Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2743 2744 [2745] 2746 2747 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452724 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41160 on: December 23, 2011, 11:03:07 am »

2+ hours of debugging and getting absolutely nowhere.

Rare but common enough to be noticeable crashes, things acting in ways that plain don't make sense, and wacky slowdown that I can't find the source of.

Argrrgabarrgragarlllgarlg.

I feel your pain.  I'm a mainframe assembler programmer.  I've spent days trying to figure out why something isn't working, going over the code again and again and seeing nothing wrong only to find that some variable somewhere wasn't long enough and the data from it is spilling over into another variable.  That's frustrating >_<

Also, things that made me sad today:
1) Having Narcolepsy and being chained to a medication in order to at least attempt to function on a daily basis.
2) Likely having to go back home and grab the rest of my stuff in the attic that I didn't take when moving out.  I'm not exactly ready to grab all that stuff, but since I'm going to almost certainly have to go home soon anyway because my mom is dying of cancer ... yeah.  It's a 3 hour drive and I don't like doing it.
3) Vegan cheese universally, in my opinion, kind of sucks. 

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41161 on: December 23, 2011, 12:12:36 pm »

I'm a mainframe assembler programmer.

My condolences.  I know this pain.

I've been a bit depressed in general the past few days.  Not sure why, but I sort of feel like I have 100 things to do and there's just not enough hours in the day.  Almost all of that is hobby related / leisure time stuff, so I'm not sure why I feel bad if I don't get around to it, but I do.  I feel obligated to put in my 30-45 minutes of Everquest every day.

Then there's the community fort I'm running but don't have time to really give the attention it needs.  And the very active RPing community fort I'm part of.  And the writing and comic book side projects I'm working on... and the mountain of unpainted Space Marine models I have...

And don't get me started on the fact that my graduate research hasn't gone anywhere in months.  And here I am at work, screwing around instead of working.  I have no motivation to do anything these days... and it's starting to worry me.  I used to be a hard worker who got stuff done.  Now... not so much.  What happened?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #41162 on: December 23, 2011, 03:20:24 pm »

Am I a bad person because I don't generally tell people merry christmas or happy holidays? Because judging by some of the looks I get at work I must be.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41163 on: December 23, 2011, 03:30:05 pm »

No, but it is a cultural convention for expressing care and affection for others.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41164 on: December 23, 2011, 04:38:33 pm »

Kindof like any other greeting.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41165 on: December 23, 2011, 05:23:35 pm »

Just seen a BBC news report about Detroit. Honestly it did not look like a city in the worlds richest and most powerful democracy.
This is a blank sig.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41166 on: December 23, 2011, 05:59:20 pm »

I'm a mainframe assembler programmer.

My condolences.  I know this pain.

Actually, I love my job.  I think out of all languages, I like assembler the best.  I just absolutely hate the town I had to move to for it :(

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41167 on: December 23, 2011, 06:02:37 pm »

TBH I probably like super nintendo assembly more than C++. The high level languages let you get stuff done fast but without precision, dammit.

Plus it's just more fun.

Anywho, I slept on my previous problem and solved all the issues under 20 minutes. Yay.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41168 on: December 23, 2011, 07:30:50 pm »

My right arm is sore for no apparent reason o_O  It's a little more difficult to lift things too.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41169 on: December 23, 2011, 07:44:58 pm »

I find assembly programming to be neat, but it's more hassle than I like to deal with if I can help it.  The only really remotely complicated assembly program I've ever written was a bootloader for my hobby OS (never went anywhere, of course).  That was fun, but debugging it...

Actually, I'm having difficulty imagining why you would be programming a mainframe in assembly these days, but it's hardly my area of expertise.  :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41170 on: December 23, 2011, 07:55:33 pm »

Ordinarily, I just manage to ignore the emotions in my life. And when, that fails I just drink until I can't feel feelings anymore. However, right now it's pretty difficult to ignore with the holidays and a lack of any family. The ones I have see me perhaps once a year. I swear, they only look up my name when they need a lawyer because they can't stop breaking the law for not reason.

I truly hate feeling feelings, seeing as they tend to cut into my productivity of the many things I've gotta do. I've come to the conclusion that there's no use really complaining about them, as I don't really want to bring people down about them. I'm trying to find that part of me that feels so I can strangle the shit out of it until it stops feeling.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:58:10 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41171 on: December 23, 2011, 08:05:52 pm »

I truly hate feeling feelings, seeing as they tend to cut into my productivity of the many things I've gotta do. I've come to the conclusion that there's no use really complaining about them, as I don't really want to bring people down about them. I'm trying to find that part of me that feels so I can strangle the shit out of it until it stops feeling.

This is why people joke about lawyers not having souls. They succeed in doing this.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41172 on: December 23, 2011, 08:18:34 pm »

I think I'm going to have to break a Christmas family tradition of more than 10 years: Super Smash Bros.
It's like the family sport, we play it at every gathering.

Anyway the problem is, someone put it in the wrong case and now someone else has it. Someone who doesn't bother picking up the phone, checking their email, or anything. So there's no way for me to get it back in time for tomorrow.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41173 on: December 23, 2011, 08:29:24 pm »

This is why people joke about lawyers not having souls. They succeed in doing this.

Joke? Na man, this is the result of practicing law and people don't appreciate it. :)

I think Heaven is a ghost town, and I don't think of it like that's the point or anything. I mean no one's good enough to go there. It's just Jesus playin' fetch with Old Yeller and nobody else.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 08:31:34 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41174 on: December 23, 2011, 08:43:29 pm »

I think Heaven is a ghost town, and I don't think of it like that's the point or anything. I mean no one's good enough to go there. It's just Jesus playin' fetch with Old Yeller and nobody else.

What exactly is good enough? and why do you mention it? Is that why you are unhappy?
Pages: 1 ... 2743 2744 [2745] 2746 2747 ... 8167