Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2758 2759 [2760] 2761 2762 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447719 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41385 on: December 29, 2011, 02:59:57 am »

I would also probably make {A} a little more gruff than you would. You know, make a brains/brawn dichotomy in the pair. She'd be smarter than your average joe, but less inclined to use her wits unless she had to. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41386 on: December 29, 2011, 03:02:14 am »

NOT ENOUGH SADNESS IN THIS THREAD! RE-RAILING!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41387 on: December 29, 2011, 03:07:47 am »

Three days later:

MaxZ: "I proudly present to you - the Mystery of the Enticing Cologne!"
Vector: D:
Love, scriver~

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41388 on: December 29, 2011, 03:20:56 am »

Three days later:

MaxZ: "I proudly present to you - the Mystery of the Enticing Cologne!"
Vector: D:
Aww, bad dreams for sure now. Thanks. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41389 on: December 29, 2011, 04:51:29 am »

Ehhh, is it bad if I mention that every brittish series I've watched seems to at least have some sexism tones towards women?
TPratchett... wait that's a book series.

The only one that escapes this in my mind is Doctor Who.
There are literally episodes that make fun of the Doctor's lack of sexism. It escapes it and then some.

The two women are forced to work together when the chief throws his hands up in the air and declares that the only thing he can think of that will temper these two "roguish detectives" is to make them work as a team. Little does he know that he has inadvertently created even more headaches for himself ...

-snip-

- Legally, they have full rights to be detectives. Culturally, they will run up against problems in this area. especially when they butt up against social norms.

-snip-

Edit 2: I just want to make sure to put a giant FEEL FREE TO USE THIS IDEA, BE FREE stamp here. Just so that there are no copyright confusions or anything in the future.
Queue Bigoted closet-homosexual police chief with an anger for all women after going through one hell of a divorce! The drama!

Chief of Police: "Why are there goddamn ladies on my goddamn police force? The prime minister must be as stupid as he is ugly! Actually, you know what? I'm not dealing with this. I'm assigning you to a group so I only have to deal with your lady-nonsense half the time. I don't even want to deal with you two to begin with!"
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:04:14 am by Heliman »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41390 on: December 29, 2011, 05:46:28 am »

Rule 34 by Charles Stross.

Three main viewpoint characters;
- Lesbian detective on the Rule 34 squad (memetic crime watch).
- Male Muslim family man ex-con who happens to enjoy the occasional pint and male company.
- High functioning psychopath evil bastard coordinator for shadowy crime organisation.

Oh, and the book is written in the second person. Sample three chapters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41391 on: December 29, 2011, 10:55:34 am »

Well, I guess my old childhood friend who used to be in love with me is seeing Tintin with his family and doesn't want to visit this winter break.

Oh, well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41392 on: December 29, 2011, 11:01:28 am »

In the second least helpful of gestures of sympathy, I offer internet hugs.

EDIT: The least helpful is a live badger up the nose, to distract you from your problems.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:14:51 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41393 on: December 29, 2011, 11:29:21 am »

In the second least helpful of gestures of sympathy, I offer internet hugs.

*hug*

"Childhood friend who was in love with me" means here "brilliant young man who liked me even before I learned how to socialize."  We were in fact put in the same class together because he was considered the only person in the entire elementary school who could provide me company.  If we'd ever gotten to know each other really well and he'd managed to do something about flaunting his class privilege, things might be different now.

I've met four new people in my life so far that really understood me.  Thyme is busy doing Thyme-things and having a boyfriend.  I broke up with Rosewood and by extension lost his brother.  That's pretty much it.  I have two friends at the university, but I never got the feeling that they actually had a good handle on who "I" was.  This guy is the fourth one, and the first one I met.

I feel like such a fool.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41394 on: December 29, 2011, 11:58:38 am »

At least you kinda sorta have all of us-ish.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41395 on: December 29, 2011, 12:03:39 pm »

Yeah.  It's good, and very helpful.  Just not quite the same.

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #41396 on: December 29, 2011, 12:08:32 pm »

Got 3.5hrs of sleep last night, due to sleep training our 5 month old boy. I love the poo out of him; I wish we knew if we were doing the right thing. There are so many contrary ideologies out there about sleep training, no amount of research is enough. And we have done so much.

@Vector; Having 4 people who really knew you.. I think that's pretty good actually. I only have 3 myself. Feeling lonely can be so motivation-sucking.. try to hang in there. How goes your project on making something?
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41397 on: December 29, 2011, 12:10:16 pm »

Hey, look on the bright side Vec, such as it is. Could be worse! You've managed 3.5 more meaningful connections than I have. Living in an area where being open with other people is entirely too likely to result in (possibly grievous) physical injury has unfortunate side effects, I guess.

S'good thing it's left me mostly incapable of feeling regret. A little bit of nostalgia for what could have been, but nothing heavier than that. Largely excised the capability for anger, too, which I appreciate. Would have been nice to have the luxury of it, but that could have ended up with me dead or maimed. *vague shrug*

Not sure if it's appropriate, but I'm quite fond of this old English saying, whose author I've forgotten:
"For every evil under the sun,
there is a cure, or there is none.
If there be one, go and find it.
If there be none, never mind it."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #41398 on: December 29, 2011, 12:16:58 pm »

Yea, 4 people really knowing you is awesome. I have zero.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41399 on: December 29, 2011, 12:30:07 pm »

I've been with someone for over 10 years now, and I still don't feel like she knows me completely.  Zero friends or family to fall back on, too.  :(   So, yeah.  What everyone else said. 
Pages: 1 ... 2758 2759 [2760] 2761 2762 ... 8167