idea that they do so.
[/quote]

Yea, people washing dishes as their main job, thinking of dropping out, being hungry all the time, smoking pot, suddenly supertramp lyrics make sense. Bright future is guaranteeeeeed.

I guess when you're in law school you're forced to adapt to a harsher environment due to the formalities involved, and you eventualy get a harsher view of society because you learn how it and the state and laws work in unison, and it isn't exactly super pretty. So you get more worried about messing up, and real worried when your friends mess up.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:08:08 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41408 on: December 29, 2011, 02:15:04 pm »

Yea, people washing dishes as their main job, thinking of dropping out, being hungry all the time, smoking pot, suddenly supertramp lyrics make sense. Bright future is guaranteeeeeed.

Yes, because I'm sure smoking pot is the primary cause of all those problems. Only thing that's more likely to make you a failure in life is video games - you wouldn't believe all the loser slobs I run into who play shit tons of video games.

Everyone knows successful people do cocaine and adderall! Tell your druggy friend to get his priorities straight!

I don't have a big problem with smokers, but then he offers me some and I realize its a blunt. Fuck, really? You're offering me pot and blowing that smelly shit all over my shoulders? Fuck you bitch, enjoy being a failure.
Yes, fuck that bitch for trying to share. How dare they offer you something they were enjoying. It is just terrible. The audacity of some people. Now this interesting pretty guy is definitely not any of those things. That will show HIM to do things I disapprove of and invite me to partake, not realizing how adamantly opposed to it I was.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:19:43 pm by GlyphGryph »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41409 on: December 29, 2011, 02:21:03 pm »

I'm certain smoking pot isn't going to improve it any bit. Enjoy smelling like lawnmower refuse all day and having diminished higher brain activity.

At least stimulants make you badass before they destroy you in the next months, while pot just makes you lazy and smelly slowly over the course of years.

Sorry, I'm not a fan of things that artificaly alter my perception, which pot does, unless you're smoking the shitty cheap one that just makes smoke and smells like crap.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:24:17 pm by Dakk »
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41410 on: December 29, 2011, 02:22:33 pm »

Things that make me sad:
The sad thread.

I really should stop reading this thing. :/

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41411 on: December 29, 2011, 02:26:58 pm »

Meh, I'm pretty sure we as a species could probably handle stuff like that in moderation. My snark and experiences (some of which are probably confirmation bias) just prevent me from thinking we can really do moderation well. At least it keeps me from thinking that a large portion of the population can do moderation well. [shrugs] I dunno. The only ones I see are those with huge problems. Again, I confess there's probably some confirmation bias in there. "Hammers see everything as nails" and all that.... I shall make a conscious effort to stow away the snark for now.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:28:57 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #41412 on: December 29, 2011, 02:28:39 pm »

I'm certain smoking pot isn't going to improve it any bit. Enjoy smelling like lawnmower refuse all day and having diminished higher brain activity.

At least stimulants make you badass before they destroy you in the next months, while pot just makes you lazy and smelly slowly over the course of years.

It can also calms your nerves, treat glaucoma, blood pressure, some depression, some anxiety, nausea and some eating disorders. Its been over a decade since I smoked, but it never screwed me up like that. It has a lot of medicinal uses and it is not chemically addictive (doesn't stop it from being psychologically addictive, especially for people that use it as their sole escape from an otherwise horrible life) and is safer than alcohol tobacco and many prescription medicines.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41413 on: December 29, 2011, 02:29:05 pm »

Sorry, I'm not a fan of things that artificaly alter my perception, which pot does, unless you're smoking the shitty cheap one that just makes smoke and smells like crap.
Glad to see your vehement distaste for marijuana is only matched by your equal disdain of alcohol. I'm glad when that happens.

Thumbs up for the implied dislike of people relying on cannabis to relieve nerve-related pain, by the way. Consistency is important!

Now get out there and combat stuff like slot machines. Your work is not nearly complete. Edit: I think you've got to stop world hunger and find a way to forever prevent fevers and other naturally occurring altered perception states, too. Big job! The ambition here is admirable in its scope.

Things that make me sad:
The sad thread.

I really should stop reading this thing. :/
But then you wouldn't be sad! A full range of emotional input broadens the depth of your personal experience. Have you experienced mind shattering despair lately? They tell me it's actually a good thing in small doses!

I think I'm half joking, somewhere in there. Maybe quarter joking. Or variably joking depending on my mood. Joking quotient = X, where X is however much I construe it to be at that moment.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:32:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41414 on: December 29, 2011, 02:32:10 pm »

Hey, don't blame me, blame all the pot smokers around me giving me a very bad view of pot smoking and drugs in general. With one exception that probably doesn't count since he only started doing it after he already had stablished himself as a succesful doctor.

Also, when did I imply cigarettes and alcohol are good? I'm expressing my distaste for pot and drugs in general, thankfuly none of my friends have serious problems with smoking and alcohol. But I guess hoping the best for my friends is too narrow minded of me man, pass me that blunt.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Pages: 1 ... 2759 2760 [2761] 2762 2763 ... 8167