Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2736 2737 [2738] 2739 2740 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450039 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41055 on: December 20, 2011, 01:39:18 pm »

I don't suppose you're in, say, New England, and would be willing to notify me if something like that ever happens?

I haven't even had any legal problems, but I know if I did they would probably end up killing me if I had to face them on my own. But 75 a month is probably the most I could afford for something like that until I manage to slay the beast that is my 600 a month in school debts. :/

I'd probably do whatever I could to sell it to everybody I know, too - there are at least a few people I'd know would be interested.

I'd heard about those "modern retainers" and that always sounded like a scam to me, but what you're describing seems like something legitimately beneficial.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41056 on: December 20, 2011, 01:49:33 pm »

Good thing about the internet: You can get the idea out of something like this.

Bad thing about the internet: Good luck finding 50 people in the same city as you to implement it. :/
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41057 on: December 20, 2011, 01:51:13 pm »

I don't suppose you're in, say, New England, and would be willing to notify me if something like that ever happens?

I haven't even had any legal problems, but I know if I did they would probably end up killing me if I had to face them on my own. But 75 a month is probably the most I could afford for something like that until I manage to slay the beast that is my 600 a month in school debts. :/

I'd probably do whatever I could to sell it to everybody I know, too - there are at least a few people I'd know would be interested.

I'd heard about those "modern retainers" and that always sounded like a scam to me, but what you're describing seems like something legitimately beneficial.

Thank you. Unfortunately, I'm only licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio and the Northern Federal District of Ohio (Including Bankruptcy) currently (though I considered taking the Indiana Bar Exam too, I don't feel like killing myself again just yet). I do so appreciate the interest though I'm afraid you are geographically beyond my my ability to provide services to in any event.

Unfortunately there is something like this prepaid legal insurance thing and it often isn't the best, because they have a different philosophy than I do. They want to cram as many subscribers in as inhumanly possible, which inevitably overloads what few attorneys they have. The work product suffers and thus the clients suffer.

In simple sum, this is the difference between "law as a business" and "law as a profession," viewpoints. Yes, the "law as a profession" viewpoint, which is the older of the two, wishes to make money. It must, but that's not the main focus. The "law as a business viewpoint" says "cram as much in there as you can and take all the money with you when you die." The "law as a profession" says, "you know what, I've made six figures net after expenses this year and that seems to be reliable through the next few years, that's enough. I'll hire some younger lawyers and work less, see my kids, and my wife. That way she won't divorce me for working too much."

It really is the philosophy that makes the difference.

Good thing about the internet: You can get the idea out of something like this.

Bad thing about the internet: Good luck finding 50 people in the same city as you to implement it. :/

True, which is why I'd have to market it by giving free presentations to professional associations where business owners of a certain type meet. This would allow me to a.) prove I know what I'm talking about, b.) have the complexity of it glaze over their eyes at some point in front of someone who knows what they are doing, and c.) tailor it to my market.

I was never really trying to sell this online actually and certainly not here. I never take cases online as a rule for numerous ethical and geographic reasons. he asked a question about how legal services could be affordable, and I answered. :)

Sadly, it is incredibly difficult to get this sort of thing going. Meh, I might go down trying.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:57:38 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41058 on: December 20, 2011, 01:55:19 pm »

Well do you know what I can do to find someone local with that sort of philosophy? Because I'll be honest, I tend to stay away from hiring people for anything anymore, because every single time I do I get burnt or ripped off. But it sounds really good.

Ah well, I guess some things really are too good to be true. Hopefully if you do end up doing something like that it works out for you in the end.

(and boom, it comes back around to being appropriate for the thread)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:57:16 pm by GlyphGryph »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41059 on: December 20, 2011, 02:01:55 pm »

Well do you know what I can do to find someone local with that sort of philosophy? Because I'll be honest, I tend to stay away from hiring people for anything anymore, because every single time I do I get burnt or ripped off. But it sounds really good.

Ah well, I guess some things really are too good to be true. Hopefully if you do end up doing something like that it works out for you in the end.

