Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2757 2758 [2759] 2760 2761 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446930 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41370 on: December 28, 2011, 11:35:23 pm »

Only if you lose weight :P

And I thought the thing was about preference, not what you classify yourself as, my bad :P
I'm mostly sane (but still mad compare to eh, normal people), most of my friends say I'm pretty, and single because I'm too much of a picky and selfish jerk to have a real relationship. I'm pretty content with myself so far though, being single makes things far simpler.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41371 on: December 28, 2011, 11:41:39 pm »

The point of clarity here is that the saying was for when you go looking for someone, not about yourself. Ferex, if you're looking for someone smart and sane, you're going to have to flip on whether they're not physically attractive to you or already in a (closed) relationship. That's what you're going to find, more likely than not, is the intent of the saying. It's one of those attributed-to-Murphy things, yeah.

S'one of those kind-of-downer things about setting high standards for yourself, or a kind-of-realism-injection that people aren't perfect, or even mostly so. A reemphasis that you're going to have to take what you can get and deal with the flaws, somehow. Unless you get tremendously lucky (you probably won't, and almost definitely won't if you think you will. That's how Murphy works.).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 11:44:23 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #41372 on: December 28, 2011, 11:44:58 pm »

I felt incredibly guilty today for daring to question (to myself) why someone was so adamantly disinterested in me (despite us getting along extremely well, with no orientation barriers) as opposed to taking this for granted. It seems that years of choosing the worst possible women to fall for (it seems like every woman I develop real affection for turns out to be gay, evil, or all-but-married) has left a deeper mark than I thought.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41373 on: December 28, 2011, 11:48:18 pm »

Does it count if I fake being smart with my social skills? People seem to think I know what I'm talking about most of the time...I mean, I do my best, but when worse comes to worse, I'm pretty good at misdirection and sidestepping questions.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41374 on: December 28, 2011, 11:55:43 pm »

On the other hand, my powerful taste for homosocial relationships with slashy undertones and pleasant Brit accents seems to have blinded me to this:

Articles one and two.

*sigh*

Ah, well... you can't win them all.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41375 on: December 28, 2011, 11:59:08 pm »

You can just say that you were enjoying them for the mysteries that they are, they're Fair For Their Day (No tvtropes links from me,) and not looking to analyze them deeply.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41376 on: December 29, 2011, 12:02:46 am »

Ehhh, is it bad if I mention that every brittish series I've watched seems to at least have some sexism tones towards women?

The only one that escapes this in my mind is Doctor Who.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41377 on: December 29, 2011, 12:07:56 am »

I have no problem with enjoying them, but I really desperately want a detective story with two blazingly awesome female leads.

And the thing is, I feel like this: "Female, queer, non-neurotypical--pick one."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41378 on: December 29, 2011, 01:26:25 am »

Haven't been able to sleep anything att all all night. Why do I have to get sleepy when it's time to get out of bed?
Love, scriver~

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41379 on: December 29, 2011, 01:30:48 am »

I have no problem with enjoying them, but I really desperately want a detective story with two blazingly awesome female leads.

And the thing is, I feel like this: "Female, queer, non-neurotypical--pick one."

Give me a synopsis and I'll get started.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41380 on: December 29, 2011, 02:27:06 am »

Give me a synopsis and I'll get started.
Two lesbian detectives must learn to work together despite favouring completely different methods in an alternate history Regency-era London where women are provisionally being allowed to be detectives due to a bet that the Prime Minister lost.

{A} is a well-read lady who is firmly progressive (by the standards of the time, and the alternate history), but comes off as being stodgy and a general stick-in-the-mud. Despite this, she has taught herself gunplay and trick-shooting from a woman from the American South who was touring London with her trick-shooting family -- and the two of them also fell in love.

{B} is a former factory working woman who is addicted to serials, mysteries, and puzzle solving. As it happens, she managed to catch the serial killer who was antagonizing her coworkers, and was given an honorary rank of detective for her brilliant solution to it ... two days before the Prime Minister said that women were allowed to do that sort of them, and retroactively made her not only part of the police, but an actual detective. Sometimes she feels out of her depth, and she is definitely a fish out of water in the police force, but flashes of brilliance are her thing and she is a definite case breaker. She is also a knife when it comes to witty banter, and she's not above crude humor.

The two women are forced to work together when the chief throws his hands up in the air and declares that the only thing he can think of that will temper these two "roguish detectives" is to make them work as a team. Little does he know that he has inadvertently created even more headaches for himself ...

Points of conflict:
- {A} and {B} butt heads all the time. {A} is highly trained and intelligent but "by the book", and {B} is intelligent and a puzzle genius but doesn't care at all about procedure.
- {A} already has a lover she's devoted to, {B} is inexperienced romantically and often gets crushes that she's been conditioned to avoid. And {B} often crushes on women who she knows she doesn't want to pursue relationships with due to the awkwardness. Like, for instance, {A}.
- Legally, they have full rights to be detectives. Culturally, they will run up against problems in this area. especially when they butt up against social norms.
- {B} is especially unliked by her fellow police officers because they can at least respect {A}'s dedication to earn her place (though many of them aren't fond of {A} either...). {B} was promoted in a display of politics.
- {A}'s relationship with the girl from America is not all sunshine and roses as that girl shares a number of traits with {B}, plus general culture shock.

This concept just needs a mystery...

Edit: The only reason I didn't include a non-neurotypical element into the mix is because I am not well versed enough in the subject to feel confident that I am not playing with completely inaccurate portrayals in the scenario. Anyone can feel free to add those elements to the mix.

Edit 2: I just want to make sure to put a giant FEEL FREE TO USE THIS IDEA, BE FREE stamp here. Just so that there are no copyright confusions or anything in the future.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:40:13 am by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41381 on: December 29, 2011, 02:37:11 am »

... throw in some steampunk and I'd totally read the hell out of that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41382 on: December 29, 2011, 02:40:27 am »

... throw in some steampunk and I'd totally read the hell out of that.

Heck, I'd read the hell out of it as-is, even without the non-neurotypical bits (they're kind of a stereotype in detective novels at this point, anyway).  Yes please!  I'd rather see a more even teamwork model than a Sherlock-Watson, Ishmael-Ahab thing anyway.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41383 on: December 29, 2011, 02:52:49 am »

I'd have to twist it a bit. I prefer swords to guns, for starters. Also, I have to read up on London. I'll think more on it while I sleep tonight. I'll probably get started on it in a few hours when I wake up with a mystery to solve. :P

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41384 on: December 29, 2011, 02:58:36 am »

Yeah, feel free to twist it. Especially since I apparently confused the era of London that I meant to say with another era in London.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 2757 2758 [2759] 2760 2761 ... 8167