Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2739 2740 [2741] 2742 2743 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451436 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41100 on: December 22, 2011, 12:11:48 am »

So we get a call saying that this fairly critical medication needs to be given within 15 minutes. We hurry along, but we know we've got enough time to make absolutely sure we're doing it right, because shit's expensive and (like I said), fairly critical. We get it done, and the pharmacist actually takes off at a run to get it there. It arrives 11 minutes and a few seconds after we got the call.

Turns out we had 9 minutes. Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck.

I hope it turned out to be an unnecessary part of standard procedure, I guess.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41101 on: December 22, 2011, 02:56:07 am »

I am going to lose terribly in court tomorrow, because there is simply no way to win this. I have spent 7 nights from 4:00 PM until 11PM in the law library looking for anything and everything I can throw at them. Nothing. I expect to be paid less than $500 for this criminal case, which given my 49 hours invested equates to about $10.20/hour BEFORE expenses. I won't even tell you what it is after expenses.

I happen to know the officer is lying, because he has repeatedly done so before and I have pointed out discrepancies making his stories impossible (being documented as being in two places at the same time). He is doing so now, again. There is no admissible evidence make this known. There is inadmissible evidence.... My only chance is that he says something that allows me to bring in impeachment evidence.

Exhausted.

You, of course, know that in coming up against a seemingly unwinnable situation, your opponent will slip up, allowing you to mercilessly crush them using a finely honed combination of legal-jutsu and rapier wit, resulting in a flawless victory on your end. That's the way these situations always play out.

Here's hoping, anyway. Good luck.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41102 on: December 22, 2011, 02:58:41 am »

I am going to lose terribly in court tomorrow, because there is simply no way to win this. I have spent 7 nights from 4:00 PM until 11PM in the law library looking for anything and everything I can throw at them. Nothing. I expect to be paid less than $500 for this criminal case, which given my 49 hours invested equates to about $10.20/hour BEFORE expenses. I won't even tell you what it is after expenses.

I happen to know the officer is lying, because he has repeatedly done so before and I have pointed out discrepancies making his stories impossible (being documented as being in two places at the same time). He is doing so now, again. There is no admissible evidence make this known. There is inadmissible evidence.... My only chance is that he says something that allows me to bring in impeachment evidence.

Exhausted.

You, of course, know that in coming up against a seemingly unwinnable situation, your opponent will slip up, allowing you to mercilessly crush them using a finely honed combination of legal-jutsu and rapier wit, resulting in a flawless victory on your end. That's the way these situations always play out.

Here's hoping, anyway. Good luck.

Yeah, Truean. Good luck, and stay sharp.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41103 on: December 22, 2011, 02:59:46 am »

Try shouting HOLD IT! and TAKE THAT! a lot. Pointing fingers while yelling OBJECTION! also works.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why exactly is the evidence inadmissible?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41104 on: December 22, 2011, 03:40:34 am »

Took out holiday ornaments with the family... I suppose it should be happy times but I noticed how old my parents were and I had a huge wave of nostalgia surge over me as I looked at ornaments that we've had since I was a kid.

I do miss being younger- time to live it up with no regrets.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #41105 on: December 22, 2011, 05:07:54 am »

I'm really tired of Skyrim crashing whenever I alt+tab.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41106 on: December 22, 2011, 05:56:40 am »

I'm really tired of Skyrim crashing whenever I alt+tab.

play windowed.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #41107 on: December 22, 2011, 07:39:35 am »

I feel miserable today. I don't know what to do. Nothing's working.
Love, scriver~

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41108 on: December 22, 2011, 10:24:32 am »

Even if the case weren't locked under many layers of confidentiality rules which would prevent Truean from discussing pieces of evidence pertaining to the case at all, once evidence is inadmissible it gets locked under an even tighter "DON'T TELL ANYONE ABOUT THIS" confidentiality agreement to prevent lawyers from going around the system.

It's a disbarment offense if you're caught doing it in a lot of places, I'm pretty sure. Or at least close to that level.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41109 on: December 22, 2011, 10:59:04 am »

Took out holiday ornaments with the family... I suppose it should be happy times but I noticed how old my parents were and I had a huge wave of nostalgia surge over me as I looked at ornaments that we've had since I was a kid.

I do miss being younger- time to live it up with no regrets.

Yeah, had this exact thing happen a couple weeks ago.

Any time I think back to my childhood I start to realize that it's gone for good, and that nothing lasts forever.  Then I have to stop thinking about it, because it gets depressing.

I don't have any regrets, but man do I miss those days sometimes...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #41110 on: December 22, 2011, 11:18:18 am »

I have an animation to make and an essay to write, neither of which I'm good at doing or motivating myself to do.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41111 on: December 22, 2011, 12:51:33 pm »

My guess is because it can prove the cop is lying or somesuch. Nobody would care otherwise.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41112 on: December 22, 2011, 01:52:09 pm »

First winter break at this school, since I started half-way through last year.
Every year, we have the annual Reindeer Games, a bunch of different events between each class (Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, Seniors) and the faculty team.

Somehow, the faculty has won like 80 years in a row or something insane like that, and now I have seen firsthand how! Not quite outright cheating, but definitely some tricks up the sleeves. Examples:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh well, at least my game (Musical Chairs) was pretty fun, involving lots of getting sat on (skinny for the win!) and chairs collapsing under me. Sophomores got 3rd and 4th out of 10 people.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41113 on: December 22, 2011, 01:54:17 pm »

My guess is because it can prove the cop is lying or somesuch. Nobody would care otherwise.
But if it can prove that the cop is lying, why not submit it? It could be the key to the whole case.

Or am I misunderstanding things again? D:
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #41114 on: December 22, 2011, 02:22:16 pm »

Told I can't see my family for Christmas, because (according to my Mom) it would isolate my little sis, who I won't let near my son because she is unstable.

So we'll be at our home, my lovely wife and son. And that's fine, we can make our own traditions. But it's bullshit that little sis always gets her way, and keeps my son away from his grandparents, and that they are siding with someone who has been so disruptive to the family as a whole.
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com
Pages: 1 ... 2739 2740 [2741] 2742 2743 ... 8167