(and boom, it comes back around to being appropriate for the thread)

It was always appropriate for the thread, a.) It's the right thing to do, but it loses out to greed, b.) It's incredibly difficult for me to do and might not happen, c.) It could actually give us something closer to that "Liberty and Justice for all," but very well may not, and d.) "Sadly, it is incredibly difficult to get this sort of thing going. Meh, I might go down trying."

Laments for Justice sound well suited to this thread. :)

Moreover, I honestly don't know where you could find someone with that philosophy anymore. This is especially true because most law students leave with six figures in debt, which forces them to worry about paying back school loans more than providing excellent service. They have no choice and are not really to blame.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41060 on: December 20, 2011, 02:35:03 pm »

"You're out of order, you're out of order, the whole damn system is out of order!"

Or something like that.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41061 on: December 20, 2011, 02:47:47 pm »

"You're out of order, you're out of order, the whole damn system is out of order!"

Or something like that.

Decent movie, bad lawyering. Al Pacino's character really screwed everything up with that. Actually, all he did was ensure the defendant, Forsythe, a competent defense. By refusing to represent his client, Pacino commits a breach of contract and is guilty of legal malpractice, which means the current proceedings would be declared a mistrial. Forsythe would get a whole new trial with a new attorney, probably one who doesn't share Pacino's moral hang-ups. Pacino's outburst would be inadmissible in the retrial and have no impact whatsoever. There are ways around knowingly putting witnesses paid to lie on the stand that are legal....

Instead, if this rule was in effect in his jurisdiction, http://www.americanbar.org/groups/professional_responsibility/publications/model_rules_of_professional_conduct/rule_3_3_candor_toward_the_tribunal.html, he could've handled the whole thing legally and not allowed a defense/whole new trial.

Hollywood screwing up law really gets me sad, cause then people think that's how it should go. :(

Please don't quote me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41062 on: December 20, 2011, 03:25:53 pm »

Yeah, I just meant the whole... system of educating and using lawyers is bloody fucked up. The way it is now, I mean.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41063 on: December 20, 2011, 03:28:43 pm »

Yeah, I just meant the whole... system of educating and using lawyers is bloody fucked up. The way it is now, I mean.

Yes, very yes.

Please don't quote me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41064 on: December 20, 2011, 04:45:57 pm »

I just realized I was missing my five flashdrives after my room got cleaned. In my perilous search, I stumbled on some presents that were given to me by my ex some SIX fucking years ago, languishing all that time in my limited storage space, just because I didn't have the heart to throw them away.

and I still don't.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #41065 on: December 20, 2011, 04:47:12 pm »

Well it turns out after tons of buildup, we didn't actually really help out my friend since the computer turned out to be a lemon. Just... Fucking great.

I seriously can't remember when was the last time I felt the rug was pulled out from under me so bad as now.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41066 on: December 20, 2011, 05:20:59 pm »

Well it turns out after tons of buildup, we didn't actually really help out my friend since the computer turned out to be a lemon. Just... Fucking great.

A lemon? What was your friend smoking?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41067 on: December 20, 2011, 05:24:10 pm »

Lemon: A term, often used in automotive circles, describing a specimen that fails shortly after purchasing, usually due to substandard building or design.

A very unofficial definition, but you get the idea.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41068 on: December 20, 2011, 05:46:14 pm »

Right now, there is a bar association Christmas Party going on (yes at an actual bar). I am at a law library, trying to figure out how in the crap to fend off the prosecution, given that my client is not in a good way. It seems I am being advised that the path to being a successful lawyer, is to get drunk with other lawyers (networking). It appears that studying your ass off and loading up on arguments to fling at the other side is not in the playbook.

I will surpass all of them, burn out or no.

Also I'm trying to keep a charity the bar association pretends to support (but as the one who handles the finances, they don't put money where mouths are) from going under given expenses and outflows. Have once less beer at that party you bastards, that'd go a long way towards balancing their books..... Many of you charge $300 or $400/hour. How lovely.

Why hello again Pride and Wrath, my old sins. :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:52:47 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41069 on: December 20, 2011, 06:23:51 pm »

Necro banning made me sad

This one's for you,Necro:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 ... 2736 2737 [2738] 2739 2740 ... 8167